Thread: Jerusalem Ridge

Hey all!

I have been working up our tune for this month (still keep having brain skips on that last few measures of the last section!!!!). I came across a recording of this tune by John Hartford and Grisman on the "Retrograss" album that is in major instead of minor. It threw me for a loop the first I heard it (I mean, who heard of Grisman picking a MAJOR key over a minor one), but the version has kinda grown on me since. Does anyone know of any other recording of Jerusalem Ridge in Major? All the tab versions seem to be minor - I was just kinda curious if there was a precedent for doing it this way - or if this was a one-time anomaly...

Thanks all - look forward to hearing the recordings!
    My WWW Home | Prester John Duo | New American Mandolin Ensemble
    "So Much Music, So Little Time!"

Well, this tune insisted on trying to kick my butt (and my fingers). I have put my recording up at the Yahoo site - I just got tired of doing takes and decided to go with what I had. The file is a single mando recording, but tried to kinda accompany myself at the same time I was playing the melody. Enjoy, and let me know what you think......

Cheers!

david,

WOW!!!! i'm completely blown away! this is, by far, my favorite mandolin project recording to date! very impressive! i don't know what else to say . . .
    i love the combination of chords and single notes. this song stands alone! great job!

i'm gonna go listen (and learn) so more . . .

craig

David,

That is WAY cool. Nice.

rob

Very impressive, I love your recording. Keep up the great tunes.

David, that is nice.

I'm trying to get this one together. You've inspired me again to try and get it together.

I've tried this tune fast, slow, with double stops, without, with back-up, solo... Its a tough timing one for me. I hope I've pulled it off somewhat on the Project with my version, farmerf5

thar r mor people that made fools of tharselves tring to do Jerusalem Ridge, tahn nny othr tun in bluegrass. I wood like to add mesellf to that group! Dan
    Play em like you know em!

Quote Originally Posted by (plinker8 @ April 17 2005, 19:48)
    I've tried this tune fast, slow, with double stops, without, with back-up, solo... #Its a tough timing one for me. #I hope I've pulled it off somewhat on the Project with my version, farmerf5
    I second the timing issue - I know folk music and musicians are famous for adding beats here and there, but something in this tune seems determined to keep the player off kilter....

Nice work on your recording Dan! I realized after I posted and went back to my recording that I left out the whole second melody - nice to hear your version fully intact!

Now - lets get some other recordings up!

Nice job David. Another hard part for me about playing Jerusalem is figuring out how many parts there are, is each part repeated...etc.. There are so many versions. Who did the third version in the Project? I started this project putting back-up into the recordings, but I just don't have the time. The barebones versions have forced me to play a little cleaner, work on my timing... No back-up has exagerated all those flaws in the recordings, but hopefully will continue to force me to get better. A great reason to participate! Let's hear some more!

Hint, Hint to other members! Dan

I did the third version. #

The main reason for all of the background stuff is... It does a nice job of covering all of the flubbed notes and timing issues!!!!

Actually the background stuff comes pretty fast and easily.

Personally, I like the barebones self accompaning versions the best. #My mando playing just isn't there yet. #I have been studying Dan and David's versions. #So maybe in a few months I can pull something together.

I'm pretty new to bluegrass and it seems there are SO MANY different versions of every BG song out there, I'm just trying to keep the rhythm and melody somewhat true to the versions I have heard. #But basically playing it my own way.

Mark! You're giving Dave his adequate due, and me, WAY too much credit. I sure like your inventiveness on you back-ups and your leads. Everytime I submit something, I wish I could play it as good as my peers. I certainly enjoy both yours and David's versions more than anything I can produce!

Hunt and Pick, Dan

David,
    I agree with Craig 100% It's my favorite recording too. And that's on a single take?!? No multi-track?
    Congratulations and I hope to see that recording on a CD somewhere! (It's already on my playlist)
    Josh

Mark - Nice work! Your version ends up with a slight (and this is not a criticism!) "Surf-music" edge to it which is fun! It reminds me of the band "The Red Elvises" - a really great surf-rock band from Russia (check them out if you get a chance.....)

Joshro - Yes, it is a "single take" recording - no edits no overdubs... HOWEVER, that doesnt reflect the hour and a half of takes that I trashed to get to this one... I think honestly I just reached a point where I couldnt keep going, and just kept the one I had finished....

Lets keep the recordings coming! I know you are all out there......

Great job on all the recordings thus far. I finally got around to putting mine together. David, I apologize for stealing your version. I really liked it and used it as an ear training exercise as I put some of your stuff together in mine. I took the intro off a version in the mp3 section here on the board.

I agree that the 4/4 to 6/4 to 4/4 timing is a bit tricky. I didn't use a metronome this time around so my timing is a bit off. Also, I'm having problems with some weird vibrations on my open D-string so beware of annoying drones throughout my version.

Dustin

dustin,

love it! very similar to david's version. i really like the intro, too! nice bluesy notes through into it. would like to here some more of those in the song. what version are you guys using (which TEF file)?

craig

Thanks Craig. I didn't use any tab files for this one. I did this one by ear after listening to David's version and a couple that I have on CD. Dustin

dasspunk,

great rhythm and nice improvising. #good use of doublestops to enrich this song. #i think we're playing a similar version in that you're playin' high up the neck. #it's tough to make clean. #you do a much better job than i do, and at a pretty good tempo.

thanks for the upload!

craig

Thanks Craig... I haven't posted for a while but I've been keeping up with the group. As always, thanks for all your work.

Great versions, everyone! Nice to hear some slow ones too, then maybe I can dare to post an own recording, haha. Honestly I've never ever even tried to play this tune, though I've always wanted to learn it.
    It's great to see you, dasspunk, it's been a long time, seems like someone on this board didn't want me to tell you that yesterday...

Thanks Tjej, it's nice to be seen...

Could someone be so kind as to tell me where to go to hear these recorded pieces?
    j pickens

ashemando, go back up and look at craig's signature line and click on that link. Then scroll down to the bottom. He has them labeled as to what the song of the month is.

He has them through last year. There are some great recordings on there.

wow!!! iVE NOT BEEN TO THIS SECTION OF THE CAFE BEFORE THIS MORNING FANTASTIC. EVERYONE SOUNDS GREAT, LOVE THE LEATHER BRITCHES VERSION PLAYED BY COLLINGS 470 BEAUTIFUL!!ALL THE GREATPLAYERS HERE WILL INSPIRE ME AGAIN,I NEEDED THIS BOOST. THANKS TO ALL MARKELBERRY
    2013 Northfield Big Mon #223
    2004 Gibson A9
    1981 #1132 Flatiron 1N
    2013 Gibson F9

Dreaming of a Pomeroy F5 Blonde w Engelmann ?

markelberry,

welcome! yes, there are some great recordings. hope to hear something from you, too.

craig