Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jasmine s34c guitar to bouzouki conversion

Default Re: Jasmine s34c guitar to bouzouki conversion

Quote Originally Posted by kkmm View Post
    This means you keep two holes on each side, and use individual tuner, not a set of 2 x 4. This is certainly easier than having to drill holes at exact distance.
    Question for OP: did you order individual tuners or set of 2 x 4 ?
    Should have made it clear, individual enclosed tuners. 9mm so i need tp widen each hole ny 1mm

Neat project... I came across a Veillette Avante Gryphon (12 string, 18.5" scale, tuned like guitar with unison courses, ~$1500) review yesterday and it got me to thinking that I might try something in that direction (without spending all that $$$). I just picked up my first mandolin and am simultaneously returning to playing guitar after a long layoff (or, rather, just playing very occasionally and casually for years). I only have so much brain power and am finding the scale patterns for mandolin a little tougher than expected. Maybe I could do my own conversion and tune it like a guitar...

It is a very good idea to use individual tuners. I will do the same for my next OM conversion.

I ave seen some just add two more tuners near the top of the head stock, but does not look pretty.

I ave seen some just add two more tuners near the top of the head stock, but does not look pretty.
    Im not doing that, im plugging the 2nd and 4th and drilling 4 new ones. I have the mini tuner size so space works out 30mm c/c. Plenty of space. I wss going to veneer the head but think I'll just put a stain or lacquer

Quote Originally Posted by garryireland View Post
    Im not doing that, im plugging the 2nd and 4th and drilling 4 new ones. I have the mini tuner size so space works out 30mm c/c. Plenty of space. I wss going to veneer the head but think I'll just put a stain or lacquer
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150519_203714.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	134423

Drilled the new holes, fitted the nut, sanded off the top coat of paint and brand name. Next job is plug those holes and string up. Im going with a standard zouk set. See how it goes

7. The following members say thank you to garryireland for this post:

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

nice work Garry
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Badgers View Post
    nice work Garry
    Thanks man. Its a bit
    rough n ready but im more interested in the sound than looks. My main reason to do it is to see if i want to get a luthier made one

Thanks man. Its a bit
    rough n ready but im more interested in the sound than looks. My main reason to do it is to see if i want to get a luthier made one
    Here we are

Name:	IMG_20150526_185843.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	134530

Name:	IMG_20150526_185849.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	134531

Name:	IMG_20150526_191538.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	126.6 KB 
ID:	134532

12. The following members say thank you to garryireland for this post:

Congratulations.
    It looks beautiful, I like the cut away allowing easy access to higher frets.
    Can you record and post some tunes ? I just did with my Oscar Smith.

Congratulations.
    It looks beautiful, I like the cut away allowing easy access to higher frets.
    Can you record and post some tunes ? I just did with my Oscar Smith.
    Will do. I have to make a new saddle and sort out the headstock veneer then I'll post more. Plays really well and intonation is great all the way to 12th fret.

Will do. I have to make a new saddle and sort out the headstock veneer then I'll post more. Plays really well and intonation is great all the way to 12th fret.
    Both a strings snapped. Any ideas on this? Im using. 040,.030,.020,.012 string

With your string gauges, the string tension calculator gives this:
    (click to see larger image)

Name:	OM_255_StrTension.PNG 
Views:	113 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	134575

The A string with 0.020 has very high tension, 30lbs compared to 20lbs for other strings !!!
    You may want to use 0.018 to get around 25lbs.
    I use the string calculator to figure the string gauges I have to use, it 's a very useful tool, easy to use. However, that's only the starting point, you need to swap out strings that are too tight, or too loose until you get good sound.

On my Jasmine S35 OM, I use 0.042, 0.032, 0.016, 0.012 as they are the A D B E of a guitar string set. But the 0.016 is too slack, 0.018 would be better. Other strings are fine.

With your string gauges, the string tension calculator gives this:
    (click to see larger image)

Name:	OM_255_StrTension.PNG 
Views:	113 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	134575

The A string with 0.020 has very high tension, 30lbs compared to 20lbs for other strings !!!
    You may want to use 0.018 to get around 25lbs.
    I use the string calculator to figure the string gauges I have to use, it 's a very useful tool, easy to use. However, that's only the starting point, you need to swap out strings that are too tight, or too loose until you get good sound.

On my Jasmine S35 OM, I use 0.042, 0.032, 0.016, 0.012 as they are the A D B E of a guitar string set. But the 0.016 is too slack, 0.018 would be better. Other strings are fine.
    Thats great thanks!