Thread: flatwound e-strings?

Default flatwound e-strings?

I recently bought a set of Pyramid flatwound strings and like the sound they produce on my Pomeroy A2. To my ear, they sound even softer than Thomastiks, a sound that mixes well with that of a classical guitar.
    I recorded the Siciliana by Pergolesi played in the third position, relying mostly on the d and a string, but everytime I had to play a note on the high e-string, there was a huge difference in the sound, the notes sounded piercing compared to those on the wound strings.
    Are there flatwound e-strings? They probably wouldn't last long.
    Or any other ideas how I could tone down the sound of the high e-strings? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSPQMm2FlFM

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Others more knowledgeable than I may correct me but you could put normal eStrings on. The e isn't wound do a mellower brand might work.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Default Re: flatwound e-strings?

Others more knowledgeable than I may correct me but you could put normal eStrings on. The e isn't wound do a mellower brand might work.
    Yes, didn't think of that. A regular 011 could give a slightly mellower sound. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't know of any wound e strings. I think the core would be way too thin. I always found the Thomastik e string a bit more mellow than other plain e strings. They're gold tinned and maybe it's my imagination but I feel it makes a difference.

5. The following members say thank you to mandobassman for this post:

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Even wound A strings are pretty delicate. I doubt that E strings would hold up at all.. The only thing I can think of is to experiment with E string gauges. Single plain steel strings are cheap.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

7. The following members say thank you to Paul Busman for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Never seen a wound E .... though some alloys and gauges ring more loudly than others ..... try some single E strings from one of the string vendors... otherwise it's mix and match and that can be expensive... luck . R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crisscross View Post
    Are there flatwound e-strings? They probably wouldn't last long.
    It seems that Hannabach once did but longer does. I embarked on a quest to locate some NOS earlier this year, even posted a WTB ad, but both invariably ended up with the the newer unwound string. Good luck in your search and please report back if you find something. I have a National RM-1 fitted with Thomastik-Infeld Starks and a Flatiron 1N with Mittels, and like you, I find the transition from the wound A to the unwound E jarring, moreso as the strings age.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    It seems that Hannabach once did but longer does....Good luck in your search...
    Ditto.

I telephoned Hannabach earlier this year and they confirmed that they no longer produce wound E strings. The only solution I can think of would be to try a wound violin E string.
    It is true that there are differing qualities in plain wire E strings. D'Addario are very bright and hard, and last a long time. Thomastik are softer, and break more easily. I don't believe it's just the gold plating, the strings also feel more flexible when they're not under tension.
    "Give me a mandolin and I'll play you rock 'n' roll" (Keith Moon)

Die drawn steel music wire in a plain E is smooth enough

Had the D'Add FT 74, the wound A's core wire is Super thin ,
    and less than the thinnest E I've ever seen.

used to plain A's they break promptly..

now E strings on a Bass thats a different story..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Since I am not an acoustic engineer I would like to pose a question and this seems like a good place to get an answer....

A heavier gauge string needs to be adjusted tighter to get it up to standard pitch so my question is, Do they tend to sound more piercing than a string of lesser gauge? It would seem that the tighter the string the more piercing it would be, if that is the case than would using a .010 gauge E string tend to give a less piercing tone? That may sound confusing to some but it is something I have wondered about for some time and have never used a .010 E string, I have gone to a lighter gauge A string (.015) than I normally use and it didn`t seem to help any....In fact it was more piercing than the .016...Any opinions on this?

Willie

On my 1922 A gibson an .010" E string sounds Fine. , the .015" A is part of the set..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

In fact it was more piercing than the .016...Any opinions on this?
    I would guess, a heavier string gauge produces a more mellow, less piercing sound.
    Jazz guitar players for example use string sets with a 012 E-string, whereas country players use 009 or 010.
    There are other factors contributing to the Tele-twang vs. Archtop-mellowness but one factor is the string gauge.

Try playing the E string notes higher up on the wound A strings...

Nice job on the Pergolesi.

I don't notice a big difference in tone colour. But it couldn't hurt to work on exercises where you focus on evening out the sound at every string crossing. Also, in general I'd avoid open E as much as possible.

As Polecat says, wound E strings exist for violin. They're usually aluminum over steel, and come in a range of gauges. Same pitch and scale length, but an expensive proposition.

17. The following members say thank you to Bruce Clausen for this post:

Hannah Bach should make these strings again someday cause they're cool.