Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Straightforward, CHEAP, volume boost

Default Re: Straightforward, CHEAP, volume boost

Quote Originally Posted by keithb View Post
    Slightly OT, but I'm thinking of switching to a mic - which preamp are you using? I'd love to have one with a loop I could put a mute/tuner in.
    I use a JoeMeek ThreeQ. Back then it was the first mic pre with an insert and phantom power I could find and purchase. Now some years later you might have other options. Still I am satisfied with it and have no need to replace it. The EQ works pretty well for cutting the bass and fiddling around with the treble. But it does not allow to notch out feedback. This was never a problem for me, this could have been done on the mixing desk.

By the way I use a DPA 4099 V mic.

EDIT:
    One thing to mention is that the JM 3Q has 1/4" TRS symmetrical line level outputs. That's absolutely O.K. But some times it is hard to convince the sound tech that, yes, it is symmetrical and does not need a DI box. And no, you should not connect it to a mic XLR input unless this input can handle line level signals. And you need an adaptor cable if you use it with a stage box whith XLR ins only. And possibly a second adaptor to connect it to the boards TRS line input after the multicore.
    Last edited by Toni Schula; May-25-2015 at 8:48am.

Quote Originally Posted by Bauzl View Post
    I use a JoeMeek ThreeQ. Back then it was the first mic pre with an insert and phantom power I could find and purchase. Now some years later you might have other options. Still I am satisfied with it and have no need to replace it. The EQ works pretty well for cutting the bass and fiddling around with the treble. But it does not allow to notch out feedback. This was never a problem for me, this could have been done on the mixing desk.

By the way I use a DPA 4099 V mic.

EDIT:
    One thing to mention is that the JM 3Q has 1/4" TRS symmetrical line level outputs. That's absolutely O.K. But some times it is hard to convince the sound tech that, yes, it is symmetrical and does not need a DI box. And no, you should not connect it to a mic XLR input unless this input can handle line level signals. And you need an adaptor cable if you use it with a stage box whith XLR ins only. And possibly a second adaptor to connect it to the boards TRS line input after the multicore.
    Thanks!

I'm familiar with that dance with sound techs - "Yes, my guitar does have a balanced line level out, no, I do not want to use a DI box."

Mandolin Dreams Unlimited MysTiK PiKn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    If I have understood correctly, what he wants is two volume levels (that's what a booster pedal offers you). With the attenuator he can set his "rhythm" level, and when he plays "lead", he turns the pedal off. What's inside is probably the same as this.
    "THIS" IS REALLY COOL Thx Polecat.
    http://www.premierguitar.com/article...set-volume-box
    If you can melt solder, DIY. with how to instrux.

= The Loar, LM700VS c.2013 = "The Brat"
    = G. Puglisi, "Roma" c.1907 = "Patentato" - rare archBack, canted top, oval
    = Harmony, Monterrey c.1969 = collapsed ply - parts, testing, training, firewood.

"The intellect is a boring load of crawp. Aye. Next wee chune".

A few caveats, MysTiK PiKn - if you're using a piezo pickup, I've no idea how it will perform if you plug straight into it, and any pickup requiring phantom power will certainly start behaving oddly. If you use a preamp with an unbalanced (=normal jack) output it will be fine between the preamp and the desk. There may also be a problem with real or percieved treble loss when the attenuater is on - if you google "treble bleed capacitor" you can find the solution. I used to use a Jim Dunlop volume pedal (with an electric mandolin) that sounded "muddy" if I played at reduced volume - a capacitor between the input and sweep of the potentiometer solved the problem. These things are fun (and cheap) to play with.
    "Give me a mandolin and I'll play you rock 'n' roll" (Keith Moon)

5. The following members say thank you to Polecat for this post:

Mandolin Dreams Unlimited MysTiK PiKn's Avatar

if you google "treble bleed capacitor" you can find the solution.

The site you linked has the bleed fix - and a whole lot of other cool stuff. thx

And thank you for the "heads up"

= The Loar, LM700VS c.2013 = "The Brat"
    = G. Puglisi, "Roma" c.1907 = "Patentato" - rare archBack, canted top, oval
    = Harmony, Monterrey c.1969 = collapsed ply - parts, testing, training, firewood.

"The intellect is a boring load of crawp. Aye. Next wee chune".

I have a choice between 2- the EP-1, which has a relatively midrange boost, and a Morley AP-10 electric-acoustic preamp, for an Ibanez electric mando. I think the Morley adds a LOT of punchier volume plus it has knobs for tweaking B, M, and T cuts as well as hi and lo gain switches. I think the EPB might provide little more portability, being relatively tiny, and the Morley might have definite pluses in a recording situation, but it's boxier space-wise. I look forward to finding out this year!