Thread: Bowlback Mandolin

Does anyone know where I can find replacement for turn of the century mandolin? I do not have the original. Maybe someone who makes these parts.
    2013 Northfield Big Mon #223
    2004 Gibson A9
    1981 #1132 Flatiron 1N
    2013 Gibson F9

Dreaming of a Pomeroy F5 Blonde w Engelmann ?

www.fqms.com has them as does stew-mac I believe. Not difficult to find at all and the folks as First Quality Music Sourse are real nice to deal with.
    Oh, I wish I was in the land of cotton. . .

Bigbike4: are you sure that FQMS or Stew-Mac have bridge blanks suitable for vintage bowlbacks? On the FQMS web site, I can only see Gibson-type adjustable bridges for archtops. It's relatively straightforward to get generic flattop bridge blanks (Eldely stock them, for example), but these are usually maple or rosewood and even if one can get an ebony blank, they require extensive whittling down and customising before you can put them on an old bowlback. Bridge construction varies significantly between different makers, and a de Meglio bridge, for example, is rather different from a Vega bridge, which is rather different again from a Calace bridge. In effect, you're going to need to do a lot of handcarving or you will end up with an inappropriately-looking bridge.

Martin

I looked at first quality and did not see anything like what I had in mind for replacing the bridge on what I think is a George Bauer mandolin. Do I need a resonable fascsimle for someone to recreate this? The original bridge is lost so Im not sure where to start.
    2004 Gibson A9
    1981 #1132 Flatiron 1N
    2013 Gibson F9

I don't know which type of bridge the Bauer would have had, but making a facsimile of a Vega bridge is probably not going to be too far off. Maybe you could do a search for other Bauer pictures to get an idea. For a pretty good overview of the different types of bridges common in bowlbacks, see this thread.

Martin

I am also pretty sure that FQMS or Stew-Mac don't have these bridges, tho Stew-Mac does supply a compensated non-adjustable all ebony blank for its Campfire kit. I imagine it would be possible to get one of those.

International Luthier Supply lists one but it is backorder for some time (supposedly coming in any day now) and while it might work all right would not be resemble to original either.

Attached are photos of two bridges that were on mid- to upper-end Bauers on eBay. One of them is posiitoned backwards but I would go with that configuration. It is also similar to the aforementioned Vega bridge/saddles.

Jim

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bauer_bridges.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	8177  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Thanks for the pics,as I dont do this type of work,can a novice try it or would you suggest someone already skilled in this field. Thanks Mark
    2004 Gibson A9
    1981 #1132 Flatiron 1N
    2013 Gibson F9

If you are an expert in model making or microsurgery or just feel like dealing with things on this level, go ahead. The worst that can happen is you mess it up. Otherwise, it will cost you something for a good luthier to make one, tho small these things would take some time. Otherwise, if you can find a "meantime" bridge to fool around with. I still can't get hold of International Luthiers to get my order together and am about to give up on them for those flattop bridges they purport to carry.

As I have mentioned on some thread, I just got a StewMac Campfire kit and it comes with a nice compensate ebony bridge blank. I am going to ask them to see if they would sell those separately.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by (jgarber @ April 21 2005, 06:42)
    As I have mentioned on some thread, I just got a StewMac Campfire kit and it comes with a nice compensate ebony bridge blank. I am going to ask them to see if they would sell those separately.
    I heard from Stew-Mac and they said they would not sell these bridge blanks separately. Perhaps if a few of us bombarded them with requests they might change their tune.

The power of the Order of the Bowl...

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

I'd be most interested in making you one of these bridges Markel, Jim's photos are enough to go off of, it'd be fun. I usually charge $65 for custom bridges. Any way you want it.

I would be most interested in having you make one,Im still waiting on the instrument I need it for. I will have to have some major repairs done to it first and then I would like to contact you for your help, thanks Markelberry
    2004 Gibson A9
    1981 #1132 Flatiron 1N
    2013 Gibson F9