Thread: Alvarez and Michael Kelly

Default Alvarez and Michael Kelly

So I found an Alvarez f style on Craigslist for $300.00 what say you? I can't seem to find too much info on them online, as far as price point most of the ones I'm coming across seem to be from the 70's and range from $600 on the low end to $800 on the higher side but I don't think this one is that old, fella couldn't give me model name or anything so I'm going to go look at it tonight hopefully and see what additional info I can scrounge.
    I also went and looked at a Michael Kelly Legacy Festival Pack Mando yesterday, the guy is asking $300.00 for that as well, I liked it, played easy enough, sounded good but didn't quite have that hard chop, which I don't really need right now but I would like to play with others one day lol. I guess what asking with the MK is, is that a good deal? Like I said I enjoyed it but I also am still playing on my learnin' mando which is a Rogue A and I'd say about anything is a step up from that. The MK was also bought in 06 and I found an 10's model used from (shudders) Guitar center for $299.00

Default Re: Alvarez and Michael Kelly

I suspect that both of those models are at least partially laminate construction. These would not be much of a step up from your Rogue or maybe no step up at all in sound. The biggest difference is that these are F styles so they have the "look" many are looking for, but you will get much more bang for the buck with a better quality A style. If you have 300 dollars to spend it is much much better spent on something like a Kentucky 150, properly set up from a place that does it right like Folkmusician.com, Elderly, or The Mandolin Store. Those are all solid carved wood and sound and play fantastic for the price.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

I believe Don is correct here. Personally, I've never played an MK that had any resonance. 70s MIJ can be good - even though laminate. Best to play and see/hear -

My first mandolin was a Michael Kelly 'Legacy' all solid wood - no laminates. That was back in 2006. It sounded pretty good,if a bit 'thin',but as it was my first mandolin, i knew zilch about maybe trying different strings on it to modify the tone & overall sound. It was certainly good enough to establish the fact that i had the talent to play mandolin. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the same make/model of mandolin again,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Michael_Kelly___Legacy_Solid____Medium_.JPG 
Views:	155 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	134478
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

5. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Mandolin Dreams Unlimited MysTiK PiKn's Avatar

Play it.
    Specs are online.
    There's good and bad in all you mention.
    I saw a mK recently used in a store, and it sounded great - Fstyle, used, mint. 350
    I've seen Alvirez, 3 at a time, and all sounded very different, and not the best, and all needed major setup.
    There's no answer to your question except check the specs -so you know what it's made of. Add setup to that.
    But play it - cos that's what you are going to do, for sure.
    Some instruments are for sale used, and have never had a proper setup = likely why they are for sale.
    Like many things, it depends. But in the used market, aim higher. Research to make your target.

= The Loar, LM700VS c.2013 = "The Brat"
    = G. Puglisi, "Roma" c.1907 = "Patentato" - rare archBack, canted top, oval
    = Harmony, Monterrey c.1969 = collapsed ply - parts, testing, training, firewood.

"The intellect is a boring load of crawp. Aye. Next wee chune".

I stand corrected on he Michael Kelly Legacy in the Festival Pack. It seems it is all solid wood. Could be ok but I would figure the cost of a pro set up into the purchase.

Still think I'm right about modern Ibanez. 70's I'm not so sure.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Thanks ya'll, yeah I played the MK and did research it is solid wood all the way around, I liked it but I don't know, I feel like he's asking a fair price at $300.00 yet I don't think I would want to pay over $250.00 for it, I know that sounds weird lol. There is a Kentucky 675 on eBay that I MIGHT be able to get in the same price range but I suppose we'll see.

Currently,the Amazon price on a Kentucky KM 675 is $910 US. I've found 3 ebay offers on the KM 675 - one for $999.95 US one for $890 US & another for $890 US without a case - all new. So,if you can get the KM675 for around $250 - go for it,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

The thing is, if you don't know, don't do it. I am a strong believer in if it feels like a friend right away, you can make adjustments along the way. I bought my Alvarez basically unseen when I was working at a store. Best blind deal I have ever made! I have owned several, more prestigious instruments but, have sold them since I can't play more than one at a time anyway. If it feels good right out of the case, or off the wall, whatever and you LIKE it, let that be your guide.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Alvarez made some nice solid-wood F-models in the 1970's; they were among the first Asian-made instruments to infiltrate the lower levels of the "bluegrass mandolin" market. Without seeing your CraigsList possibility, or at least learning the model number, hard to say if this is one of those.

What is your budget? And are you "stuck" on an F-model? There are decent solid-wood F-models, like the Rover RM-75, with carved tops and backs, for somewhere in the $395-450 range. Good advice above about going for an A-model (cheaper, sounds just as good), but you can't look like Ricky Skaggs or Chris Thile with an A-model (well, you can, but that's a-whole-'nother thing...).
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM