Thread: Will I Want A Bowlback?

Registered User Vincent Capostagno's Avatar

Default Will I Want A Bowlback?

We recently completed a discussion about the Need for a "Bowlback" to play classical mandolin. I would like to rephrase the question. Here is the genesis for my question.
    I enjoy recreating some of our older, traditional repertoire (real roots music). I have had no particular difficulty in playing selections from Alan Alexander's medieval and renaissance books, John LaBarbara's Southern Italian songs, and most of Marilynn Mair's classical exercises on my Old Wave Oval A. I recently viewed Lichtenberg's demonstration of 18th century arpeggio and tremolo techniques and I was wondering if I would be able to reproduce the technique and tone on a high tension arched instrument or would I be more satisfied using a low tension instrument such as a Phoenix Neoclassical, Lyon and Healy or a good bowlback. I would appreciate it if some of our members who have played both types would share their preferences and reasons.

Default Re: Will I Want A Bowlback?

If the mandolin is well set up, then a good player can play anything on any mandolin. Bowl, archtop, flat, resonator, banjo-mandolin, whatever.

Like you say, though, there is a feel difference. I personally like the fell of the lower tension lighter strings on the shorter-scale bowlback to the heavier strings on the longer scale of the typical Gibson and Gibson-copy mandolins.

Other people may like the higher tension and longer scale length, of course. Only you can really judge that.

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

You might also consider a short-scale contemporary instrument, such as a flat top by Mike Dulak of Big Muddy fame (great value) or one of Dave Cohen's Classical arch top model mandolins. Both luthiers are fine gentlemen. I've never played a Neoclassical but have read outstanding reviews about Rolfe's Gerhardt's instruments. The L&H is a beautiful instrument and is somewhere between a bowlback and arch top in sound, IMHO.
    My suggestion would be to play as many of these instruments as you can and judge for yourself.
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas

To the general question, "Will I want a bowlback?", the short answer is "Yes".

Investment in personal happiness, and all that...

Cheers,

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vkioulaphides View Post
    To the general question, "Will I want a bowlback?", the short answer is "Yes".
    Nothing more to it than that.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Whatever you get now, you will eventually get a bowlback. Who is kidding who?

Its another one of those: "Here is what I really want. Is it perhaps more logical (smarter, savvy) to get almost what I really want?" threads.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

You don't have to have one, but you'll most likely end up getting one. However, I don't think you'll reproduce Caterina Lichtenberg without a specific type of bowl, a modern German Bowlback. Different bred all to themselves, and God willing (and academic scholarships given to my daughter$) I'll buy one some day. Otherwise I'll keep enjoying the ones I have: 2 Japanese builds (another one its way) one Chinese, and a turn of the last century Joseph Bohmann.
    L&H is also on my list to procure, all wonderful tools to have in your toolbox. Odd thing about mandolins, when I am playing "Bells of Night" my Weber Gallatin F Mandolin closely resembles the sound Chris Acquavella gets on Praeludium--he recorded that on a Brian N Dean's take on a German Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Clements View Post
    You might also consider a short-scale contemporary instrument, such as a flat top by Mike Dulak of Big Muddy fame (great value) or one of Dave Cohen's Classical arch top model mandolins.
    Also Ernie Fischbach:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/...&submit=Search

http://www.institutefortraditionalst...ic_history.htm

Registered User Vincent Capostagno's Avatar

Thank you for your comments. I do appreciate the beauty in natural materials and love the appearance of distinctive woods. I also enjoy owning objects crafted by another human. Therefore Victor and Jeff are correct in pointing out that I want another mandolin. But which one. It is, after all, a music INSTRUMENT; made to produce beautiful sounds and that is the part I am having the most difficulty with. Every bowlback I have seen in a music shop has been in poor condition with old strings that the shop owner didn't want to bring up to tension, etc.(I'm sure you've all been there). The mandolin of my dreams is out there somewhere but the shape and location are somewhat hazy. But I can be both patient and persistent. There was a certain art poster I wanted that took 20 yrs of searching on 2 continents to acquire. Every time I look at it on my wall it brings back memories of all those gallery visits and conversations. Well worth the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Capostagno View Post
    The mandolin of my dreams is out there somewhere but the shape and location are somewhat hazy. But I can be both patient and persistent.
    And with that attitude you'll find the right one, best of luck.