Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joe Foley Bouzouki has arrived

Default Joe Foley Bouzouki has arrived

Hi all,

Just to let you know that my Joe Foley bouzouki has arrived in Mansfield, Victoria after a 7-day trip from Ireland, courtesy of DHL Express. I took her out of her case this morning, adjusted the truss rod and tuned her up. Amazing instrument! I can almost imagine the leprachauns jumping around inside her.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg 
Views:	1878 
Size:	258.1 KB 
ID:	133719

She has a 25 1/2" scale length, flat rosewood fingerboard, 'moonwood' used for the soundboard and rosewood back and sides. Mahogany neck it would appear. The width at the nut is 34 mm.

She has a very low action set up by Joe. I am waiting for the neck to adjust a bit more before I do any set up adjustments.

She reminds me of the Abnett I had in 2011 although she is much lighter and has a narrower neck profile than the Abnett.

Any more comments or questions are welcome.
    Nic Gellie

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nick Gellie For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Joe Foley Bouzouki has arrived

The first thing I have noticed playing her is that the chords are nice and clean without too much bass response. Overall, there is much more treble response than my previous bouzoukis. It seems to me Joe has made his bouzouki sit out from a typical steel string guitar and has succeeded. I am overawed.

The other facet is that she is so easy to play with the nicely shaped neck. I can get my hands around it. She is also well balanced with respect to the body and neck. This is how I like it.
    Nic Gellie

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Gellie View Post
    The first thing I have noticed playing her is that the chords are nice and clean without too much bass response. Overall, there is much more treble response than my previous bouzoukis. It seems to me Joe has made his bouzouki sit out from a typical steel string guitar and has succeeded. I am overawed.

The other facet is that she is so easy to play with the nicely shaped neck. I can get my hands around it. She is also well balanced with respect to the body and neck. This is how I like it.
    Thats a super slim nut. His zouks definitely dont have much bass however for backing trad music its perfect. I prefer big bodies and plenty bass but that sure is a beautifully made instrument. Could we have a video?

Garry that is the way I like it not much nut and a slim neck. To my way of thinking not having much bass is an asset - this bouzouki really cuts through and is beautifully balanced at the bottom end. It means you can hear the notes in the chords and there is just enough resonance for it to have some subtle overtones.

It has been a while since I played but I will get a video together. I have to get myself up to speed.

Taling to Joe in Ireland tonight, he is absolutely chuffed that everything has gone well so far. She spent a fair time with him before he was happy to send her off to the Antipodes.
    Nic Gellie

Foleys...such a classy, traditional, gorgeous build and sound and feel. I miss my old cittern, and remember it having precisely the features you describe. May yours bring many happy hours of play!

Mark

7. The following members say thank you to Markkunkel for this post:

Exclamation Re: Joe Foley Bouzouki has arrived

Garry that is the way I like it not much nut and a slim neck. To my way of thinking not having much bass is an asset - this bouzouki really cuts through and is beautifully balanced at the bottom end. It means you can hear the notes in the chords and there is just enough resonance for it to have some subtle overtones.

It has been a while since I played but I will get a video together. I have to get myself up to speed.

Taling to Joe in Ireland tonight, he is absolutely chuffed that everything has gone well so far. She spent a fair time with him before he was happy to send her off to the Antipodes.
    Great. Mind me asking what joe is quoted at the moment for this spec bouzouki

The cost of the basic bouzouki plus case like this one is 2150 Euros. I think it is a good price given the quality of the instrument that Joe makes.
    Nic Gellie

The cost of the basic bouzouki plus case like this one is 2150 Euros. I think it is a good price given the quality of the instrument that Joe makes.
    Agreed thats an excellent price
    Congrats on a beautiful instrument!

That is brilliant Nick, great looking Foley! You might enjoy this article I scanned from a 1996 "Irish Music" magazine: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...=1#post1376386.
    "But wasn't it all stupid nonsense, rot, gibberish, and criminally fraudulent nincompoopery?"
    - Neal Stephenson, Quicksilver

Mike, I would say that even after two days I am still amazed at my Irish Bouzouki. I feel there is a piece of Ireland inside her.

I had such fantastic conversations with Joe. One day I hope to meet him in person and go to one of the jamm sessions he attends at the local pub near his house.

I would love to hear him play. He told me his favourite pastime is to play counterpoint to someone singing. He must be good!

Thanks for the heads up on the article. I will download and print it.
    Nic Gellie

Mike, I would say that even after two days I am still amazed at my Irish Bouzouki. I feel there is a piece of Ireland inside her.

I had such fantastic conversations with Joe. One day I hope to meet him in person and go to one of the jamm sessions he attends at the local pub near his house.

I would love to hear him play. He told me his favourite pastime is to play counterpoint to someone singing. He must be good!

Thanks for the heads up on the article. I will download and print it.
    My facebook pal Seanie McGrath (who sent me the magazine) just received a new Foley as well. Little more convenient for him as he lives in Ireland. Wondering how you made contact with Joe - did you phone?
    "But wasn't it all stupid nonsense, rot, gibberish, and criminally fraudulent nincompoopery?"

Hi Mike

I have his phone number. I can send you it via a PM. It is the only way you can make contact with him. He has no email. I am wondering if he has no computer as well.
    Nic Gellie

Hi Mike

I have his phone number. I can send you it via a PM. It is the only way you can make contact with him. He has no email. I am wondering if he has no computer as well.
    That would be great Nick, appreciate it!

Good luck with your dealings with Joe, Mike. If you go ahead, it will be an absolute delight.

I am really impressed with my Joe Foley bouzouki, having had it for a week. It is an absolute delight to get it out of its case. Soundclips will appear soon.
    Nic Gellie

Good luck with your dealings with Joe, Mike. If you go ahead, it will be an absolute delight.

I am really impressed with my Joe Foley bouzouki, having had it for a week. It is an absolute delight to get it out of its case. Soundclips will appear soon.
    Won't be immediately Nic but must get the piggy bank filled up and place an order. I expect he wants a decent deposit first? It's pretty much been down to him, Mr. Abnett or Roger Bucknall for a long time now, and I think Joe is my first choice.

Looking forward to clips!

One good thing about ordering with Joe you just pay at the end, no deposit required.
    Nic Gellie

One good thing about ordering with Joe you just pay at the end, no deposit required.
    Very cool, thanks!

One more question Nic: can you give some idea of what the included case is like? Thanks...
    Last edited by Mike Anderson; May-13-2015 at 6:38pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson View Post
    Very cool, thanks!

One more question Nic: can you give some idea of what the included case is like? Thanks...
    It is a very solid case I can tell you. She is well padded inside. Here is a picture of her in the case.

Name:	IMG_2504.jpg 
Views:	897 
Size:	229.9 KB 
ID:	134052
    Nic Gellie

21. The following members say thank you to Nick Gellie for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson View Post
    Won't be immediately Nic but must get the piggy bank filled up and place an order. I expect he wants a decent deposit first? It's pretty much been down to him, Mr. Abnett or Roger Bucknall for a long time now, and I think Joe is my first choice.

Looking forward to clips!
    Good man Mike

I will get onto clips in the next few days. I prefer the anonymity of Soundcloud if that is OK. At least you don't get distracted by the pictures in the video clip.
    Nic Gellie

Thanks for the photo Nic, looks like a good serviceable case all right. Garry, I have been doing as much research as I can on bouzoukis in the last year, settling on either Joe, Peter Abnett, or Fylde longscale. Lo and behold, just last night I found a thread here at the Cafe posted a week ago by Mr. Abnett's daughter-in-law informing us he has now fully retired from building! So that's one option down.

There are a lot of things I love about the Fylde, not least is the zero fret. There are several videos on Utube by one guy in particular playing that instrument, but sound quality is not terrific. I gather it must be a pretty loud instrument, as the audio seems to clip pretty badly, but he's a great player and you get a fairly full impression. I'd been very much under the impression for some reason that Joe's instruments were priced too high for me to consider, but thanks to Nic's post and my chats with Seanie McGrath I see they're right around the same price. So that pretty much settles it for me as I have lots of recordings of Foley instruments (Eamon Doorley with Julie Fowlis and Danú mainly).

nic, is your foley bigger version of his bouzoukies, or regular size ..?
    thank you in advance, marin

Quote Originally Posted by maracirac View Post
    nic, is your foley bigger version of his bouzoukies, or regular size ..?
    thank you in advance, marin
    Hi Marin, maybe Nic's busy or traveling, so I'll tell you what he told me, since I had the same question:

"My bouzouki is a standard pattern - the basic one but with scale length shorter at 650 mm with a nut width of 34 mm (standard), a comfortable scale for me with smaller hands. I specified a rosewood fingerboard. He does take any spec but it will cost you more if you ask for more."

Here's the Foley standard model in a well-recorded video:

Hey Folks,

This conversation is interesting to me… I have made a few octave mandolins and am now using the same body for a Zouk…. but I have been making these instruments with flat tops, pin bridges and scalloped braces and they really "bark" if I may say so myself.

It's really an instrument I'm into these days, when I can hold onto one but I am into improvising solo in open tunings and it fits the bill. I see there have been a few other makers instruments with pin bridges showing up on different postings… I would be glad to get any feedback about differences and preferences… I know an instrument has to "sit in the mix" both in recording and on stage.

...one thing that comes to mind is in doing repair, I have had a few nice instruments in my hands, including a few Sobels and it stuck me that they have huge bodies but not as much mid/bottom as you would expect… which seems like a waste of size to me, my body is half or less the cubic volume but with significantly more mid/bottom. But obviously Sobels combination has it's own unique nature and people like them.

I'm starting this first Zouk based on this body and it strikes me that since my customer likes extra light strings, it will work quite nicely.

OK… I'm also happy to show off my work a bit I confess …more photos halfway down the page.

http://www.wesbrandtluthier.com/mandolins/

Name:	Octo.jpg 
Views:	535 
Size:	160.1 KB 
ID:	135718
    WesBrandtLuthier.com
    BrandtViols.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Brandt View Post
    Hey Folks,

This conversation is interesting to me… I have made a few octave mandolins and am now using the same body for a Zouk…. but I have been making these instruments with flat tops, pin bridges and scalloped braces and they really "bark" if I may say so myself.

It's really an instrument I'm into these days, when I can hold onto one but I am into improvising solo in open tunings and it fits the bill. I see there have been a few other makers instruments with pin bridges showing up on different postings… I would be glad to get any feedback about differences and preferences… I know an instrument has to "sit in the mix" both in recording and on stage.

...one thing that comes to mind is in doing repair, I have had a few nice instruments in my hands, including a few Sobels and it stuck me that they have huge bodies but not as much mid/bottom as you would expect… which seems like a waste of size to me, my body is half or less the cubic volume but with significantly more mid/bottom. But obviously Sobels combination has it's own unique nature and people like them.

I'm starting this first Zouk based on this body and it strikes me that since my customer likes extra light strings, it will work quite nicely.

OK… I'm also happy to show off my work a bit I confess …more photos halfway down the page.

http://www.wesbrandtluthier.com/mandolins/

Name:	Octo.jpg 
Views:	535 
Size:	160.1 KB 
ID:	135718
    Very lovely instrument Wes!

29. The following members say thank you to Mike Anderson for this post: