Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Incoming! New digital mixer

Blog Entries

Default Incoming! New digital mixer

Just heard that one of the very first new Soundcraft ui12's is heading my way and should be here Friday... I am looking forward to trying this one out. It is very compact (less than 5 pounds, just over 2Kgs weight), measures only 3.3 X 7 X 12.6" (85 X 177 X 320mm) and has 8 mic inputs, two of which feature high impedance (250k) and Digitech amp modelling. It has a 'stagebox' design and unlike most digital mixers, has no built-in screen - instead it is entirely cross-platform wireless, so can be used with a mix of up to 10 (!) separate devices in any combination... iPad, Android, PC, Mac, Linux... using an HTLM5 web browser interface. There is also a hard-wired Ethernet port. Essentially, this appears to be firmly aimed at the small band/due/trio type market where a combination of 8 inputs and 2 X Aux outputs are usually adequate. There is a larger version with 16 inputs and 4 X Aux outputs too.

It is not designed to compete feature for feature with larger desks... and some features found on those systems such as multi-track recording, virtual soundchecks and so on are not present on this... but as a super-compact and lightweight, versatile small band/venue mixer it does offer quite a lot: very good EQ, nice (Lexicon) reverbs and delays, compression, and built in DBX AFS2 anti-feedback filters (6 fixed and six adaptive). The (by now) usual options to save setups and scenes are of course all there too, plus real-time spectrum analysis. There is a good overview of the two available mixers here:

It certainly looks promising... I will be giving it a good workout over the coming week and let you know how it is in practice.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to almeriastrings For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Incoming! New digital mixer

Look forward to it. I am looking to replace my small sound craft with something and have been waiting for either this or one of the small Behringers.
    John

2012 Collins MT-2 Birds Eye Maple
    1924 Gibson F-4
    2010 Custom National Resonator (one of a kind)
    1930 National Resonator with new custom neck and "Doug Unger" inlay and back painted by Howard "Louie Bluie" Armstrong
    2005 Godin A-8
    2013 Kentucky KM-1050 "stage and club mandolin"

I have the Line6 M20D and have been using it for a few months. It has 12 pre's and 8 more inputs, multi track recording, built in display/touchscreen but also easy use with ipad/android.. It has incredible control of eq and effects on inputs, feedback suppression, mains and monitors.

I am really delighted at how much easier it makes things. I no longer need and rack eq or effects.

I am sure it's going to be exciting as more and more options are released by various companies. Hopefully competition will drive down prices also.

Marc

Size weight and price look very promising. I am looking forward to your report, Almeriastrings. Especially on the fact of missing of (most) local controls.
    Unfortunately I currently have no real need for one of these today's compact digital mixers. Time was never better to purchase oneof these.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Katz View Post
    I have the Line6 M20D and have been using it for a few months. It has 12 pre's and 8 more inputs, multi track recording, built in display/touchscreen but also easy use with ipad/android.. It has incredible control of eq and effects on inputs, feedback suppression, mains and monitors.

I am really delighted at how much easier it makes things. I no longer need and rack eq or effects.

Marc
    Yes. I have that too... it has been our main small mixer for around 12 months and it has performed superbly. You mention Android with the M20D - but to the best of my knowledge the only App is for IOS. There have been many requests to the developers to put out an Android version, but nothing so far....

One of the nice features of the Soundcraft is there is no need for Apps at all... consequently, less risk of O/S "dating" problems and incompatibilities. This new mixer is not quite as sophisticated as the M20D, but there is still plenty there to cover typical small gigs and it is considerably smaller, lighter - and cheaper. Street on the ui12 is likely to be well under $400 once they filter though to the discounters.... which is pretty amazing for what you get! In fact, unimaginable by the standards of just a few years ago...
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

Looking forward to hearing how it works in combat conditions.

The low cost is obviously due to outsourcing the display interface, and I'm sure this will work well in many applications. I'm not sure it's for me, though. If the application is a compact mixer for bands providing their own PA (which we usually do), I prefer having a mixer that doesn't rely on WiFi and an external controller. I want a fall-back to having all controls on the actual mixer unit if something jams up the the local WiFi, or the external iPad/phone controller goes down for any reason (battery dies, software reboot, or I just drop it on a concrete floor).

Mixers like the Line6 M20D and the new QSC Touch-Mix-8 and TouchMix-16 are in that category, and make me feel much more confident going out on a gig with a digital mixer (and an analog backup mixer in the car). They're more expensive because the screen is built-in, but I just like the comfort factor in knowing I can go straight to the mixer if I have to.

Maybe I'm being overly cautious? I dunno. I've just had too many experiences where local WiFi is a bit flaky. I know this new Soundcraft mixer includes its own transmitter and the range to a control device will be short, but even digital packet signals can be stepped on by local strong interference. It's probably not helped by the number of military bases in my area that are throwing heavy EM around. I've had problems with wireless instrument units before in this area. We're actually near a "practice" zone where we have Navy EA-18G Growlers (electronic warfare birds) flying around all the time. I don't think they'd target one of our outdoor wedding gigs for a practice run, but 'ya never know...

You can use a cable direct to the mixer from your laptop to be sure of the connectivity.
    John

1924 Gibson F-4
    1930 National Resonator with new custom neck and "Doug Unger" inlay and back painted by Howard "Louie Bluie" Armstrong
    2005 Godin A-8

Quote Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
    You can use a cable direct to the mixer from your laptop to be sure of the connectivity.
    Good point, but then you're still depending on the stability of that laptop. I just feel more confident using a mixer that works all by itself, with an option for external control by WiFi or direct connection to a laptop, and not 100% dependent on it. It's one more potential failure point, compared to a mixer that falls back to standalone operation.

Just a personal bias, I guess. I tend to be paranoid and conservative when it comes to PA gear that I have to run myself, because I want it to "just work" so I can get on with making music at the gig.

Looking forward to the field reports! I've just done a series of small gigs with the Behringer XR18. Not going back to the big mixer if I can help it. Once you get used to the touch screen interface (on an iPad in my case) it's all pretty intuitive. The XR32 app allows you to tweak EQs, dynamics and effects etc on a single channel, while still displaying the main faders...similar to a 'normal' mixer, in fact. It's also really useful to be able to press a single button and see the mix for a monitor displayed; being able to stand next to the artist at sound check and mix their monitor collaboratively is a real joy, and saves a lot of time.
    Tim Mundy
    www.slipperyhill.co.uk
    2002 Gibson F5 Fern
    1920 Gibson A2
    2005 Gibson A5L
    Rigel A+ Deluxe Custom
    1926 Gibson TB1 Tenor Banjo
    1963 Epiphone TF28 Tenor Guitar
    Ovation MM868 Mandocello
    1987 Rob Armstrong Mandolinetto

I get that . I have had everything from am early tapco to three generations of digital mixers. An early adopter of remote control, i used a usb wireless print server to remote my O1v96 from a laptop. I currently and using an Allen and Heath QU16 with ipad control. Granted I am a professional network designer and understand wireless and wired networking, but I have found the Allen and Heath Ipad control quite reliable. Modern macs, pc's , and Linux are quite reliable and I would not hesitate to run this mixer from any of these. As far as wireless, If you use A/C bands there are so many channels you should not run into any interference at all with a decent router that auto senses channel conflicts. I am looking for something small that has recallable preamps and eq and is wireless , the only unknown on this is if its N or AC wireless, though an external router could take care of that issue if necessary. My larger gigs I will continue to use the Allen and Heath which has a very nice workflow. I always would carry an small second mixer no matter what I do, anything can fail.
    The convenience and weight and cost is a big factor on my needs, I like the QSC, my buddy has one, but its twice as much money for a touch screen.
    John

1924 Gibson F-4
    2005 Godin A-8

Blog Entries

At the end of the day... any gear can fail. Fortunately, not often at least as far as what I have found over several decades...these digital mixers are very complex pieces of equipment, with both hardware DSP and software involved, so the potential for stuff going wrong is certainly there. Some backup is wise for really critical gigs. I have never experienced a total failure myself, however. I have had (analog mixer) channels go down, and have had the odd "glitch" with digital mixers... but nothing that could not be rebooted out of trouble or worked around. So far. Touch wood.

Regarding a built-in screen, I am in two minds on this. It may be that as long as you have an external port (the ui16 has an HDMI connector) or can connect via Ethernet, using an external screen might be more secure? I don't know... you can soon change an external display, but not an internal one. You can also carry a couple of devices with you... on the M20D I have been very reliant on my (only) iPad (that mixer also requires an external dongle or router, incidentally), but a cross-platform system means you could run from a (cheaper) Android tab too... I have been reluctant to get any system that required a specific iPad directly connected (the Mackie's, for example) as we all know what can happen when connectors change.... so, as long as the wireless is good, and there is some kind of hard-wired backup access (Ethernet), I am OK with that. I was nervous initially using wireless in live situations, but have got a lot more confident as time as gone on, as it has all proved very stable and reliable in a wide range of situations.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

For me it is more important that a mixer can double as recording device, than a built in screen. This for me justifies some extra money. But doubled price (+ the external drive)? I am not sure...

Blog Entries

The M20D multi-tracks very well indeed to an SD card or USB stick - I normally use an SD card. Fast, easy setup. Individual tracks plus stereo mix. Good results, certainly for live performance. The Soundcraft Ui12 does not record at all, while the Ui16 only has two track (stereo mix) recording. The QSC Touchmix also multi-tracks nicely. Unfortunately both the M20D and QSC cost a lot more than the Soundcraft UUi models....almost 3X as much. None of them are a direct replacement for a studio/recording interface, however, due to latency and other issues. To record live shows, though, the M20D and QSC are pretty good.

PS: There is a 'cheat' method of getting a basic, limited multi-track recording from something like the Ui12. You just create some AUX mixes and take feeds from AUX 1, AUX 2 and the L+R headphone output... enough to multi-track a solo performer, or possibly a duo, anyway. You then record these Aux mixes to an external recorder or PC/MAC with an interface. Rough and ready, but this method does work. Not as neat and tidy as an inbuilt true multi-tracker, however.
    Last edited by almeriastrings; May-28-2015 at 4:46am.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    I was nervous initially using wireless in live situations, but have got a lot more confident as time as gone on, as it has all proved very stable and reliable in a wide range of situations.
    What's your local EM environment like? I think that may be a consideration for how dependable these systems are. Gigs in more rural locations aren't swimming in the kind of competing bandwidth traffic you get in the middle of a big city.

I know these systems with built-in access hubs are operating at very short antenna distances, and basically designed to override anything else. But I still wonder what happens when you have an audience full of people with their phones turned on, and every nearby building with clusters of their own local WiFi.

Well, I'm not a network expert so maybe I'm just paranoid. I've had some issues with analog wireless instrument systems in the past, and maybe the digital stuff is more stable. I haven't upgraded to a digital wireless instrument system yet... that market is still fluid and I'm waiting to see how the more affordable products shake out.

It's the Hot new Market , use your tablet and an app instead of hardware,
    more channel controls in a virtual space
    only limited to the space for the actual Cable connectors ..

I finally replaced my old small but heavy transformer based power-supplied
    Powered mixer, with one of Carvin's

and the reduction in weight is quite a bit. Still all regular knobs and sliders,
    late adopter, I have yet to buy a Mobile Phone.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Blog Entries

Very much a preview... but it's here. First impression? It's TINY. Really small - but well built, all metal, no plastic casing. I only had a few minutes and my 7" Android tab with me when I first opened up the box, but was able to get a very strong wi-fi signal and stable connection immediately. Controls on screen very responsive. If you have ever seen a Yamaha Stagepass 300... this mixer is about the same size and weight.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ui12a.jpg 
Views:	4450 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	134622

End view with 2X USB ports...function of these is not entirely clear yet. Certainly one is for firmwear updates...the other?

Name:	ui12b.jpg 
Views:	438 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	134623

One negative... external PSU. Not a "wall wart" but certainly an external box. The actual connection seems solid and is locking... so not dissimilar from many wireless receivers... but I prefer an internal PSU... doubtless it does the job, though. At least there is an on/off switch.

Name:	ui12c.jpg 
Views:	407 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	134626

Name:	ui12d.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	134627

The size is very obvious here... it really is remarkably small for what it packs in.

Name:	ui12e.jpg 
Views:	516 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	134628

Lots of channel dynamics presets available...

Name:	ui12f.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	134629

And EQ presets...

Name:	ui12g.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	134630

And reverb presets...

Name:	ui12h.jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	134631

I will give it a real test tomorrow. So far, the wi-fi is very fast and easy to set up. Less hassle and much quicker than on the M20D. Very strong signal, even through a solid wall. The unit itself may be small, but it feels well built. The connectors all look to be good quality. If it sounds good... this could be near ideal for solo acts, duos and smaller bands in coffee house and small bar type gigs. You'd hardly know you were carrying it.

Foldedpath.. we are often in quite difficult EM environments. Local networks, occasionally other onstage wireless mics, audience with iPhones and other stuff...not had any issues. So far...
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to almeriastrings For This Useful Post:

Beanzydang 

Cool. Html5 is the way of the future, I like the os independence. The only drag is no recording, a big feature loss. The Behringer's record at least two tracks, and the 699 one mulitracks. They aren't out yet expect for the the 16 channel version though.
    John

1924 Gibson F-4
    2005 Godin A-8

Blog Entries

Not seen it in the flesh yet but the manual says "The Ui mixer has a built in media player and recorder. The player can be used for backing tracks or for background music in between sets, for example, while the Record facility records the main stereo mix. Playback is via the PLAYBACK L and PLAYBACK R channels - these are normal input channels dedicated to the USB playback function."
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Blog Entries

The USB media player has a socket on the front panel. There is no mention of the other two USB sockets in the manual, other than to say you can use "any" USB socket to upload firmware updates.... it is also clear that the software and the manual are still undergoing updates so it is possible they may be for a feature that is not ready yet... it would seem odd to include them if they had no real use...

I don't personally think two channel recording is much of an issue one way or the other, as you can easily grab one with a simple cable from the parallel main outs to a standalone hand-held recorder such as a Zoom or Tascam if you want one, just as we all have done for years. A genuine multi-track tapped right after the mic pres is obviously of a different order, however, and is a big advance. Neither of these (currently) have it, but who knows... maybe that's what the 'spare' USB sockets are for? At the market these are aimed at (especially the ui12), and given the price, they obviously did not feel it was a vital feature.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

The Behringer XR18 has multitrack recording, with virtually zero latency. I hooked it up to Reaper as a test, after loading the appropriate XR18 ASIO driver. Hooked up straight away, recording is an absolute breeze.
    Tim Mundy
    www.slipperyhill.co.uk
    2002 Gibson F5 Fern
    1920 Gibson A2
    2005 Gibson A5L
    Rigel A+ Deluxe Custom
    1926 Gibson TB1 Tenor Banjo
    1963 Epiphone TF28 Tenor Guitar
    Ovation MM868 Mandocello
    1987 Rob Armstrong Mandolinetto

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

Great review, but I'm officially at the point of mixer and equipment overload! My new sound system will consist of me sitting at the back of the room and screaming at one musician or another "You, play louder, and you, can you just keep it down!!??"

A friend's Band has 1 player with a wireless transmitter~ receiver ,
    to walk to the FOH and do a Sound check , while Playing , themselves.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Blog Entries

Had a few teething problems... now resolved with latest firmware update. There was some 'digital noise' on some of the mic inputs, but the latest firmware fixed it. It is an extremely easy mixer to use. Easy to name channels, save favourite settings, setups and scenes. Very fast and responsive on a variety of devices - from Ipad and iPad mini, to 7" and 10" Android tabs, and Mac/PC via ethernet. The nice thing is you can use these simultaneously! The reverbs are very good indeed, and the automatic feedback suppression is very effective. There are some nicely designed FX chain presets you can use as a starting point. Not really my thing, but I plugged a tele in the Digitech 'modelling' inputs and to me it sounded very convincing. A good selection of classic amps and cabinets available. There are some further updates + additions "in the works", too, it seems...

Some nice touches... such as channels auto mute for a few seconds if phantom is turned on (each channel can be on or off). Most impressive, though is the stability and flexibility of the cross-platform wi-fi control... you're no longer tied to platform specific apps.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

Blog Entries

A few other photos. This really puts the size of this thing into perspective. Next to the well-known EFX-8:

Name:	EFX_UIa.jpg 
Views:	708 
Size:	117.5 KB 
ID:	134668

Name:	EFX_UIb.jpg 
Views:	3099 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	134669

Complete small gig rig.... apart from mic stands + Di's:

Name:	Maui_UIb.jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	134670

300W (RMS) tri-amped, full DSP speaker management system, 8 mic channels, all with multiple forms of EQ, compression, gate, d-esser, reverbs and automatic feedback filters. Whole thing will go into a small car if necessary and still leave space for the instruments. Pretty neat, and a long way from the kit needed just a few years ago to achieve a similar result
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

a friend got a Mackie made, tablet dock , has a lot more virtual channel sliders to match the added XLR inputs,
    so you drag a finger across the screen to use the ones that wont all fit in the width of that screen .
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture