Thread: Which Allen Alexander book do you recommend?

Default Which Allen Alexander book do you recommend?

Hi all,

I'm a fairly novice mandolin player, and I want to play more at my local renaissance faires. I can read and play music in standard notation.

I would like to get or (or two) of the Allen Alexander books - which should I get first? My requirement is: Novice-Intermediate, fun, catchy tunes. I don't care if their renaissance or medieval in era.

Just soliciting opinions!

Default Re: Which Allen Alexander book do you recommend?

Gah, I just realized I posted this in the wrong section. Sorry all.

Quote Originally Posted by sherrie View Post
    Hi all,

I'm a fairly novice mandolin player, and I want to play more at my local renaissance faires. I can read and play music in standard notation.
    If you can read standard notation, there's no need to go for Allen's books at all: a good source for simple medieval and renaissance tunes is the attached PDF file, which is a conversion of an ABC file that has been circulating online for several years. I have some (by now very old) recordings of quite a few of these tune in this thread.

These are almost all very easy to play and very effective.

Another excellent free source is Steve Hendrick's SCA dance music page:

Link

These are intended to be played with others, but in many cases the top voice works solo as well (e.g. all the Playford dances, which were originally published as single voice tunes anyway).

Martin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails early music.pdf  

Allan's books are beautifully presented with simple arrangements and I'd most recommend the one of Spanish and South American tunes with accompanying CD.
    Bren

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I recommend "Mandolin music for mediaeval faires". It has some tunes suitable for beginners, some that you can leave for later - all in both standard notation and tab, with accompanying guitar chords and beautifully played on the enclosed CD.

I love his books...especially those that have accompanying guitar books. I have four of them. Fun stuff.

Blog Entries

I have several of his books as well. Medieval and Renaissance Music and a couple others. You really can't go wrong. His arrangements are pretty straight forward and as you know the style they are easy to embellish with your own bits.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

8. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post:

I ordered the Mandolin Music for Medieval Faires book! I hope it arrives soon - I'm excited to try it.

I've been playing quite a bit out of Cantiga's Renaissance Faire favorites - http://www.amazon.com/Mel-Cantigas-R.../dp/078664432X

It's nice for the whistle and flute too.

Kitchen Musician has a small collection titled something like Medieval & Renaissance Faque Book. I've learned some good tunes from there. I've also drawn some good tunes from Cantiga's book.

What faires are you looking at? Just wondering if we might cross paths. I play or have played at some in Indiana and Michigan.

Tim
    "Be kind to the band; they never get to dance"

AA's books are my favorite tunebooks. I highly recommend his Celtic Music for Mandolin, Early Dance Music for Mandolin, and Airs of the Scottish Renaissance - all truly excellent resources.

I also have the Mandolin Music for Mediaeval Faires. It has some great tunes in it. Cantiga 119 is one of my favourites. I'm planning to grab a few more books in the next month or so, too. Really good tunes to play and learn.