Thread: Mid-Missouri

I've been seduced by the understated elegance of the Mid-Missouri mandolin. #Yet, I'm in a quandary over which one to get.

M-1 Spurce top, Magohany back and sides
    # # *Sounds like a blues guitar

M-2 Spurce top, Maple back and sides
    # # *I've heard of this combo before somewhere...

M-3 Spurce top, Walnut back and sides
    # # *Walnut is lovely, and I've heard it's not too different than Maple in sound

M-4 Spurce top, Rosewood back and sides
    # # *Has anyone played this model? #How does Rosewood sound on a mandolin?

M-11 Mahogany top, Mahogany back and sides
    # # *That's a lot of Mahogany. #Mandolins Bros. lists this one as having a lovely tone.

If you've played any of these, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Jeremy #

Also, is there a better place to order them from than Folk of the Wood?

Personally, I like the M-11, but I am sucker for mahogany. I like the tone, the looks and even the smell of it. The M-4 is the loudest and I think the most "guitar-like" in sound. The founder of Mid-mo, Mike Dulak, told me the M-4 is his personal fave and that he is really particular about the rosewood he selects. I would see the M-1 as a low cost alternative and kind of a hybrid of the M-11 and M-4. I don't really have much of an opinion of the others.

Based on what I have heard, and my own dealing with them, FOTW is the last place I would order from. I see on your profile you are from Brooklyn. I would go to Mandolin Brothers on Staten Island.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

for a few hundred more dollars (like they grow on trees, eh?), I would also consider the understated elegance of the DAVIS FLATTOP. I think Scott T. had real nice comments on his recent acquisition. That said, I've never played either - just an observer (I do like the flatiron pancake though).

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

I bought my M-2 at Mandolin Brothers last May, and am very pleased with it. Good tone, plenty of volume. Much, much better than my cruddy Pac-Rim, which I bought before I found the Cafe. While I do plan on upgrading in a year or two (have been lusting over some Old Waves and a Collings MT), I can't imagine parting with the M-2. It feels good in the hands, and is fine for the rather eclectic music I play.
    Hondo

I perfer the M-2. Seems to have a brighter, tighter sound. And, I like to look of natural maple on the back and sides.

If price is an issue, you can't go wrong with the M-1

I tried several, and liked the M4 best myself. I don't think you'll get your answer from a survey, you'll have to find a way to try a couple for yourself.
    (This space available)

I have an M4 and am very happy with it. There was a dealer in this area, but sadly, they just didn't move well and he sold off his stock. The instrument plays really well.

I've got at M3, strung with Thomastik medium strings. The sound is incredible.
    I play badly enough not to be terribly good, and good enough not to be terribly bad.

Chicago - most lately but - home is in Northern Arkansas.

I've tried a few various models - don't own one but ... A few weeks ago I tried an M11 Mahogany back, sides and TOP and was amazed. I always thought the maple version (M2) was bright with a good tone. The particular M11 put me in the cheap seats - plus the service and care which the owner of the company has consistently supplied his customers is worth other companies immitating. If you're in New York, I definately would take the ferry over to Mandolin Brothers ...
    Mandola fever is permanent.

I have an Mid-Missouri (an M-1) and use it primarily for blues. When I purchased it from Mandolin Brothers I had no way to judge it against others (Mid-Mo models or other makes) as I had no mandolin experience. I have not been dissapointed with the sound of my Mid-Mo. In my view it is a quality mando and I don't think you can go very far wrong with one. I also notice that they have a pretty good resale value. So you won't lose everything even if you eventually decide to sell.
    Bart McNeil

Hey Dion, was it at Old Town School? I played an M11 there a few weeks ago, too, and thought it was outstanding.

I used to play a M0. Only complaint was I didn't have the wide neck. Don't overlook mahog if you're going for a non BG sound. I think it has a great sound to it and the M11 is certainly evident of that. I think the last one I would get would be the M2...no offense to the guy who owns it. Part of the joy of the oval is going for different sounds and tones. Still playing around with the idea of getting a MidMo mandolin, mandola, and octave...think that would be fun. All for less than the price of a Flatiron Festival F!
    Paul

I saw a MO available with a wide neck. Has anyone played one like that?