Thread: LM 600 Tone, volume and projection "Larry"

Blog Entries

Thumbs up LM 600 Tone, volume and projection "Larry"

I selected a used a The Loar LM 600 mandolin at the Mandolin Store recently and pulled the trigger. I was in the market for an Lm 520, knowing that this was a decent all solid F style. An LM 600 showed up, nearly new for $499. I expected to get a serviceable F5 that I could add to my A5 and A4, to round out my mandolin family. What I got was a well built, nice looking mandolin, with a great set up.

The things I don't like: The finish under the fretboard extension and inside the scroll is as reviewed often here on the Cafe, roughly finished. It appears there was no buffing of the excess polish. I have read here that this isn't just a phenomenon of The Loar's, but is also true of even some US makers. In other words, it isn't something to worry about. This is the only negative I found.

What I like: The tone is fuller and bolder than the KM-1000 I sold (I wanted a Morris A4 and I have been so pleased). This LM 600 has a great punchy, round tone, with lots of projection. I played it out today on a patio filled with 40 people and it cut through background noise and kept up with my partner's acoustic guitar. The tuners are quality, the frets are nicely dressed, and the headstock inlay is just very attractive, for lack of another way to state it. The detailed trim is classy and the nitro is hand-buffed to a good looking finish. A classic BG mandolin. "Larry" barks like my neighbor's dog.

The 1-1/8" nut is nicely cut (credit in part to the great team at the Mandolin Store) and the frets are wider and softer on the fingers than the more traditional wire frets on the KM-1000. The neck is a round "V" with a comfortable full feeling in my hand. At first it was a new shape. Hours of practice yesterday and an hour long gig with it today made the comfortable shape of this neck a great advantage, and seemed to "rest" my hand.

Finally, the Mandolin Store set up, with the wonderfully low J74 strings was perfection. The string height is heavenly low, yet a strong attack brought no unwanted buzzes. Excellent action!

In case you are curious, I have no interest in scooping the extension. I love the stock look with the row of mini frets and don't have a clicking issue that I find problematic. I am leaving it alone.

This mandolin lives up to its street price of $850, and was a steal for slightly used at $499, including set up and case. I am a believer in The Loar-- fit and finish goes to Kentucky, however the tone, projection, neck, frets and action to The Loar. I find the headstock particularly attractive and give it the nod, as well. The Mandolin Store lived up to its billing.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3114.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	133826Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3119.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	162.3 KB 
ID:	133827
    Last edited by lflngpicker; May-07-2015 at 6:47pm. Reason: grammar

2. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

Default Re: LM 600 Tone, volume and projection "Larry"

Congrats! Good luck with your "The Loar". I just picked my LM-600 up also. Not set up yet, but I'll get to it. Unpacked it yesterday. Tuned it up, let it sit for a while. I played it for about 20 minutes, then put it down again for a couple hours. When I picked it up again it had already 'settled in'. Sounded great! Crisp, loud, full, good chop for brand new. I agree with you on most of the points you made. The finish to me is stunning. Soft, almost perfect. The headstock inlay is really beautiful. Frets good, bridge decent. I was amazed at the finish. Very clean, not sloppy at all. I found a few small flaws, but not much to complain about. Love mine! Here's a pic of the back:

Name:	Mando back.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	206.2 KB 
ID:	133828
    Mike

4. The following members say thank you to mmukav for this post:

I saw that one at the Mandolin Store and thought someone was going to get a good one.

6. The following members say thank you to Northwest Steve for this post:

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

congrats i like mine alot
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

8. The following members say thank you to darrylicshon for this post:

'The Loar LM600 cherry burst'.

Cherry Burst? Seriously? Darrylicshon--I gotta see a picture of that. Never knew they did Cherry Burst! Whoa!

10. The following members say thank you to mmukav for this post:

Blog Entries

Let's see that beauty, Darryl!

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

Your right mmukav they don't i refinished it , When i got it someone distressed it really bad , i got a really good deal couldn't pass it up

Name:	loar 600cb.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	396.9 KB 
ID:	133870
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

13. The following members say thank you to darrylicshon for this post:

Mandolin Dreams Unlimited MysTiK PiKn's Avatar

Congratulations on getting a nice one.

Nice to see that "Larry" is a 'boy mando'. Mines a boy too - haven't really named him yet; so far I call him "Brat". And he has been a brat, as I slowly work through the socalled 'factory setup'. Got frets under control, came out with super low action. Next is remove and refit the tailpiece to align with bridge. Also researching bridge tweaks. I improved overall action like 100% already. It started as high action and buzzy. Good side of all this work is I am learning lots. As I am just learning this, it's like life in slow motion. Taking a break, back at it soon. But I'm liking it lots more in "improved" condition. Pix of my 700 are under construction, in the nude.

= The Loar, LM700VS c.2013 = "The Brat"
    = G. Puglisi, "Roma" c.1907 = "Patentato" - rare archBack, canted top, oval
    = Harmony, Monterrey c.1969 = collapsed ply - parts, testing, training, firewood.

"The intellect is a boring load of crawp. Aye. Next wee chune".

Blog Entries

I admire the work you are doing yourself on your LM700. It is a great process, though some of which I would not probably have the confidence to attempt. I would have liked to get the LM700, but a bit out of my range. I lucked in the 600 at this price. Great to hear of your progress!

Quote Originally Posted by lflngpicker View Post
    I admire the work you are doing yourself on your LM700. It is a great process, though some of which I would not probably have the confidence to attempt. I would have liked to get the LM700, but a bit out of my range. I lucked in the 600 at this price. Great to hear of your progress!
    Thanks. I kinda got lucky in that it was a used mando, here in Ontario, Canada. You should see the price jump on new ones in Canadian $$ - then add ship, tax, and try to dodge those brokerage fees. I saved a lot of money by buying used. No warranty tho. So I do my own setup work, and the neck started like a roller coaster. I did fret file levelling. Eventually when i learn more and get more confident, I will plane the fretboard - that's the real fix. the rest of the work is simple stuff. thx.

You aren't shipping that 600 out I hope - no way, right? Larry's a keeper.

= Harmony, Monterrey c.1969 = collapsed ply - parts, testing, training, firewood.

Constantly In Search Of.. Michael Bridges's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wow, Larry! Really getting a nice collection going. Looks very nice, Congrats!
    Music speaks to us all. And to each of us, she speaks with a different voice.

J Bovier A5 Tradition

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MysTiK PiKn View Post
    Thanks. I kinda got lucky in that it was a used mando, here in Ontario, Canada. You should see the price jump on new ones in Canadian $$ - then add ship, tax, and try to dodge those brokerage fees. I saved a lot of money by buying used. No warranty tho. So I do my own setup work, and the neck started like a roller coaster. I did fret file levelling. Eventually when i learn more and get more confident, I will plane the fretboard - that's the real fix. the rest of the work is simple stuff. thx.

You aren't shipping that 600 out I hope - no way, right? Larry's a keeper.
    No, not flipping Larry. He is definitely a keeper! The fret filing sounds intriguing. The planing of the fretboard-- now that takes skill.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bridges View Post
    Wow, Larry! Really getting a nice collection going. Looks very nice, Congrats!
    Hi Mike, Thank you for the affirmation. Keep pickin'!

No, not flipping Larry. He is definitely a keeper! The fret filing sounds intriguing. The planing of the fretboard-- now that takes skill.
    Everything you need:
    www.frets.com

Just add patience, common sense, and close attention. A little meditation via the higher centers of consciousness goes a long way - that can take the form of full time daydreaming just to figure it out. Sorta like rather than make a plan, you receive the plan - you are well guided, dontcha know. Peace.
    Cheers.
    also - thx for dropping in.

21. The following members say thank you to MysTiK PiKn for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by darrylicshon View Post
    Your right mmukav they don't i refinished it , When i got it someone distressed it really bad , i got a really good deal couldn't pass it up

Name:	loar 600cb.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	396.9 KB 
ID:	133870
    Darryl, That mandolin looks really great and singularly unique in color combination. I really like a good cherry burst.

23. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

Update on my LM600:

Sorry to say I sent it back. In checking it over I found the tailpiece to be installed incorrectly. It was several millimeters off of center. Hard to see from the normal playing angle, but while changing strings I noticed it. Probalbly did not affect playing much, but for that amount of money I couldn't let it slide. I had read of others having the same problem, but I took a chance. Oh well....
    am going to try the Eastman MD315 instead. Almost went Kentucky, but the Eastman intrigues me more.

25. The following members say thank you to mmukav for this post:

Blog Entries

My LM600 is dead center with the tailpiece and the intonation is excellent, thanks to the Mandolin Store. I am sorry to hear about your difficulty. I wish you good luck with your Eastman.

Name:  Loar LM600.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  12.3 KB

Loar LM 600 Photo Album
    Last edited by lflngpicker; May-22-2015 at 10:07am. Reason: Photo album

My LM600 is dead center with the tailpiece and the intonation is excellent,
    Name:  Loar LM600.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  12.3 KB

Loar LM 600 Photo Album
    By the looks of it, I have same case as you. I took a black marker pen to the white 'the loar' on the outside of the case. It still looks good, and reads well - but from across the street, it looks like a black suitcase. No advertising, no announcing what I'm carrying, basic security. The case rides well on the back seat of my truck. I think protection is good; and I like the two outside pockets w zips. I would prefer a lid on the inside pocket; but it closes up when case closes. no biggy.

cheers.

Myst.

Blog Entries

Glad to hear from you, Myst. We have a few things in common, among them the case, but more importantly a love of music and instruments. Keep strumming, my friend.

I also just got a LM 600 slightly used it looks brand new original owner took great care of it. I bought it from another forum member who had it posted in the classified section. I was sold on the 520 after playing a few other makes in the same price range. For me the Loar felt, played and sounded better than the others. I'm not saying the Loar is a better instrument I'm just saying I liked it better. Anyway I saw the ad for the 600 and it was a no brainer I ended up with a fantastic 600 for less than what I was going to pay for a new 520. I love this thing it plays great, perfect intonation and sounds nice played softly or hit it hard it really sounds good. This is my first mando (I'm an old guitar hack who hasn't played a lick in over 17 years) Since this is my first mando any minor finish flaws are of no concern I just wanted a nice sounding insturment that I wouldn't out grow in a year, the 600 is nicer than I thought it would be. But this coming from guy whos never seen a high end mando. I'd like to thank this forum & the guys who post up there knowledge it helped me make a great choice on the LM 600.

Blog Entries

Loubrava, Your story about the 520 was similar to mine. When I saw an opportunity to get the LM600, which is the traditional blue grass mandolin that Loar offers with the tone bars, I snapped it up, too, as you read. It sounds like you made a great buy! I saw yours posted and was drawn to the ad because I had just purchased mine. The set up makes all the difference, too. I am amazed at the low action and ease of play on these nice chunky necks-- the flat fretboard seems to enhance that ability, though I find a radiused board on other mandolins very beneficial for comfortable play. I guess it is just the individual instrument built by Loar, the way they design a mandolin. Congratulations and enjoy playing!

Constantly In Search Of.. Michael Bridges's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Notice yor J Bovier isn't in the list any more. Didja move that one on already?
    Music speaks to us all. And to each of us, she speaks with a different voice.

J Bovier A5 Tradition

Blog Entries

Hi Michael, She was a beauty and is now being played by a pro in Singapore. I needed a semi-hollow electric and had to sacrifice her. I hope I don't regret it, but then nothing ventured nothing gained.