Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: string set for octave mandolin 21" scale length

Default string set for octave mandolin 21" scale length

I plan to order the string set shown in the picture below for my 21" scale length guitar converted to OM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandolaStringSet.JPG 
Views:	279 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	134117

These are loop end strings, and I plan to put the pin thru the loop before inserting in the bridge hole.

1) would the string be long enough ?
    2) what note should I tune the strings to for best result ? (as long as it's tuned in fifth, I am OK, whether it's CGDA or DAEB or GDAE does not matter)
    3) scale length of the instrument that uses this string set

The original guitar strings are tuned as standard guitar tuning (EADGBE), I have no idea which string set was on it.

Default Re: string set for octave mandolin 21" scale length

I think you should use J80 and tune to GDAE for a 21" scale OM

I think you should use J80 and tune to GDAE for a 21" scale OM
    Thanks for the suggestion. I will order this J80 set.
    I wish part of the string set description includes the tuning for various scale length.

RedKnucklesUnclesCousin GKWilson's Avatar

I'm with jmp. J80's are the go to set for Octave Mandolin.
    vincit qui se vincit

The John Pearse are also very good, if you need ball end you can just get guitar strings - need to buy 2 sets

I usually go
    e= 012
    a= 022 or 024
    d= 032 or up to 38
    G = 042 or up to 48

Could not disagree more. I use the J72 set on my 20 3/8 inch OM and they work very well. The J80 set is made for a 23 inch scale length. I think that you really need the thicker strings on a short scale instrument. I tried J80s but I found them too flabby. BTW I tune GDAE.

The person I bought my instrument from had it luthier modified for mandola strings. Nut and bridge slots were widened accordingly. And yes, they are long enough. And I know I am not the only one to do this. There have been threads on it before.

I should add that I don't know if they will be long enough for your conversion. Depends on the body length. On my OM I end up with several inches to trim off. I believe they are in the neighborhood of 30 inches long total. YMMV. But the gauges would be fine.
    Last edited by multidon; May-15-2015 at 6:22pm.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

The (3/4 size) guitar has 21" scale length, and about 5" from top tuners to nut, for a total of about 27" to 28". If the strings are 30" or longer, they will fit. I am even thinking about using loop end strings where two strings of each course go thru one single bridge pin. That means I will only need 4 bridge pins instead of 8. But this is only a thought I have to consider again before plugging and re-drilling the bridge holes. I will have to work on the nut and saddle for sure.

If you have a pin bridge why not use ball end strings? You could buy single guitar strings and customize any gauges you want, even duplicate the gauges of the J72 set.
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

I could not find plain steel strings (single) at 0.020 or 0.22.
    I already have from Martin light string sets: 0.12, 0.16, 0.32, 0.25, 0.32, 0.42, 0,54
    I could not find 0.020 or 0.022 plain steel strings anywhere.

Just Strings has them. Go to the website, single strings, click on D'Addario, bottom right has plain steel strings. Scroll down the page a bit.

I did go to JustString.com, they do not have 0.020 / 0.022 plain steel string (for the A strings), but only have 0.023 wound string !!!

There is a major misconception here. The second course is supposed to be wound, not plain!
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

21" and ball-end is what I have, too. I use single guitar strings 52w-36w-24w-14p, GDAE. As multidon said, only the E strings are plain.

14. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

kkmm 

Mine were 52, 36, 24, 13 however I found the 52 very floppy, too bassy and lacking in good tone, and went for a 46 instead. All wound bar the e string.
    "Danger! Do Not Touch!" must be one of the scariest things to read in Braille....

There is a major misconception here. The second course is supposed to be wound, not plain!
    I missed that, I thought the strings are similar to mandolin strings, only G and D are wounded. I will order the .022 strings then (on top of my two guitar string sets).
    The J80 string set shows:

Diameter
    G or A .046w
    G or A .046w
    D .032w
    D .032w
    A .022w
    A .022w

D or E .012p
    D or E .012p

Quote Originally Posted by kkmm View Post
    I missed that, I thought the strings are similar to mandolin strings, only G and D are wounded. I will order the .022 strings then (on top of my two guitar string sets).
    The J80 string set shows:

Diameter
    G or A .046w
    G or A .046w
    D .032w
    D .032w
    A .022w
    A .022w

D or E .012p
    D or E .012p
    If you are new to OM playing and maybe even after, you might try a custom set such as:

.011 or .012
    .020 wound

I have enjoyed the slightly lighter tension with this set.
    You can play around with string tensions on this link:

http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com/stringxxiii.html

If you are new to OM playing and maybe even after, you might try a custom set such as:

.011 or .012
    .020 wound
    Thanks for the suggestion. I am pretty new to OM, less than one week of practice with a 25.5" scale.
    I created another on "Oscar Smith junior guitar to OM conversion", it's almost completed, just need to get the proper strings and re-carve the saddle for proper intonation.

Thanks for the suggestion. I am pretty new to OM, less than one week of practice with a 25.5" scale.
    I created another on "Oscar Smith junior guitar to OM conversion", it's almost completed, just need to get the proper strings and re-carve the saddle for proper intonation.
    I have a similar scale (20.5") OM, and it took a couple of string trials to get heavy enough gauges that worked well. Although I used both ball- and loop-end strings I had on hand, the J72 gauges are closest to what I settled on, EXCEPT that I would suggest an even heavier G (low) course than .049 in GDAE tuning. I'm using 14-23w-35w-52w. However, depending on the setup going a tick or two lighter gauge would probably suit, too.
    Last edited by acousticphd; May-22-2015 at 4:17pm. Reason: added more
    Jeff Rohrbough
    "Listen louder, play softer"

Why not buy guitar single strings and make a set that way. Most on-line string outlets, such as Just Strings, Strings and Beyond, etc. have singles, both loop and ball end?
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Why not buy guitar single strings and make a set that way.
    That would be easy if we know the exact string gauges to get for best sound.
    Buying a J80 set (0.012 / 0.22w / 0.032w / 0.046w) is a good start, that's what I ordered.
    I believe this is for 25.5" scale length, mine is measured to be 22.5".
    With the J80 set, I have to tune to A E B F# to have the exact same tension. (On a regular guitar 25.5" scale length, fret#2 is about 2" from the nut) or tune to G D A E to get lower tension (better as the OM now has 8 strings instead of 6).

So far I have been using the Thomastik octave mandola strings on mine (I haven't seen the octave for almost 2 months since it is in our shipment to the UK).....I have a Weber octave 20" that they just fit on. I "think" they would also fit on a 21" although I do have to take off about 3/4" of the wrapping on the string. Now if I could find a guitar string equivalent (singles) that sounds about the same (and for cheaper) I would go for that. Guess in a perfect world I want the easy playing of the Thomastik with the nice bright sound of the Pearse that came with the instrument....or likely the J80's which I haven't tried on this yet.

unfortunately, the "best gauges" for the instrument are generally discovered through experimentation. I've played around with various sets for my mandolas and octaves over the last few years. Curt Mangan will actually make custom sets for you once you determine what gauges you prefer.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Buying a J80 set (0.012 / 0.22w / 0.032w / 0.046w) is a good start, that's what I ordered.
    I believe this is for 25.5" scale length, mine is measured to be 22.5".
    According to the package I have, the J80 is 22.75" scale length tuned to GDAE so you should be fine.

I had to replace the 0.012 strings with 0.014 as 0.012 is a bit slack. The instrument sounds better with 0.014 tuned as E.
    And 0.046w is also a bit slack for the low G. 0.049w would be better, I had to buy them separately.

The Mandola gauges tuned to GDAE should be ok for that scale length.