Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What B.C. Picks have you tried?

Default What B.C. Picks have you tried?

I know everyone loves to talk about their pick choices and many will be excited about yet another pick thread. Going out on that limb, I previously only had the CT-55 by obvious reasons to those who have used and been thrilled by it. I wanted to try something a little different and purchased a SR-50. It came in the mail just yesterday and I thought I'd give it my review. If you're one of those who are having trouble w/ Tremolo, this pick smooths out that. I like it for playing softly or quietly around the house. It's not as loud as the CT-55. I think it also gives my mandolin a deeper tone. I do not regret the purchase as I used it entirely yesterday. I'd like to hear from others on what they have tried and did or did not like. I play bluegrass and mostly fiddle tunes and gospel music.
    Kenny B. Playing on a Stelling S-5Q #144
    Lakota Leathers strap
    Blue Chip CT55 pick & SR-50
    D'Addario J75 Strings
    Virtuoso Premium Polish / Yes I clean & polish my mandolin

Default Re: What B.C. Picks have you tried?

I have only tried and own the TAD60-3R, TAD50-1R and TAD60-1R.
    I thought about the CT55 but it looks like the points are sharper than I usually like. I have the 1Rs because I also play guitar and use the pointy corners on that. I do not care for the feel of the 50 on the mandolin as much as the 60 but they both sound good.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

3. The following members say thank you to Drew Egerton for this post:

Kowboy 

Hey Drew; I thought about going for the SR-60, but balked when I read some mandolin reviews on it. Now I wish I'd gone w/ my first choice. I'd like to try another pick now that I see there are differences in the options available and how they apply to my style, string choices, music choices and my particular mandolin. If I can get a little direction, might just save some coins.
    Lakota Leathers strap
    D'Addario J75 Strings

I have two TP50-1R and a TAD50 picked up from various forums classifieds. I like them all for both mandolin and guitar but have actually been using Wegen TF140s lately. They seem louder and I like the pointy ends and the larger size better.....right now anyway. I don't regret spending money on these, they'll last for my lifetime and as my preferences change I can go back and forth between them.

6. The following members say thank you to bigskygirl for this post:

Kowboy 

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I like the large jazz 40 for classical, Celtic stuff. Mostly for my A3 driving Thomastik Heavy.

I love the CT 55 though.

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

8. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

Kowboy 

Hey fatt-dad. Haven't played much Celtic, but I see you endorsing a 40 pick for that style of music. I tried a TAD-40 and at the time did not like the sound it brought out. I actually had purchased the 40 for my guitar playing Grandson. I see him using it at least when he comes here for Wednesday night dinners. I'm gonna give the 40 another look when he comes over again. In the past I would never consider using different picks for different songs / music. On a journey right now. That reminds me, would someone mail a BC down to Key West. There's a fellow down there who needs to give one of these a look.
    Lakota Leathers strap
    D'Addario J75 Strings

My first BC was a TAD50-1R. This was before they marked the model number on it. It just says Blue Chip 50. I played with it for several years, then gave it to my wife to play with and got myself a TAD60. Those are the only BC picks I've personally used, and I've sworn by them for a long time.

The old one is of the darker brown color, and the new one is of the lighter brown color. Everyone seems to agree that they're essentially the same, but I hear a distinct difference when I do a drop-test of the two. Part of it may be the different thicknesses, but it really sounds to me like the older/darker one is more mellow.

At any rate, both BC picks are spending their time in the case storage compartments these days. The Dunlop Primetone picks may have cured me of my BC loyalty. I really didn't expect that.

11. The following members say thank you to Tobin for this post:

Kowboy 

Tobin; This is my 2nd time hearing about that "drop test". Someone posted about it on the BC site. The review there mentioned the test. So dropping a pick can possibly be a good thing.
    Lakota Leathers strap
    D'Addario J75 Strings

Quote Originally Posted by Kowboy View Post
    Tobin; This is my 2nd time hearing about that "drop test". Someone posted about it on the BC site. The review there mentioned the test. So dropping a pick can possibly be a good thing.
    It's only a good thing if you pick it back up afterwards, assuming you can find it!

Yeah, a drop test is a crude but simple way to compare picks. Just drop them on a hard surface from a few inches above. Drop them so they land on their flat side, not on the edge. Each pick type will give a distinctive sound. Generally speaking, the ones that have a more muted thuddy sound when they land will produce a thuddier sound when played. The ones that sound like glass hitting the table will have a more bright sound when played. Lots of variations and middle-ground, and each pick will be unique.

It's not an exact science, of course, but it is interesting to compare picks this way as a secondary means to actually playing them on a mandolin. Over time, you can learn a lot about picks via the drop-test.

14. The following members say thank you to Tobin for this post:

Kowboy 

I first bought a CT55 and TD35, both with right hand bevel. Do not care for the CT55 much, but the TD35 was pretty good. Still used my Wegen Bluegrass at 1mm and 1.4mm a bit more often. Then I tried the TD40 with round bevel and like it a lot. Think I will try a TD60 with round bevel next, for a bit darker tone.
    -Jim

16. The following members say thank you to jclover for this post:

Kowboy 

I use a custom gauge BC TAD 45 and a Fender Extra Heavy large rounded triangle for about $34.75 less than the BC.. To me anything heavier is a tone killer... robs part of the mids and all of the high end. Yes, heavy picks give "that sound", but it seems rather "choked" to me... then again I don't play bluegrass.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Glassweb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jclover View Post
    I first bought a CT55 and TD35, both with right hand bevel. Do not care for the CT55 much, but the TD35 was pretty good. Still used my Wegen Bluegrass at 1mm and 1.4mm a bit more often. Then I tried the TD40 with round bevel and like it a lot. Think I will try a TD60 with round bevel next, for a bit darker tone.
    The TAD-60 is on my bucket list as well. I'm loving on the more rounded picks right now.
    Lakota Leathers strap
    D'Addario J75 Strings

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

kowboy, the BC Jazz shape has a nice point, which seems to allow for more precision in picking classical stuff. I may like it in a 50, but didn't see a large Jazz in thicker material. I'm sure Mike would make it though.

f-d

p.s., greetings from Henrico County!
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

21. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

Kowboy 

Thanks for the greetings F-D. I seriously looked at the Jazz pick but could not vision it between my fat fingers. I believe it is a small pick? I've probably developed more than enough bad mandolin habits as I do hold the pick between my thumb and index near the tips. I don't know about others, but I'm constantly having my pick fingers touching the strings. I do try to avoid it though. I've heard you mention The Church Circuit. I used to go to Jahnke Rd many years ago. A great place for everyone from beginners to ripping players. I also would go to a local Church on Old Church Rd. (RT. 606). I don't like late evenings as much so I pick solo now. I want to go to a picking that is off RT. 360 / Mechanicsville Tpke. I believe it's called "Berkley's Opera House. Not sure about the Berkley name though. It's at a private residence on Walnut Grove Rd.
    Lakota Leathers strap
    D'Addario J75 Strings

I seem to be in the minority here as i started with a 60, then went to a 50 and for some time now i have been loving the 35. I am sure it depends on the mandolin, but to me the 35 has the best sound.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

24. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Kowboy 

Lost my boots in transit terzinator's Avatar

CT-55
    TAD-60
    TAD-80
    TPR-60

I think the CT-55 and TAD-60 (both VERY close in size, shape and thickness) are my two favorites, currently.

The TAD-80 I fell in love with when I first got it, but haven't played as much lately. Sometimes I think it has too much pick click.

The TPR-60 is nice and mellow; great for tremolo, and helps my pick motion. But its rounder points mean it's not quite as loud, so I haven't used it as much in jams.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to terzinator For This Useful Post:

dangHadji36Kowboy 

I'm going to second TERZINATOR.

I use both the CT-55 and TAD 60. I am currently using the CT-55 most, but I go back and forth. CT-55 is 1.4mm and TAD-60 is 1.5mm. The CT-55 is just a "smidge" brighter. Quite frankly, if you had one, you wouldn't miss the other...they are that close. If I could have only one, it would be the CT-55 (kinda like splitting the difference).

Hope that helps.
    "If you pick it... It will never heal." - Mom

28. The following members say thank you to Hadji36 for this post:

Kowboy 

I have the TP-1R in both 50 and 60. Initially, I liked the 60 better, but as I used them more I now find I play the 50 much more. I feel like I lose a little bit of clarity and distinction with the 60 on my mandolins. Changing to the 50 for both mandolins did coincide with a string change to the EXP74CM. With those strings, the 60 was too much pick.

30. The following members say thank you to Mark Seale for this post:

Kowboy 

Blog Entries

Bluechip had a booth at last year's IBMA expo. Like a candy store. I only wish I had brought my own mandolin to try them on.

For the record my favorite BC pick is my first. It is personalized so no trading that one.

32. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

Kowboy 

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    Bluechip had a booth at last year's IBMA expo. Like a candy store. I only wish I had brought my own mandolin to try them on.

For the record my favorite BC pick is my first. It is personalized so no trading that one.
    Man that would be a Golden Opportunity. I agree that you would need to be trying them on your own mandolin / equipment. After reading the many post here, I am leaning to a 35 pick in point and possibly in rounded.
    Lakota Leathers strap
    D'Addario J75 Strings

For the TAD size picks, you can order one with the "1R" configuration which gives you one rounded corner with two points. If you get two picks with the "1R" configuration, you can have two different thicknesses. I don't see a "1R" option though for the Signature picks (i.e. the CT-55, etc.).
    "If you pick it... It will never heal." - Mom

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hadji36 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    . . . At any rate, both BC picks are spending their time in the case storage compartments these days. The Dunlop Primetone picks may have cured me of my BC loyalty. I really didn't expect that.
    Me too. I had been using a TD50 but ordered three 1.0 mm Primetones for the princely total of $6, and I'm a convert. Nothing against the BC but I do like the "grippy" feature on the Dunlops.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

TD 40 . AN TD 35. LIKE BOTH,STILL USE my mccarys also

Been liking TAD40 for most guitars and CT55 for most mandolins, though the TAD40 is great for bowlbacks and old flatback mandolins that need less shoving-around.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

(All picks with right hand bevel except as marked)

TP50, TP60
    CT55
    TAD50
    TAD60, TAD60-1R
    TAD60-no bevel
    TAD80

Least favorites: TP picks - only because of smaller size.
    Favorites: TAD60 (with bevel), TAD80

All these picks had great tone and no major negatives.
    Present Favorite is TAD80 because of 'solid feel' as it passes through the strings.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”