Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to join a session?

Default Re: How to join a session?

I went to a session as a stranger last night and I was thinking: how would it have gone if I was in quietglow's (the originator of this thread) shoes?

After all, I've done this a hundred times and still I felt nervous walking into a room of strangers who all seemed to know each other. I just sat and sipped my drink and listened for a bit.

In the end I asked the mandolin player about his instrument and we ended up having a nice few tunes. The people were friendly and I think would have been the same to anyone at any level who asked if they could play a tune. Just pick something you're fairly sure they would know and they'll probably join in.

With all eyes on you, you might stumble a bit. I know I do and I've been doing it for years. Carry on as steadily as you can and it will get better.

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    There are hints of mandolins in the tradition from much further back than the 60's revival

And apparently there actually was such a thing as a "famous mandolin player" in traditional circles at the time, which is interesting.
    So it appears it was considered an appropriate instrument for Irish trad as far back as the 1920's, and then there was a period where not much was heard about them until the 60's folk revival.
    Mandolins were here (Northern Ireland) from at least the 1940s, when Italian Prisoners of War made and played them, and sold them, and in many cases married locals thereby bringing them into popular culture. My mother remembers Italians playing mandolins at Christmas concerts. There was always an Italian / Irish connection throughout the 20th century in many parts of Ireland; visiting sailors and immigrants brought their instruments with them, and Irish sailors brought mandolins and indeed other instruments back from other countries. Money was tight and people played whatever instruments they found in their homes or could buy. Pianos and organs for example were played as many churches had one, but rarely for traditional music; harps too were the preserve of the wealthy. There were strange instruments circulating the country for many years, played in small villages and country sessions where the cameras never went, but I’ve been told about one man playing a drum he brought back from Africa. “Well he brought the djembe to Ireland, you know…”
    "Danger! Do Not Touch!" must be one of the scariest things to read in Braille....

3. The following members say thank you to Colin Lindsay for this post:

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Here's an example of how not to join a session...
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

5. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

So I went back to the session I have been stalking last night. This was my third or fourth time. This time I got there plenty early, and only one of the regulars, a guy maybe in his 70s, was where the players sit. I ordered a beer and went over, and pulled up a stool next to him. Our conversation went something like this.

"Hello, my name is Joe. I've been coming for a few weeks to watch. Is the session open for people to join?" I figured I'd better start off with the obvious question.
    "Of course it is." I don't know why I didn't expect an Irish accent, but he had one. "What did you say your name is again?"
    "Joe, I play the mandolin, and I only know a few of the tunes you all play but I'll definitely learn them as I can."
    "No, I got the Joe part, what's your last name."
    "Kallo. I'm not Irish, but my wife is." I pointed over at her. "She's a Kelly."
    "Well good for her," he said smiling, "and we'll try not to hold it against you."

After that it was all swell. He told me to just bring my mando and sit in the circle the next time. I asked him if I should record and he said they'd just tell me the names of the songs if I didn't know them.

And that, I suppose, is how you join a session!

7. The following members say thank you to quietglow for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by quietglow View Post
    I suppose it is! I'm glad you're happy. Good stuff.
    David A. Gordon

Blog Entries

Good conclusion. Problem solved by being yourself.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Lindsay View Post
    There were strange instruments circulating the country for many years, played in small villages and country sessions where the cameras never went, but I’ve been told about one man playing a drum he brought back from Africa. “Well he brought the djembe to Ireland, you know…”
    So that's how the djembe got its foot in the session door. Probably the same dude that brought back a Cajón from a South American trip. That man has a lot to answer for!

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    Probably the same dude that brought back a Cajón from a South American trip. That man has a lot to answer for!
    Absolutely.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Thanks to all of you who posted in this thread. I was wondering how to go about getting into a session (to the point I had considered just pulling 1 together myself & seeing who showed up if I posted an invite in my area). Sounds like there needs to be more "formality" in planning; not just some people getting together to play. That's helpful as I do want to gain experience by watching/learning from others. I never realized that there was method to the seemingly "casual" gathering...now I know.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    Here's an example of how not to join a session...
    Nicely done!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by patty6363 View Post
    Thanks to all of you who posted in this thread. I was wondering how to go about getting into a session (to the point I had considered just pulling 1 together myself & seeing who showed up if I posted an invite in my area). Sounds like there needs to be more "formality" in planning; not just some people getting together to play. That's helpful as I do want to gain experience by watching/learning from others. I never realized that there was method to the seemingly "casual" gathering...now I know.
    Not every Irish session is an open pub session in a commercial venue. If you know a few people in your area with similar interests in The Music who want to hang out and play, you can just invite them over for a "kitchen session" at your house.

My fiddler S.O. and I have done that in our home, gathering a few people together at roughly our skill level, and it can be great fun! We had some success with that earlier this year, but then everyone (except us) left town for the summer.

We'll probably crank it up again when everyone comes back to town for the Wet & Dark season.

Of course, the reason to do this at an outside venue like a local pub, is that nobody has to clean up the dishes afterwards. Or make the venue available on a regular basis in their homes. Pub sessions can be more self-sustaining that way.

15. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by quietglow View Post
    Definitely.

Blog Entries

Just by way of observation from recent experience, in case it helps anyone; Myself and another mandolin playing friend do that house session thing every second week. It is a great opportunity to really get on top of some tunes and we get to experiment with swapping instruments to get the best out of different types of tune and song. We alternate between him on guitar, mandolin, whistles or pipes and me on mandolin, fiddle, tenor guitar, mandoloncello or cello and whistles. As well as making use of my sons fiddling abilities, we recently brought in another guitar and whistle player and are reworking many tunes to make sure they remain trad rather than morphing into some Celtic mishmash that can happen if you don't get the balance of instrument and emphasis correct. (getting him to listen to loads of Hayes/Cahill playing)
    While it was only intended to knock the edges off our playing, it is teaching us valuable lessons in how easily an Irish traditional sound can be derailed by incorporating new instruments in the wrong way. Apart from the bowl back mandolins, the tenor guitar has been one of the easiest to get right from the start, possibly due to the more spare chords and the ability to sound very harp-like when picking out tunes and the lack of low end boom is a real bonus in the small bodied tenor.
    Anyway with atypical instruments it really does pay off to "do yer practisin' a' home" to make sure you know when your instrument will add something and how to alter it if another similar instrument comes along. Sometimes the best way to incorporate your chosen instrument could be to take the whistle out of the pouch instead.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

I forgot to thank everyone for a very interesting discussion. I've learned a ton. Many thanks everyone.

Glad it went well for you. It usually does.

Sometimes it doesn't, but there's not much you can do about that.
    Bren

It is frequently overlooked: instrument choice and don't forget to thank your luthier. Your instrument is your most faithful friend in any session. I have been significantly more often complimented for the sound of my OM than for my playing, so I guess Roger Bucknall's work carried me through many difficult situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    It is frequently overlooked: instrument choice and don't forget to thank your luthier. Your instrument is your most faithful friend in any session. I have been significantly more often complimented for the sound of my OM than for my playing, so I guess Roger Bucknall's work carried me through many difficult situations.
    That's sometimes a way of people praising your playing indirectly: " nice instrument" " nice tune" etc.
    Bren