Thread: Why did no one bid on this nice A-2?

Default Why did no one bid on this nice A-2?

I was watching this nice looking A-2 and am surprised no one bid on it. Perhaps because the seller did not describe it fully, giving the model, serial number etc. I almost bid the $1200 minimum, hoping the reserve wasn't $1700, except I already have a wonderful A-2 made the same year that is in better condition. I had asked the seller for the serial number, it was 60539 with factory order number 11311. That makes it 1920. It is certainly worth $1200-
    I expect it will be re-listed
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

Default Re: Why did no one bid on this nice A-2?

Yeah, practically no description, which doesn't work in the seller's favor. $1200 is about the top eBay price for something like this, not the bottom price. The $1700 would be more like a brick-and-mortar store price. No obvious issues; the bridge is a replacement but everything else looks fine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/gibson-A-sty...p2047675.l2557
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Its clean, but as mentioned, that't high end for eBay. That tailpiece is replaced. But thats the only thing I saw just glancing through the photos. I always start everything at $ .99. Been listing for 10+ (mostly violins). Broke even twice, and lost a little twice, but made up for that by several items that went surprisingly high. Anyway, I bet this one sounds good, all the late teens to 20's Ive heard have. And it has that slightly wider grain, which, in my experience, corresponds to a nice mellow woody tone.

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman89 View Post
    That tailpiece is replaced.
    Eh? Looks OK to me.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_57 (1).jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	129.9 KB 
ID:	134319
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Eh? Looks OK to me.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_57 (1).jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	129.9 KB 
ID:	134319
    Yes, that is original tailpiece. Only thing not original is the bridge.
    I agree $1800 is brick and mortar at best, but $1200 is fair. Should re-list starting much lower with much more detailed description and ID
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Penny Whistle

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

There's another available, similar in price, decent condition, and scant description. You all are lucky I'm stretched a bit thin financially right now or I would have kept quiet about it.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

7. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

My bad, should have enlarged the pics. The engraving on the upper part looked deep like the repros they sell, but your right, it looks fine...

Same here...but there are still credit cards.
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Penny Whistle

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    There's another available, similar in price, decent condition, and scant description. You all are lucky I'm stretched a bit thin financially right now or I would have kept quiet about it.
    That is an A-1. The back is not bound. Still, it has "The Gibson" on the peghead, the original case, and looks in excellent condition.
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Penny Whistle

Blog Entries

What does it mean
    $1200 is about the top eBay price for something like this
    I am not trying to be snarky, I just don't think I understand. Is it just a different market, where you cannot expect to get more than that? If so, why would anyone sell it on ebay, knowing they could get more somewhere else?
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. E View Post
    That is an A-1. The back is not bound. Still, it has "The Gibson" on the peghead, the original case, and looks in excellent condition.
    Thanks. I thought so, just wasn't sure. I thought of it because of its similar look and BIN. Oh, and the description, which is short and doesn't include the model number.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    What does it mean
    I am not trying to be snarky, I just don't think I understand. Is it just a different market, where you cannot expect to get more than that? If so, why would anyone sell it on ebay, knowing they could get more somewhere else?
    A couple thoughts based on my eBay experience. (16 years buying and selling) I look at eBay as a "high wholesale" market. If we let the market decide the price, and the market is a worldwide audience, then the price it sells for is the actual "real money" price--what people are willing to pay. I think the price is lower because buyers understand there is risk and even though pictures can be quite detailed, it is not the same as actually holding an instrument, playing it and even smelling it. (I know, I'm weird!) If you remove the worldwide audience (and therefore your competition) a seller with a vintage instrument shop can charge more, dealing with only a select clientele. Location plays a role, things in NYC or Los Angleles sell for more than in middle America. Also, if you are in a tourist town or a college town you have a built-in specialty market, that other locations don't have. Also, if you are running a storefront you have much more overhead than someone who sells occasionally on eBay, so you really NEED to sell for a higher price. The exception is once in a while an item I am selling gets in a bidding war where several customers want it and the price goes higher than I expect. This happened often when eBay first started, but happens less these days. But it feels nice to hit a homerun once in a while!

I would add that time is also a factor. I like to run an eBay listing for a week and find my buyer and be done with it. At most, rerun the listing once again. That is a lot to ask for because what if the buyer for your item is not watching eBay in that 2-week window? If you have a lot of time (and don't need the money quickly), you can put a high price on something and wait for the right buyer to come along. I had a rare guitar that I didn't want to give away and I ran it on eBay with a Buy It Now for almost 2 years before finding a buyer who would pay my price--it finally went to a doctor in Madrid and he was happy to find it. He was also not a person who spent hours everyday on eBay browsing guitars. The monthly eBay fees are minimal until you actually sell the item, then you pay the final value fee.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    A couple thoughts based on my eBay experience...
    Well said. I have to think about this.

It would seem then that folks (and I know a few) who find what they want in a bricks and mortar store, pick the sales attendant's brains, and then go on to ebay to find it, or the other way, find something interesting on ebay, go to a store where it is for sale and talk to the sales attendant, and then go back to ebay, are gaming the system at both ends.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

I think what Martin meant was that's about the upper limit for these instruments on eBay, based on his observations. That doesn't mean they don't go for more, nor that sellers won't offer them and hope to get more, but that's the point at which people usually stop bidding and let it go to someone else, hoping to find one for less the next time one comes around. Of course, he may have meant something else; I'm just offering this as a guess until he responds.

It's common practice to have a top figure in mind when entering a bid. When I was looking for a Gibson A I entered several auctions that got too rich for my blood and dropped out. It wasn't just that a certain price had been reached, but also that too many people were bidding, and it looked like it was going to go way too high. That happened every time except twice. The first one I probably should have hung in there a little longer, because it didn't go much higher. The second time I won - and at $100 under my limit.

This doesn't really answer the OP's question, though. Maybe people balk at a high opening bid. Better to open at a slightly lower point and let it get bid up beyond the desired minimum. That may reduce the chances it will get up to the happy point - in this case, $1800.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    it feels nice to hit a homerun once in a while!...
    I like to run an eBay listing for a week and find my buyer and be done with it. At most, rerun the listing once again. That is a lot to ask for because what if the buyer for your item is not watching eBay in that 2-week window?
    Again, well said. The people who are always on Ebay are looking for bargins, often intending to re-sell. So, yes, don't expect more than a high wholesale price if you are selling. I felt very good about buying my virtually mint A-2 for $1300. I took a chance that the photos etc were accurate and it turned out very nicely. I don't think I will ever sell (re-sell?) this one
    . I have purchased a number of items that were not what I had hoped, but usually have been able to re-sell for no loss...occasionally a small profit. It is certainly a lousy way to be in business...one would starve.
    I look on Ebay as entertainment mostly and a way of selling some things occasionally as an alternative to donating to Goodwill etc. It can also be a way of "trying something out" with little long term risk.
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Penny Whistle

I have been watching A model Gibson ebay listings for quite a while. Almost all of them end up on my watch list.Asking prices can be all over the map. Asking prices don't count -only selling prices! There are exceptions of course -one very nice snake head went for over 3k recently but from what I am seeing -regardless of model,year or condition fewer than 20% of the A models listed actually close with a buyer if the price passes $1000. I have pages of no sale or relisted Gibsons that have ended on my watch list. I went through a parlor guitar jag a couple of years ago --well maybe 5 years ago. I haven't been following that for a long time now but recently started to do so again. I was shocked a how low the prices have gone down. There were multiple chances to buy something like a brazilian vintage Washburn at prices that were less than a 3rd of what they were netting 5 years ago. Something has happened in the Vintage instrument market and if you want one to play this is a great time to look. If you think of them as investments you might be very disappointed!

Quote Originally Posted by barney 59 View Post
    I went through a parlor guitar jag a couple of years ago --well maybe 5 years ago. I haven't been following that for a long time now but recently started to do so again. I was shocked a how low the prices have gone down. There were multiple chances to buy something like a brazilian vintage Washburn at prices that were less than a 3rd of what they were netting 5 years ago. Something has happened in the Vintage instrument market and if you want one to play this is a great time to look.
    Same thing with violins. There was a time when I could count on getting around $500-$800 for a nicely restored early 1900's factory violin. Then last year sometime the bottom fell out of that market. As mentioned, its a buyers market. Which is why I start everything I sell, for the most part, at 99 cents.
    Bottom line is when you buy from a brick and mortar store, you pay a bit more for the opportunity to play the instrument. When you buy from an established online dealership, you pay more trusting they won't sell you a guard. When you buy on eBay, your going on looks only, and hoping it sounds good, but you pay less.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    It would seem then that folks (and I know a few) who find what they want in a bricks and mortar store, pick the sales attendant's brains, and then go on to ebay to find it, or the other way, find something interesting on ebay, go to a store where it is for sale and talk to the sales attendant, and then go back to ebay, are gaming the system at both ends.
    Nowadays, with smart phones and tablets, you can do all this without even leaving the store. I've often browsed prices online while browsing similar items in a store. (I've also been known to phone a store from inside the store when I'm waiting around not getting any service. "Hello, I'm over in aisle three, can you send a sales associate over here to help me out? Thanks!")

I'll do that with a lot of stuff.It isn't fair to the store maybe but I want to pay the least for the most I can get and to me that is fair. Musical instruments are different because each one is different. I'm passed the bargain or factory made instrument phase so I am particular and I always want to see them and play them before I buy. Paying more or too much isn't even a factor if it's the one I want. It's unique and there are no comps! There really isn't going to be another one anywhere at any price that is that one! If I would buy something on ebay it's because it's the only place I could find it or it's something that I want at a very,very, very good price indeed! Electronics or tools, almost anything factory made --one is the same as another and I will go to a store and figure out which thing suits me best and if I find it online at a better price then I buy it there. I have at times asked the store if they can match the price I can get it for online and sometimes they will and sometimes they won't. Some stores such as Best Buy really might give you the best price for a large item, like a TV, then charge you 3 times the going price for an HDMI cable. I think that is a marketing strategy of their's. Give the computer away but make a bunch on the accessories. I do like the calling a store from inside the store idea---Home Depot has these big doors that your not supposed to go though. When I can't get any service I'll push the doors open making the alarms go off-- then they all come rushing. I'll be standing there "I thought that might get your attention" At Sears I just go to the middle of an aisle and yell at the top of my lungs---"Does anybody work here?!"