Thread: Buying individual strings?

Default Buying individual strings?

Blew an E-string the other day for the first time. I figured it was going south when it stuck at a D# and the pitch stopped changing with tuning. Sure enough, "PING".

So I swapped on one of the old ones that came with the instrument, and got back to playing.

My question is can you buy packs of just E-Strings or A-Strings, or do they all come in a full set? Do you typically replace all the strings even if you just break one? Or does everyone have a drawer-full unused G's and D's?

Thanks, Scott

Default Re: Buying individual strings?

I keep spares of A and E so I can replace these courses in between full set changes, not because I break strings. You can buy individual strings from lots of places. I use juststrings.com.

I get a few Individual strings each , locally.

You can break the brass balls out of guitar strings and the Loop remains.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

in my first few months picking the mandolin...I broke several "e" strings while trying out different brands. i had several sets missing 1 or 2 strings. i took some advice from the mandolin café members and bought some single strings from juststrings.com and spent some time reading about changing strings. things like a little graphite in the slots and tuning up slow worked for me. ain't broke a string since. tons of threads on this subject to search thru. good luck. changing strings still ain't fun to me.

I buy mine from Cafe sponsor JustStrings.com.
    Fast shipping and good prices.
    NFI, just a satisfied customer for years.

Another Just Strings satisfied customer here.

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

I get individual strings from a local music store. They're like one buck, no shipping, and I have them right away. Whole sets are another story-- the local shop doesn't have much selection in mandolin strings.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Good stuff. Thanks for the advice. I'm glad I can get just e-strings. I think I'll gravitate toward D-Addario - seems like lots of people like them, and they seem to be pretty available.

I need to swing by my local shop to see what they carry. We buy stuff for the kids' violin and clarinet there, so I should check out their selection too.

As far as changing a whole set when you break one string, for me it depends on how old the other strings are, a new string will most likely intonate differently from one that has been on for a while, If I don`t change the whole set I at least change the pair....If you change only one check the intonation and if it isn`t correct then change the mate to it....

Willie

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Willie Poole For This Useful Post:

I do buy 0.010 and 0.012 strings separately from local GC and keep them as spares. Very handy when they break.
    The ones I bought are ball end but one can turn into loop end quite simply. (The other way around is hard though).

John Pearse 'string wizard' a rapid loop winder includes a bag of balls ..
    http://www.jpstrings.com/braccess.htm
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by Scott N. View Post
    Do you typically replace all the strings even if you just break one? Or does everyone have a drawer-full unused G's and D's?

Thanks, Scott
    So the strings I buy were packaged by a local guy, who includes an extra set of A's and E's in each box. He says that the A and E strings are the first to go bad, so he wanted sets to come with replacements so you dont have to buy a full set every time your ready to replace the treble strings. I'm only a weekend player, and more a buy-and-seller, so I have a drawer-full of extra A and E strings lol.... If you want I can drop a set of E's in the mail to you. PM your address if your interested.

I had a few packs of strings missing E strings that I had salvaged for breaks... so I ordered a pack of 12 Bulk .011 guitar strings from GC and will pick them up from a local GC with no shipping charges... total cost $2.45, plus $2.45 for another pack of 12 x .010 for my tenor guitars and banjos... Clipping the balls is no problem...

Do you typically replace all the strings even if you just break one? Or does everyone have a drawer-full unused G's and D's?
    The G and D strings seldomly break, if I have to replace them , I replace the whole set.
    I only replace the E single string if it breaks.

I wish I would have seen this thread a couple of months ago. Reason being:

I was restringing my mandolin yesterday with some medium-gauge strings. All was going fine until I got to the second E-string. As I was tuning up to pitch the string broke. Now I was on my last pack of strings (I know...poor planning on my part). That's when I had an idea, and unfortunately my voice of reason (a.k.a. my wife) wasn't home. So I went into my garage and grabbed my safety wire pliers and promptly spun a nice, tight new loop end on the .011 string. I attached it and started tuning. I was feeling pretty good with myself until I was about a half step from pitch, when, "P-WAAAP!" (or something like that). Needless to say, I wasn't playing my mandolin last night, so I was looking around on the forums and saw this thread.

I now have 4 packs of strings, 3 individual E-strings and 3 individual D-strings coming straight to my home from JustStrings.com.

It should have worked though...it should have worked.
    "If you pick it... It will never heal." - Mom

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scott N. View Post
    My question is can you buy packs of just E-Strings or A-Strings, or do they all come in a full set? Do you typically replace all the strings even if you just break one? Or does everyone have a drawer-full unused G's and D's?
    I change my strings 3 or 4 times a year. But if one breaks I replace that one right then, and the other 7 that night when I get home.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I used to buy individual strings back when I used to break strings a lot. But later on I figured the cost of the singles, and to buy 4 was about the same cost as a whole set of strings. So, now I have MANY G and D strings.