Thread: Played a Morris? Incredible. My Review of a Morris A4

Blog Entries

Default Played a Morris? Incredible. My Review of a Morris A4

I have had my Morris A4e for 5 months now. This mandolin is absolutely the sweetest instrument to play and the sound is incredible. Howard built this for me for under $1000, then I added a K&K pure mini acoustic pickup, so it topped out at just over $1,000 shipped.

The build quality is superb, the finish divine and the wood is beautiful. My action with J74 strings is low and comfortable. He designed mine by request with a radiused fret board and a 1-3/16" nut width. The western red Cedar top has such a warm and resonant quality and the big leaf maple makes the tone clear and rich. Grover tuners hold the pitch nicely as I play through an amp in the church band.

Howard's set up, service, dedication to each custom mandolin and the fact that he is making each one by hand in Oregon gives his mandolins a special place that is unequaled for this price point. I look forward to the day I can save the $1500 to have him make me a custom F5.

My Morris A4e is the perfect complement to my singer/songwriter use. I perform using it as an accompaniment for some songs, in place of my usual guitar accompaniment. It has the richness and resonance to accomplish that, for which I am so grateful. Thus ends my informal review of my Howard Morris A4e mandolin. The coolest thing? I can see Howard's signature when I peer into the sound hole. Dan

This is unplugged:
    https://youtu.be/4GFPEkpY3o0

My Morris A4e Album
    Last edited by lflngpicker; May-22-2015 at 9:53am. Reason: adding photo album

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to lflngpicker For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Played a Morris? Incredible. My Review of a Morris A4

Hey Dan. Thanks for this review. I've been taking notice of all the great reviews of Morris on here (greasing the MAS wheels!).
    It sounds really good: great cover of a great song. Keep enjoying!
    Collings MT-O Sunburst (2014)
    Kentucky KM630 (early 1990s Korean) w/ K&K Twin Internal
    Vega K-Style Mandolin Banjo (1917)
    Vega N-Style 17-Fret Tenor Banjo (1922)
    Deering Goodtime 2 5-String Banjo w/ Resonator

4. The following members say thank you to Pick&Grin for this post:

Blog Entries

Sounds great! I have a Morris A5 that I like as well. You can't do better for the price. Seriously.
    Hamlett Two-Point
    Eastman MD805
    Schertler DYN-M + Yellow
    http://www.youtube.com/ktbriggs
    https://www.facebook.com/kevin.briggs.1213

6. The following members say thank you to Kevin Briggs for this post:

Blog Entries

Cool sounding A4 Dan. Enjoyed the tune!

I wonder how it sounds playing just off the edge of the fretboard - that last strum sounded rich.

8. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

Blog Entries

Thanks guys! And Mark Wilson, I caught your song about your Carolina home and it is darn good! Your voice is true and clear, while your picking draws you in on that Taylor guitar. Shared you on my facebook page-- hope you don't mind. Outstanding talent!

I actually drove out to Irrigon, Oregon and met Howard at his home/workshop. I was very impressed, but didn't end up buying one that day. I did see several in various stages of construction, including the one that lflngpicker now owns. Very cool guy. He has a hand written notebook of every mandolin he's made and who purchased it. Wonderful person, consider yourself lucky to have one.
    AKA "golfunit"

11. The following members say thank you to John Garcia for this post:

Blog Entries

Thank you, John. I agree on all counts above!

Dan, that's one of the coolest mandolins on the Cafe.

14. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    Dan, that's one of the coolest mandolins on the Cafe.
    Agreed! Dan you have one gorgeous mandolin!
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

16. The following members say thank you to Joey Anchors for this post:

Blog Entries

Hi Joey and Caleb, Gosh, guys-- it is such a nice feeling to hear those things said by two knowledgeable mandolin friends! Thanks, Dan

lflngpicker

I like your mandolin, and I like the song you posted, but I have another option for you to consider. Since you like accompanying your singing with the mandolin why not have Mr. Morris make you a mandola instead of an F-shape mandolin?

I have been enjoying my new mandola greatly and found that it fits my voice range better than the mandolin does. And the people whom I play with at jams -mostly guitarists- say they like the mandola's range better than the mandolin's. That high E just doesn't sound that good as background and I found myself only playing 3-note chords on the GDA strings anyway. The mandola gives you 4 strings to form the chords on without resorting to the high E.
    "Those who know don't have the words to tell, and the ones with the words don't know so well." - Bruce Cockburn

19. The following members say thank you to Teak for this post:

RedKnucklesUnclesCousin GKWilson's Avatar

Another beautiful Morris mandolin Dan. Enjoy.
    Kevin's with the Osage Orange back was always one of my favorites.
    I would be very interested to know if Sonny has made a mandola.
    Anybody have one?
    Gary
    vincit qui se vincit

21. The following members say thank you to GKWilson for this post:

Blog Entries

I will have to write Howard Morris and ask about that. I would think he will read this post before I do, but I am curious, too. I love singing and playing to the guitar, primarily. A mandolin is something completely different and thus I appreciate the higher strings and the musical contrast they bring to me. I am also ape for electric blues and get that going much of the time, too (well, mandolin blues is fun too). Now, a mandola-- that is something I need to try! I have yet to play one, though I have listened to plenty of recordings. Well, hmmmm.... interesting suggestion .

Hey Dan - thanks for posting.

I noticed that you also have a Loar 600.

Could you speak at all about how the Morris and that particular 600 compare? Especially in regard to the neck profile?

24. The following members say thank you to BeachMando for this post:

I'm really happy with the flattop Howard made me earlier this year. Excellent tone, playability and huge volume, all at a super price, made to order. He was an absolute pleasure to work with, and gave me exactly what I wanted, without months of waiting. Class act all around. Frank
    FJ Russell

Es mejor morir de pie que vivir de rodillas. E. Zapata

26. The following members say thank you to Frank Russell for this post:

Blog Entries

Hi Frank, You live fairly close to me out here in Cali! We're about 40 miles from each other.

BeachMando-- I will say the Morris has a very rich, resonant sound, while the LM600 has a barky, blue grass chop tone and volume. The Morris has incredible sustain and plenty of bass, with sweet clarity of treble, but of course, it is an oval hole. The Loar sounds traditional with the solid, carved maple and spruce, along with its nitro finish (both are nitro, although the Morris finish is far superior). The Morris allows for choices of wood, from the fretboard to the top and back/sides. You cannot beat the deal for a custom mando and as Frank said, Howard is wonderful to communicate with and as honest and fair as the day is long. The Loar is a wonderful import, and lives up to its billing as a replica of a 1920's era Gibson Loar copy. The necks-- Morris is a nice V shape, comfortable and on the small-medium, Gibson A traditional shape side (with a radiused fretboard and wide nut, if you choose). The Loar has the flat fretboard and large rounded V, which is very sweet to hold and play because of the smooth, round shape. The action is low on the Loar 600, making it easy to chord and string spacing is surprisingly uncramped. The action on the Morris is superb! Hope this helps.