Thread: J.A. Hasse (c. 1750): Mandolin Concerto in G Major

Default J.A. Hasse (c. 1750): Mandolin Concerto in G Major

Johann Adolph Hasse (1699-1783): Mandolin Concerto in G Major
    I. Allegro

Arranged for mandolin orchestra and soloist by Siegfried Behrend, 1965.

This is a mid-18th century mandolin concerto by one of the most popular German composers of the day. The original instrumentation was solo mandolin plus two violins and continuo. My recording of the opening allegro is based on Behrend's 1965 arrangement for mandolin orchestra, which I have reduced to a classical quartet (two mandolins, mandola, mandocello) plus solo mandolin played on a pseudo-Baroque nylgut strung bowlback mandolin by combining Behrend's guitar and contra bass parts into a single mandocello part.

The Behrend arrangement is still in print from Trekel. There are other arrangements of the piece, including a mandolin and piano version by John Craton available from his Wolfhead Music site.

"Baroq-ulele" nylgut-strung mandolin
    1915 Luigi Embergher mandolin
    Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Mid-Missouri M-111 octave mandolin
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

I've kept the tempo of this opening allegro movement fairly measured -- it's more commonly played almost twice as fast, but I can't play it cleanly at that speed and in any case I quite like it at the slower tempo.

Martin

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Martin Jonas For This Useful Post:

Default Re: J.A. Hasse (c. 1750): Mandolin Concerto in G Major

Thank you for your post, Martin : I loved it.

As far as speed is concerned, I always had doubt about the need for speed, especially for baroque / early classical music. In any case, the reduced speed improves the readibility of the composition and reduces athletic stress -- but I also know that these considerations maybe come from age : my one.....

Ciao !

4. The following members say thank you to fernando.f for this post: