Thread: sleeping mandolins

Default sleeping mandolins

I recently played a 2005 Duff that hadn't been played in years. The set up was great, a little on the low side, but the mando sounded muted. Almost like the top was hardly vibrating. I've played a number of Duffs and enjoyed them all. Is it a possibility that this particular Mando needs to "reawaken" through playing?

Default Re: sleeping mandolins

There have been a bunch of threads on this subject. Some people don't think that intruments "open up" over time or with play. I'm of the camp that they do and will go to sleep if not played for a period of time. I've even noticed a "settling in" period after a fresh re-string where the tone will evolve.

I recently bought a Duff that hadn't been played in a while. It took about 2-3 hours of play to "wake up." I've been playing it for a couple hours every day since and the sound is continuing to develop; some very nice overtones, as well. I suspect that the Duff that you played would do the same. BTW...my wife loves my Duff.
    "If you pick it... It will never heal." - Mom

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Yes.... it is quite possible ..likely even. How much playing is the question. Luthier Duff makes a fine well crafted instrument. It is possible that a never to awaken instrument came out of his shop. But not likely. I have certainly never played a Duff dog. If it were mine I'd raise the action at the "wheels" put some .115 DR's on that mandolin and play it for a week. All wood instruments will take a nap if left alone in their cases. Perhaps I could start a small business and drive around the country visiting collections , changing strings and waking sleeping beauties up. Alas startup funding requires me matching six numbers...... lol R/ R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Among those who subscribe to the "waking up" phenomena, there's the observation that red spruce (Adirondack) takes the longest to mature to it's full potential, something like 3 to 5 years. During that maturation period, the mandolin will tend to fall asleep easily and require frequent playing to keep it awake. Paul Duff uses red spruce nearly exclusively on his instruments so your observations about this particular 2005 F-5 are not at all surprising. That reminds me, I have a Duff H-5 mandola that hasn't been played in quite a while. What a delightful way to spend a Sunday afternoon...

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Blog Entries

There is currently a long debate about this subject here:
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...strument/page4

In the meantime, I recommend some new strings and raising the action.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Baldridge View Post
    some new strings
    I'll say! After some years of non-playing, the hand dirt from the last playing must have worked its magic
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

I'm of the school that some get better and some don't over time. I have a 1975 Alverez that has aged or opened up unbelievably through the years and a 1975 Martin that to me sounds the same. I have a new mandolin that seems tight. It's only a week old from its last coat of varnish so it's way early to see how she does. But I always like to hear about people's experiences with new mandolins.

If it moves, and it can unmove.

Quote Originally Posted by Keifer View Post
    I'm of the school that some get better and some don't over time. I have a 1975 Alverez that has aged or opened up unbelievably through the years and a 1975 Martin that to me sounds the same. I have a new mandolin that seems tight. It's only a week old from its last coat of varnish so it's way early to see how she does. But I always like to hear about people's experiences with new mandolins.
    I think this is a very important post.

I too believe in the sleep thing.
    My martin, after a rather long law school hiatus, absolutely re-awakened. I had not only my own ears, but those of several others that commented on the changes over about of month of playing daily once again.

Both my fern and Brentrup seem to close up with only a couple of weeks 'rest', only to again seem to gain more volume and oompf.
    These are subtle, but when in the drivers seat , that's what I hear. I don't know if I would be able to discern the difference in a recording however.

To me it is similar to the breaking in phenomenon, HOWEVER,
    I strongly believe if and instrument doesn't sound good when new, one should never think it will break in to the point of a dramatic change.

Any possibility you are just learning to better hear the subtleties of your instrument with your ears . which allow you to key in the sweet spots during play adjusting position and technique to that particular instrument ?

Are the strings old too?. Old vs. new strings make a world of difference.

I've read some of these threads lately. One idea I'd like to throw out there is that of tonal reference. Ie, when you switch from one instrument to another, the differences between the two are immediately noticible. As you keep playing the "new" instrument, the differences seem less prominent and the instrument you're now playing seems to be more balanced. You may also make subconscious adjustments in how you play the instrument to make up for the differences in tone (ie pick slightly differently: higher or lower on the neck, louder, quieter, or more focused on certain strings). At least that's how it is for me. Not saying that sleeping or opening up doesn't happen, but I think the differences may be more in our perception.
    No matter how well I play guitar, the audience always wants more mandolin.

Just as your body "awakens" from sleep every morning and performs its duties and daily tasks(after a few cups of coffee) so it is with the almighty Mando! It must be "awakened" EVERY day (by picking) to perform at its fullest potential...IMHO