Thread: Kentucky KM-900

Default Kentucky KM-900

I just wanted to take a second and post a word of thanks for my KM-900. It was built oversees and I don't see any way to contact the specific builders (have tried), but hopefully somehow the winds of fate will blow and the builders of these fine instruments will know how appreciated they are by reading posts like this. I love my KM-900 and everything it can do.
    TKD Falcon F5

2. The following members say thank you to atbuckner21 for this post:

Default Re: Kentucky KM-900

Those Kentucky Master Models are fine instruments for sure. I'm sure you will be happy and content for a long while.

I own a '12 KM-1000; same vintage as yours; so I feel your joy.

4. The following members say thank you to J Mangio for this post:

Thanks for responding. I played several really expensive mandolins this weekend and felt like my Kentucky held it's own with them
    Last edited by atbuckner21; May-18-2015 at 1:06pm.
    TKD Falcon F5

6. The following members say thank you to atbuckner21 for this post:

I know of three Kentucky Master Models being used as gigging axes locally (two of which I sold). Our bluegrass scene takes it's toll on instruments, so I see a lot of the mandolins on a semi regular basis. WOW, the Kentucky's have really opened up! I just had a KM-1000 come in for a checkup, and going up the fingerboard checking the fretting, I was struck by the incredible volume. I do not recall it being nearly as loud when new.

As good as they sound new, apparently, playing it for hours outdoors in the snow under gas heaters, spilling beer on it, letting it get dehydrated, breaking/repairing it, and generally beating it to near death is exactly what they need to sound even better!
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Folkmusician.com For This Useful Post:

I was really lucky to find a never used KM900 in varnish finish 5 months ago and it's such a great mandolin. Can't wait to see how she sings in the years that come.
    Last edited by Joey Anchors; May-18-2015 at 9:58pm.
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

Varnish?? What is the story with that? Never heard they were available that way.

Mandolin Dreams Unlimited MysTiK PiKn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by atbuckner21 View Post
    I just wanted to take a second and post a word of thanks for my KM-900. It was built oversees and I don't see any way to contact the specific builders (have tried), but hopefully somehow the winds of fate will blow and the builders of these fine instruments will know how appreciated they are by reading posts like this. I love my KM-900 and everything it can do.
    Appreciation is a powerful force. It is also a two-way street. There is no lack. There is no limit.

12. The following members say thank you to MysTiK PiKn for this post:

I only had a chance to play one KM900 for a few minutes at a store in England, and I was impressed. Has anyone got experience of both the KM900 and the KM950? I'd like to hear what people think of the 950.

Robert, thanks for posting and encouraging this community. You are the best!
    TKD Falcon F5

I had heard a lot of good things about the KM-900 so when one came up in the classifieds, I called the fellow and he said he was selling it because it was too loud and bassy for his Celtic music so he sold it pretty cheap, I bought it, changed strings to the GHS A-270`s and have never been unhappy with it since then, there are some pros that own them and play them and they speak very highly of them also...They say they are a pretty close copy of the one and only original Gibson A-5 that was signed by Lloyd Loar, the only thing that I would change is install larger frets which I understand has been done on the KM-950 along with a slight radius on the fingerboard....

Enjoy it and play the heck out it, it will sound even better as the months go by.....

Willie

Quote Originally Posted by Ron McMillan View Post
    I only had a chance to play one KM900 for a few minutes at a store in England, and I was impressed. Has anyone got experience of both the KM900 and the KM950? I'd like to hear what people think of the 950.
    Ron - I've owned both the 900 and the 950, and any difference in tone is probably the same that exists between different instruments of the same model. I like the scooped fingerboard on the 950, but the fingerboard has such as slight radius to it that I really can't tell much difference in terms of playability.

17. The following members say thank you to Clement Barrera-Ng for this post:

I had the Florida of mine scooped and put Martin Guitar frets on it, with Grover Tuners. I am so happy with it
    TKD Falcon F5

Take some pics if you get a chance!

20. The following members say thank you to GuyIncognito for this post:

I have a 950, like it a lot. Like the radius, the frets and the scooped florida. Mine seems to have a very thin finish. Big rub spot under the treble string and I don't really plant my pinkie. Doesn't bother me, not a collector instrument.

22. The following members say thank you to truck2242 for this post: