Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blue Chip Pick for a bowlback?

Default Re: Blue Chip Pick for a bowlback?

I have used the BC jazz 35, but prefer the BC TD 35 or 40 for my bowlbacks. I have tried Dogal picks, they are okay but didn't "wow" me. However, I didn't hate them either.

2. The following members say thank you to LadysSolo for this post:

This is a topic worth revisiting. Bowlbacks are different but among players of that type of mandolin, there are as many variations in chosen picks as there are players. I would not say it is a rule that lighter strings "prefer" a lighter pick, though, in general the gauge of pick is lighter than some preferred by some carved-top players.

The Roman/Ranieri is a very different animal and takes a change of technique especially for tremolo. It also requires a change in grip and works sort of like a violin bow being more sensitive to changes in grip pressure. They are not a light gauge pick tho. The ones I made of Ultem sheet actually worked pretty nicely. The subset of classical players who actually play using these picks is actually quite small.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

4. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    This is a topic worth revisiting. Bowlbacks are different but among players of that type of mandolin, there are as many variations in chosen picks as there are players. I would not say it is a rule that lighter strings "prefer" a lighter pick, though, in general the gauge of pick is lighter than some preferred by some carved-top players. .
    My excursions into classical, and into classical ensemble playing, (and the recommendations and general influence of folks on this site, especially you Jim, and DavidKOS) have really made me appreciate the higher tones of these eight string wonders.

One might think to match the instrument to the pick, so bowls, characterized by brilliant tone, might match the lighter pointier pick in order to bring that out more.

OTOH I have been using the lighter pointier picks on other mandolins, and the effect is equally dramatic. Those little picks put a whole new third floor and penthouse of great tone on my Stiver. Boy those high notes sound great.

So maybe we match the pick to the music being played, not necessarily the instrument, and for classical I have really lost my affection for the heavy deep picks with the creamy tone - as it gets in the way of the scintillating required by the music.

I dunno. I find myself in flux again. Where I was so sure before.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

6. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    So maybe we match the pick to the music being played, not necessarily the instrument, and for classical I have really lost my affection for the heavy deep picks with the creamy tone - as it gets in the way of the scintillating required by the music.

I dunno. I find myself in flux again. Where I was so sure before.
    I think you have a good point there, and it's not just on the end of the pick.

The choice of pick may be like the choice of a golf club - you pick what's best for the shot and hole. No one uses their favorite club for putting and driving.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    The choice of pick may be like the choice of a golf club - you pick what's best for the shot and hole..
    I picture a caddy who comes with me everywhere, and carries my ever burgeoning collection of picks in a huge sack, and suggest the pick for the tune I am about to play. "Now on this tune you want that high high F to really shine, so I would suggest..."
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

9. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I picture a caddy who comes with me everywhere, and carries my ever burgeoning collection of picks in a huge sack, and suggest the pick for the tune I am about to play. "Now on this tune you want that high high F to really shine, so I would suggest..."
    So you got my image!

$35 is also too much money for a pick, seriously, what's it made of, gold?
    It's only too much if you're not willing to spend it. Personally, the improvement in handling, smoothness and complexity of tone it provides for me was well worth the money. I have several other picks that do a very good job, but I always come back to the Blue Chip.

There used to be lots of pros that were willing to spend $75-$100 for real tortoise picks, because at the time it was the only material that gave them the tone they wanted. Many of those players now are using BC.

Lots of players are willing to spend several thousand dollars on a quality mandolin, but are unwilling to spend $35 on a pick. Go figure.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Are there any commercially available Ranieri picks that aren't incredibly expensive?

Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    It's only too much if you're not willing to spend it. Personally, the improvement in handling, smoothness and complexity of tone it provides for me was well worth the money. I have several other picks that do a very good job, but I always come back to the Blue Chip.

There used to be lots of pros that were willing to spend $75-$100 for real tortoise picks, because at the time it was the only material that gave them the tone they wanted. Many of those players now are using BC.

Lots of players are willing to spend several thousand dollars on a quality mandolin, but are unwilling to spend $35 on a pick. Go figure.
    You sum up the reasons given in this thread for using BC's quite well.

So far the couple BC's I bought proved to be good picks but nothing better than a Primetone in terms of playability for me. Obviously others have had much more favorable results.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Heddinger View Post
    Are there any commercially available Ranieri picks that aren't incredibly expensive?
    I assume you mean less than 35 bucks for the RB?

http://www.redbeartrading.com/ccp8/i...show&ref=RMNTS

instructions for making your own:

http://www.embergher.com/index.php?id=56

also search for threads on this subject on the Cafe forum

Not to get into yet another BC thread, but frankly I get as good a tone from ultem plastic picks as from BCs. The real plus for me for the BC is on rhythm guitar, especially when I play old time backup. I play pretty heavily and when using a large triangle ultem pick end up with rough surfaces after a short time of playing. The BC I use now has probably lasted over 4 or 5 years and with no visible wear. They are made of Meldin, a super hard plastic that is also super expensive which accounts for the price. I priced a 12"X12" sheet a few years ago with the idea of making Ranieri picks from it and one sheet costs $1300 from a wholesaler. The sheets of ultem are much less money and I would recommend buying that for anyone who wants to play with odd-shaped picks. Ultem is prob a lot easier to work with too.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

Outrageous. Carve them out of plastic milk jug tops - give'em a nice bevel and save your money

I actually did this about 50 years ago, when I didn't HAVE any money. Can't say they sounded too good but then I didn't have money for strings either. Also, not sophisticated enough for the bevel part. Not even sure I'm sophisticated enough for that now.