Thread: No Affiliations: Near Mint 50 yr old Kent Emando on local CL

Default No Affiliations: Near Mint 50 yr old Kent Emando on local CL

Looks pretty clean....

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/msg/5103684211.html

- - - Updated - - -

And only 750 Clams...

Default Re: No Affiliations: Near Mint 50 yr old Kent Emando on local CL

$750? Someone is dreaming in color. $75, maybe.

Kents were part of the Japanese/Tiesco imports from the '60's and early '70's. Largely pretty junky then and can't see them having improved with age.

If you like the aesthetics and can make it work, great, but it's a project. There's usually a reason an instrument that old is in unplayed condition.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

seen on ebay for $250 played one with mandola strings,but not plugged in to an amp found out that the neck length is somewhere between a mandola and a mandolin

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

There's another one this time on ebay still too much

http://m.ebay.com/itm/131550956132?_mwBanner=1
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

That's the same one, and it has a bid at $500. Cue the Everly Brothers.

I've been able to sell these for more than $75, but $750 is too much.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I got one of those from you Martin. Don't recall what I paid, or if we did a trade. They're pretty cool instruments, and certainly have that 60's vibe. I found the scale a little long for my liking, so I sold it on consignment at a local music store. Apparently a guy that was passing through from Thailand bought it and thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen.
    Chief. Way up North. Gibson 1917 A model with pickup. JL Smith 5 string electric. 1929 National Triolian resonator mandolin with pickup. National RM 1 with pickup. Ovation Applause. Fender FM- 60 E 5 string electric (with juiced pickups). 1950's Gibson EM-200 electric mandolin. 1954 Gibson EM-150 electric mandolin. Custom made "Jett Pink" 5 string electric- Bo Diddley slab style. Jay Roberts Tiny Moore model 5 string electric.

That's right, Steve ... was yours sunburst or blonde?

I have fond memories of Blondie ... one of the first e-mandos I ever "flipped." She was one of these Kent 744s. They came in cherry red and white as well as blonde and sunburst. They probably work best as mandolas because of the long scale. You can tune an .009 string to E at 16 inches, but it's a bit like playing a cheese slicer.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

What is the scale?

My reso-mando is 15" an I found GHS Ultralites work very well for GDAE tuning. I've pondered tuning it mandola...

- ---==< V >==--- -

SF bay area is one big price bubble these days ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru View Post
    If you like the aesthetics and can make it work, great, but it's a project. There's usually a reason an instrument that old is in unplayed condition.
    Yeah, no one can figure out the tuning. As Martin said, they're pretty uncomfortable tuned as a mandolin. Not many mandola players around anymore, much less emandola players.

Definitely a pawn shop vibe, but $75 is as unrealistic as $750, even in this market. I think I paid $250-300 for mine about 10-15 years ago..

You're OBVIOUSLY not a Tekno fan.. :p

Mine was sunburst Martin. At the 16 inch scale, I believe it's supposed to be tuned like a mandola. Mine was, and it gave it a lower almost guitar sound.
    Chief. Way up North. Gibson 1917 A model with pickup. JL Smith 5 string electric. 1929 National Triolian resonator mandolin with pickup. National RM 1 with pickup. Ovation Applause. Fender FM- 60 E 5 string electric (with juiced pickups). 1950's Gibson EM-200 electric mandolin. 1954 Gibson EM-150 electric mandolin. Custom made "Jett Pink" 5 string electric- Bo Diddley slab style. Jay Roberts Tiny Moore model 5 string electric.

Quote Originally Posted by Treblemaker View Post
    Looks pretty clean....

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/msg/5103684211.html

- - - Updated - - -

And only 750 Clams...
    I'm the seller of this mandolin. I tested the waters on CL for $750 and have now moved the sale over to Ebay, here: http://r.ebay.com/qe4eOT

The bidding starts at $500.

I absolutely do not run a pawn shop and in my opinion is worth at least $500. Here is a "blonde" version of the same Kent 744 model, which sold on Ebay for $750. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1960s-MIJ-KE...l2557#viTabs_0 I realize of course, that version is more rare than the one I am selling, so a) that's why I dropped the starting bid to $500 and b) this mandolin is in much better shape than the one that sold for $750!

Why is it in such great shape? Here's the background on it:

My parents bought it for me after I (stupidly) discontinued my violin in favor of this mandolin. At the time, I was just a young boy in the 60s and to me, it looked like a mini electric guitar (and I wanted to be like the Beatles!) When I started taking lessons, I found out what mandolin music really was like, at least to my private mandolin teacher Tiny Moore, (tremolo, all that), and I lost interest in it. (Note: I didn't know Tiny Moore was so "big" until I just Googled his name and read about him on Wikipedia.)

Anyway, I practiced enough to get calluses on my fingers, but then lost interest and dropped out of it. Now I wish I had stuck with it, but that was my decision at about 7 years old. Since my parents would not allow me to switch back to the violin (my dad was tough on me and we "didn't have the money!"), so the mando stayed in it's case, either under my bed or in the closet all these years until now. I've recently had a death in my family and I now need the cash. Plus, I'm 56 now and know that now is the time to sell it.

It's in near-new condition, a true rarity, from what I've seen on the web, with these same mandolins banged up and missing their original parts, after decades of use. This one that I am selling had maybe only 6 months use, at most! Like I said in the ad, short of having a time machine, you will not find one in better shape!

So that's it. I need the money to pay bills and beauty is in the eye of the beholder, hence the price. If anyone has any questions, I'll be happy to answer them.
    Last edited by DougRobinson2024; Jul-08-2015 at 12:20am.

As said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I had a Tiesco Silvertone as my first electric guitar - I think these all came from the same factory. Part of the ####### that washed ashore through Jack Westheimer [http://www.vintageguitar.com/1933/jack-westheimer/]. It was pretty horrible and largely the cause for me giving up on guitar early in the game.

The reality is it has some retro-chic going on. As long as the neck isn't compromised - as many of them were - they can be turned into a playable instrument with time and money. The electronics, particularly the pickup, are some of the worst junk - poorly made, windings that break, not potted and single-coil hummmm all day long.

Assuming it's in the same condition all these instruments were when they were offered for sale expect a fret-dress and setup [once you've figured out what strings to play] and a reworking of the electronics. Not many of these had adjustable truss-rods, so if the neck is wonky, there's not much you can do about it.

OTOH you can buy a brand new Fender, Eastwood, Morgan Munroe etc. emando for under $300 that will be 10 times the instrument and come much better setup from the factory/sellers. Used, they sell for even less.

Don't mean to rain on your parade, Doug, just being real about what I see. There is a generation of young people who don't have a point of reference for how horrible the ####### was and may ante up for the retro-chic of it - in that case, my best advice is to grab the money and run!
    Last edited by JEStanek; Jul-08-2015 at 8:58pm. Reason: language

- ---==< V >==--- -

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I think it looks really cool and would look great in my collection and someone must like it better than all of us cause he has a bid so it will sell
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

Quote Originally Posted by darrylicshon View Post
    I think it looks really cool and would look great in my collection and someone must like it better than all of us cause he has a bid so it will sell
    Yeah, thanks Darryl! I still think it looks really cool too!

And I remember how it sounded in the hands of my instructor Tiny Moore--it was magic! I guess a skilled musician can make even "<Removed by Moderator>" sound fantastic. It all comes down to the musical skill and prowess of the performer! (No offense, Verne!)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141207_124930.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	136208 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141207_125010.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	136209

Like I said in the Ebay auction, just about brand, spankin' new! http://r.ebay.com/qe4eOT

(Note: It's been restrung and tuned by Guitar of Sacramento since this pic was taken last month.)
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Jul-08-2015 at 5:33pm. Reason: Added picture

Now that the owner of this item has chimed in and linked to his auction we are running afoul of the posting guidelines:

Refrain from using the forum as a point of purchasing or selling items or for the purpose of discussing or linking to items you are selling. Please limit selling and buying activities to the Classifieds section of this web site or other external locations.

We'll just close the thread and leave it as is. Thanks.
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Jul-10-2015 at 3:07pm.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber