Thread: Lloyd Loar for sale cheap!

Default Lloyd Loar for sale cheap!

Called the # in the ad, it was long gone. From 1984 issue of Bluegrass Unlimited.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LloydLoar4Sale 001.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	133284  
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Default Re: Lloyd Loar for sale cheap!

That's not cheap,that's pretty much the going price in the early '80s. I came close to buying one in 1982 and it was $10,000.

Do you think he's still got for sale at that price? I might be interested.

Darnit, I see you already called. I always miss out on the good deals
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Good point, TD, before money became worthless, $8K was some pretty big coin. 59 Les Pauls were $3-5K in the early 80's.

My father subscribed to all the old car newsletters in the 70's. I remember seeing a 1957 Rolls Royce for $5K, a really nice clean collector car, and asking, "Dad, why don't we buy a Rolls Royce?" (I'm sure he would have considered it too "showy" for middle class people)

As Archie Bunker would say, "Those Were The Days"......

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

That $8000 in 1984 adjusted for inflation is $18,543.88 in today's dollars. The price back then was more money than I earned annually as a US Navy Petty Officer 3rd, drawing sea pay and flight deck pay. Latest Loar posted by Carters was nearly 10 times the coin at $175,000. Translating that back to 1984, the relative cost would have been nearly $75,500.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

I one time was in an antique store and was looking thru Bluegrass Unlimited in the ads and found a 1923 F-4 advertised ,I called the # and bought it for the advertised price of $3500 which the ad was about 6 yrs old ,so I did well on it
    Danny
    Danny Clark

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Does it come with case, strap, instruction book and a pick?
    Living’ in the Mitten

$8000 cheap compared to $175,000.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Greenspoon View Post
    That $8000 in 1984 adjusted for inflation is $18,543.88 in today's dollars.
    Still a bargain in today's market, in which might expect to see one for sale at ten times that - and think it was a pretty good deal. Heck. I think I've got about that much stuffed inside my mattress ...
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Clark View Post
    I one time was in an antique store and was looking thru Bluegrass Unlimited in the ads and found a 1923 F-4 advertised ,I called the # and bought it for the advertised price of $3500 which the ad was about 6 yrs old ,so I did well on it
    Danny
    That was back before people changed their phone numbers every year......I think Mom still has the same one since 1956....

Quote Originally Posted by jim simpson View Post
    Would have been a fine investment, OR if you bought two '59 Les Pauls with the $8000, you would have $400,000+ (at least that's what people ask...)

OR if you had invested the $8000 in Microsoft, you would be a billionaire.....

Blog Entries

Grandpa: See that house up there. In 1934 I could have bought that house for $100.00

Grandson: Why didn't you?

Grandpa: I didn't have $100.00.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

My friend, a guitar player, likes to tell the story of seeing three 50's maple neck Fender Stratocasters like Eric Clapton played in a local downtown pawn shop for $150 each, in the late 60's.....I replied, "you bought 'em, right?" He said, "no, I didn't have the money, plus $150 was a lot of money for a used guitar back then!"

Amazing, three in one pawn shop, he said they were there for years hanging on the wall.....

In 1971 when my friend paid $2500 for his '23 Loar I was aghast at the price! Never heard of anyone paying that much for a musical instrument unless it was a Steinway or maybe some fine 400 year old violin! Later there was one for $7500 then $10,000,then $15,000 and so it went.......My favorite was the story of a guy advertising a " Lloyd Lure --$150 " and a phone number. People called and some guy sounding like a complete idiot describes the shape and says "It says Lloyd Lure" and of course everyone says "Don't sell it! I'm sending a check right now!" The buyer receives his package and finds a very nice handmade fishing lure in the shape of a F5. I heard this story in about 1975.

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Good point, TD, before money became worthless, $8K was some pretty big coin...
    Yeah, it's become worthless and we're making less of it by comparison, brother!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Quote Originally Posted by DataNick View Post
    Yeah, it's become worthless and we're making less of it by comparison, brother!
    True dat. The tax bite was less back then as well. For every $1 my dad made, .90 was his. My portion of my wages is less that .50 on the $1

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard Dick View Post
    True dat. The tax bite was less back then as well. For every $1 my dad made, .90 was his. My portion of my wages is less that .50 on the $1
    Not true---My Dad was a locomotive engineer and his straight rate of pay was $15 an hour in 1973 which was also the year he retired. He worked tons of overtime but his straight time hours would probably have added up to something like 2000 hours or $30,000. the tax rate in 1973 for him (this does not include SSI /comp /medicare etc. state and local taxes which are separate from your Fed. tax rate) would have been filing married /joint income 39%. My Mom also worked and adding in the overtime they would have payed even a a higher rate than 39%.
    If you were paid $30,000 today your tax rate would be 15% --if your income today was $90,000 your tax rate would be 28% but if you reached the maximum tax rate --that is $379,000 or above in wages today your tax rate would be 35% --1% ers pay a lower rate today than my bluecollar father did in 1973! But in 1973 they would have paid 64%.

19. The following members say thank you to barney 59 for this post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Only two sure things in life - death and people grumbling about taxes.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

It seems the Carter years were some of my most successful, in retrospect. Maybe my overhead was lower back then, but money seemed to have more buying power. Probably both. I know I sure didn't spend $167 a month on cable back then......

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jim simpson View Post
    As Wake Frankfield noted "yeah I guess in those days everyone wanted them new ones they didn't know them older ones had better tone and thingsf"
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Do you think he's still got for sale at that price? I might be interested.

Darnit, I see you already called. I always miss out on the good deals
    Add from 1984 -- what are the chances that anyone answers if you dial that number?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    It seems the Carter years were some of my most successful, in retrospect. Maybe my overhead was lower back then, but money seemed to have more buying power. Probably both. I know I sure didn't spend $167 a month on cable back then......
    I assume you mean AP Carter.............
    Bernie
    ____