Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How Many Of You Play Music Every Day????????????

Default Re: How Many Of You Play Music Every Day????????????

I play every day. Gig, teach, practice, play with friends. I love it all!

Yep. I like to play as much as possible. My wife and I went on our ten year anniversary down to the Oregon coast and we went for a hike through some meadow. Anyways to make a long story short she slipped and sprained her wrist badly. So we went to the emergency room. Well there happened to be a music store two blocks from the hospital that happened to have a Breedlove Crossover 00 Nat that was taunting me from an earlier visit to said music shop. So I bought the mandolin after sitting with a few locals, playing tunes and swapping stories. The owner of the store threw in a new strap and strings. After about two or so hours go by with no news as if my wife had been seen yet. I walked back to the emergency room new mandolin cradled in my arms like a newborn baby. I passed through into the magical world of ER waiting rooms. Playing "The Road to Lisdoonvarna". My wife looked up, saw me and, and to my surprise wasn't pissed at what I was carrying. I believe she was still in shock from the tumble she took earlier. As I was played through a few of my favorite fiddle tunes I was also surprised at how few people were bothered with my playing. I then came to the realization that, well of course most of the patrons of the fine state of Oregons health care establishments aren't pissed! They just legalized a plant for recreational purposes that has been known to "alter" ones mood. So I had a captive audience and apparently people playing music publicly is not uncommon in that state. There were a lot of elderly people that seemed to enjoy the tunes I played for them. I only had one person walk away that clearly could not stand my rotation of tunes. And one lady asked if it was a ukulele. I didn't get upset with her I kindly corrected her. By the time we were leaving I had met a few really cool people and hopefully put a few smiles on a few faces. I recommend always taking a mandolin to a waiting room if possible. Unless of course you're the one who is being treated. It was by far the best time I have ever had in an emergency room waiting area.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to brandnewsaga For This Useful Post:

I attempt to practice at least am hour or so everyday, unfortunately it's less on weekends usually because I'm a truck driver and have more time on the road but yeah I try and play some everyday, don't know that I'm good enough yet to call it "music" though lol

5. The following members say thank you to TheOne-N-OnlyHomer for this post:

As most here.. I try to practice everyday, but in reality it's more like focused practice 3-4 a week and aimless playing the rest of the time.
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

I play every day, but I need to get more focused and structured. I might take lessons starting sometime this summer.
    Last edited by bruce.b; Jul-04-2015 at 9:48pm.

I try to play everyday but between hiking, kayaking, woodcarving, bycycling and work it reallty doesn't happen everyday like I would hope
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

9. The following members say thank you to woodwizard for this post:

Mindin' my own bizness BJ O'Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I play everyday in 20 minute clumps. Usually get in a couple for 40-60 minutes. Sometimes it's just noodling. Sometimes it's focused on areas I need to improve upon. Even on bad days when I can't fret a note correctly I still enjoy the playing time.
    BJ

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BJ O'Day For This Useful Post:

I play every day BUT I wouldn't call it music!!
    John

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John MacPhee For This Useful Post:

I play most days. My work schedule is 57 hours where I stay at the hospital from Saturday morning til Monday night. I do have a Mandolin in my locker and sometimes get a chance to play, sometime not. On my 4 days off it is a rare day that I don't play. There is a weekly jam at the grocery co-op as well as another starting up at a pub, I rehearse with my Bassist most weeks and we have a regular monthly gig as well as random jobs that come up. An hour or 2 playing in my studio is also common most mornings I am home as well, though in the summer, I am likely to be outside instead. So, for me it's not quite "Every Day" but certainly most.
    Jim Richmond

Blog Entries

I play everyday. I have been at it for over 50 years, more on the guitar, but I got my first vintage Gibson A in 1982, so I added mandolin. I am fortunate to be retired, and thus I can make music my daily activity, passion and consuming interest. The Cafe has given me a renewed pursuit of the mandolin, though guitar, songwriting and entertaining have been with me since I was a boy. I play country, blues, folk, gospel and rock-- 2 to 3 hours per day.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lflngpicker For This Useful Post:

I was playing every day when I lived alone. Now that I have a house full of family (with teenagers), and my semi retirement is less semi, I've gone weeks without picking up my mandolin. It's making me pretty sad. I'm in the process of cutting down my work hours and the family doesn't expect me to cook for them anymore. I've been so burned out from working and family chores, all I want to do is have a whiskey sour and hang out or watch TV come evening. Big no bueno as a daily routine.

Of course, I may get a little revenge since my new banjo is on its way. They loved my mandolin playing (although the 13 year old said I played some songs too much: told her this was called practice) …. we'll see what the banjo playing does …. they might beg me to pickup my mandolin while they do dishes.
    Just visiting.

1923 Gibson A jr Paddlehead mandolin
    Newish Muddy M-4 Mandolin
    New Deering Goodtime Special open back 17 Fret Tenor Banjo

Mindin' my own bizness BJ O'Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Loretta Callahan View Post
    all I want to do is have a whiskey sour and hang out or watch TV come evening.
    \

If I practice after dinner I don't turn on the TV. "Double benefit". I hate looking at the clock and seeing I spent three or four hours watching the tube.
    BJ

I usually keep one handy on a stand so I can grab it at any odd moment, that insures I'll play every day. You'll find this advice in many beginner instrument books: keep your chosen instrument out of the case and close at hand as much as possible and you'll find yourself playing far more frequently.

Recently I got sick of seeing the dang thing staring at me every day, in an accusatory fashion (imo), so I put it in its case. After less than a day I got so antsy I ended up taking it back out. My fingers just didn't know what to do and were getting all fidgety.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Petrus For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
    I usually keep one handy on a stand so I can grab it at any odd moment, that insures I'll play every day.
    After the new wore off of guitar (for me) I found this very true. By keeping it out, I was more likely to play it.

With mandolin this is not an issue. If I locked it away in a vault - I'd be playing it every chance. It's the darndest spare time (and not so spare time) magnet ever and I can't really explain why.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Wilson For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    If I locked it away in a vault - I'd be playing it every chance. It's the darndest spare time (and not so spare time) magnet ever and I can't really explain why.
    Very true.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Shredded Cheese Authority Emmett Marshall's Avatar

I'm play almost every day for about an hour or so. I am also teaching bluegrass to an African Grey Parrot who has a very nasty way of letting me know when he thinks I sound terrible.
    Weber F5 Bitteroot Octave - "...romantic and very complicated."
    My instruments professionally maintained by...RSW
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7UmUX68KtE

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Emmett Marshall View Post
    I am also teaching bluegrass to an African Grey Parrot who has a very nasty way of letting me know when he thinks I sound terrible.
    My dog comes to sit nearby when I play in the evening. There are a couple of tunes I play that will make him wander off every time. OJC in particular is not a tune he will sit thru for the second time.

every day at least an hour
    when i prepared for a Vivaldi mandolin concerto performance in May
    two hours a day for 4 months
    John

2012 Collins MT-2 Birds Eye Maple
    1924 Gibson F-4
    2010 Custom National Resonator (one of a kind)
    1930 National Resonator with new custom neck and "Doug Unger" inlay and back painted by Howard "Louie Bluie" Armstrong
    2005 Godin A-8
    2013 Kentucky KM-1050 "stage and club mandolin"

lost in the woods below Lake Tahoe, California

My dog comes to sit nearby when I play in the evening. There are a couple of tunes I play that will make him wander off every time. OJC in particular is not a tune he will sit thru for the second time.
    I used to sit back in a comfy chair with a 5-string banjo or grandpa's ancient banjo-mandolin on my lap. My amazing cat would jump onto my knee, place her head next to the banjo head, and dig in her claws and howl with the high notes. What a perv. (Yes, I learned to put a thick towel across my knee.)

Quote Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
    I usually keep one handy on a stand so I can grab it at any odd moment, that insures I'll play every day. You'll find this advice in many beginner instrument books: keep your chosen instrument out of the case and close at hand as much as possible and you'll find yourself playing far more frequently.
    I keep instruments leaning around my at-home sit-down work spaces, in the bedroom, and I *should* get a plastic 'uke to leave on the front porch. Handy instruments get played. Cased instruments don't. My wife encouraged me to turn one wall of our morning room into a music showplace; a couple dozen acoustic axes (and other noisemakers) are facing me at this very moment. Let's see, it's the Harmonia mandola's turn...
    Mandos: Coleman & Soviet ovals; Kay & Rogue A5's; Harmonia F2 & mandola
    Ukuleles: 3 okay tenors; 3 cheap sopranos; Harmonia concert & baritone
    Banjos: Gretsch banjolin; Varsity banjolele; Orlando 5-string; fretless & fretted Cümbüs o'uds
    Acoustic guitars: Martin Backpacker; Ibanez Performance; Art et Lutherie; Academy dobro; Ovation 12-string
    Others: Maffick & First Act dulcimers; Mexican cuatro-menor; Puerto Rican cuatro; Martin tiple; electrics
    Wanted: charango; balalaika; bowlback mando

28. The following members say thank you to k0k0peli for this post:

I try to pick up an instrument every day. I am finding I play more OM than mandolin as time goes on. it just fits solo accompaniment much better.
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by k0k0peli View Post
    Handy instruments get played. Cased instruments don't.
    For some reason, it has always been the exact opposite for me. I had some instruments on stands for years, and I have lots of them on the walls today - they all display a common expression of silent reproach, unpleasant, like Mom saying "did you do your practising today?"

But the ones I play most are those giving me the prelude of unlatching, unzipping. My choice, my time, not theirs.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Hey, I feel the same way as your dog about Old Joe Clark! Great minds think alike?

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sblock For This Useful Post:

Sometimes I don't pick up an instrument for weeks; it's usually the case that some really good stuff comes pouring out of me after that sort of hiatus.

34. The following members say thank you to Bob A for this post: