Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Pick thickness.

Default Re: Pick thickness.

My first Blue Chip was the TAD50-1R which is one rounded corner and 2 "regular" points. I prefer the sharper points on the guitar and the more rounded points on the mandolin. After two weeks of using that pick on both instruments, I decided I'd like a 3R (all three rounded) for the mandolin and also went up to a TAD60 thickness.
    I can't notice much difference in the tone or volume, but the 60 FEELS better to me.

As a 'backup' pick (thanks to another thread here for providing the PAS bug), I just ordered a TAD60-1R, so the 60 thickness but the shape of my guitar pick. I'll see if I like it better than the 50 on the guitar also, and will also experiment with the sharper points on the mandolin.

I considered the CT55 but just based on visual I feel like I wouldn't like the point shape as much. I also considered the Kenny Smith pick as posted above but ultimately went conservative.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

My current favorite size/shape/thickness pick is a 1.35mm thick, Fender 351 style, made of celluloid. If you've bought anything from me in the past six months or so, I may have sent you one too!

Quote Originally Posted by Steevarino View Post
    My current favorite size/shape/thickness pick is a 1.35mm thick, Fender 351 style, made of celluloid. If you've bought anything from me in the past six months or so, I may have sent you one too!
    You haven't sent me any

That's odd, Randy. I thought I've sent you about every kind of swag I've ever offered! I'll be sure to toss a couple in with these next couple of bridges we are making for you.

I am a newbie here. Just borrowed a mando from coworker yesterday. SO, the conversation on picks for playing mando is interestin to me. I have played acoustic guitar for over 40 years and have a huge collection of picks. I have picks of all shapes, gauges and what not. You find certain picks for styles you play. Reading in this forum it is obvious that a thicker pick is more suited for the mando. I will, of course, try picks that I have on hand. Two of my favorite picks, different gauges and designs, come from Red Bear. The one I think will work well is my style "F" , medium gauge. Red Bear also has a "Mondo" style that some might be attracted to for the mando or their "Big Jazzer". The medium gauge is around 1.11 to 1.30 mm. Red Bear's are pricey and hard to get ahold of, but, once you do you will see a very noticeable difference in tone.
    http://www.redbeartrading.com/

The other picks that I like and will try on the mando are TUSQ picks. Different gauges,sizes,styles and tonal differences. And very affordable!!!! http://www.graphtech.com/products/pr...tegories/picks
    Hope this helpful. Picks are a personal preference but it is very nice to hear what other people are using. Gives us all some ideas to try something new!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Espresso Geek View Post
    Reading in this forum it is obvious that a thicker pick is more suited for the mando.
    .... Picks are a personal preference
    Welcome!

Perhaps it's better to say that "it's obvious that many if not most players seem to have a preference for a thicker pick for mandolin".

For me, too thick (over 1mm) of a pick actually slows me down, and does not get any better tone out of my instruments than a thicker one. So it's not a hard and fast rule that thicker picks are better.

If real tortoise shell picks were available without having to harm the beasties, we'd all be playing picks about .75mm to 1mm thick.

7. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

@DavidKOS - thanks for the response!!! I usually play my Martin D-18 with pick gauges anywhere between a .46 or the aforementioned Red Bear gauge of 1.11 to 1.30. But I hold my pick a little different than most players I know. Instead of using the "pointy" part of the pick ,I hold the pick so I can use the rounded part of the pick at the top of the pick. I find that to be more to my liking. With the mando, I will experiment with different gauges, designs and how I hold the pick , to see what works best for me. This is all new to me and very exciting to learn a new instrument!!! Thanks again for your info!!!

9. The following members say thank you to Espresso Geek for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Espresso Geek View Post
    But I hold my pick a little different than most players I know. Instead of using the "pointy" part of the pick ,I hold the pick so I can use the rounded part of the pick at the top of the pick. I find that to be more to my liking. !
    It's not my choice, but using the rounded part of the pick is VERY popular in mandolin world.

You'll fit right in!

11. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

A thicker pick will have a darker tone than a thinner one, the tip is another part that make a difference. If I use a heavy (1.5mm or more) I find it harder to articulate notes. I also have found that with a larger pick there is more leverage to effect volume and tone, this of course depends on how close to the strings you hold the pick. the tip and the sides of a pick make a difference too. one with sides more rounded towards the tip are a little harder to snap than a more slender one. I make picks from the same material that Red Bear, John Pearse and Papas are made of, mine are individually hand made in my luthier's shop, have thickness averaging between 1.1 and 1.5 mm. I can do them thicker, up to around 3.5mm. I don't personally see any reason to go any thicker but some folks like'em heavy.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0092.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	120.6 KB 
ID:	134893

I used Pro Plec 1.5 tri-corner picks, (actually the Jazz Mando branded version)exclusively for mando and guitar for several years. Last year at IBMA, I picked up a 3-pack each of the Primetone 512P 1.5 tri-corner and 514P 1.3 rounded tri-corner picks (after seeing Scott Fore using them at the Bourgeois booth). Upon my first trial of the Primetones when I got home, I immediately stopped using the Pro Plecs on guitar, but continued to use them on mando. I settled on the 1.5 for large body guitars with medium strings and the 1.3 on small body guitars with med. light strings. After some time I started playing more with the Primetones and settled on the 1.3 for mando as well. The Pro Plecs went in the pick storage box.

I recently had a chance to get a couple BC picks as part of a trade. Based on my other picks I chose a TPR 50 and a TP 60. It did not take long for the TP 60 to replace the Primetone 1.5 and the TPR 50 to replace the Primetone 1.3. Although I do notice a perceived minor loss of volume (have not tested with a meter and brighter has the false perception of being louder) , the BC pick just have a richer tone and feel better attacking and sliding off the strings. The Primetones sound just a bit overly bright and plastic in comparison. And I mean just a bit. The Primetones are probably 80% as good as the BC. If I had to live with only the Primetones for the rest of my life I could do just fine. That said, after having used the BC I would certainly shell out the extra bucks for more if needed.

So in a nutshell:
    Mandolin and small body guitars = BC TPR 50 (Primetone 514P 1.3 a close second)
    Large body guitars = BC TP 60 (Primetone 512P 1.5 a close second)
    Pro Plec 1.5 sounds dark and dull in comparison to the others = retired

In reference to the OP, I agree what many have already stated. All other things being equal:
    Thicker = darker
    Rounded corners darker than pointed corners
    Softer material darker than harder material
    Bevel and other design factors also contribute to tone and volume.

My $0.025 worth. Your results may vary.

Getcha a bunch and play what you like!