Thread: acoustic bass guitar action ?

Default acoustic bass guitar action ?

What would be a reasonably low action (at fret#12) for an acoustic bass guitar with 34" scale length ?
    I just bought one used, the neck has some relief and action at fret#12 is 4mm.
    If I straight out the neck by adjusting the truss rod, the action goes down to a tiny bit below 3.5mm and the E and A strings have some buzz. Is 3.5mm too low ?

Default Re: acoustic bass guitar action ?

My electric bass guitar has 3mm action at fret#12. Don't know if it means anything.

My experiance is that my acoustic bass guitar needs a bit higher action than electrics. 4mm sounds pretty good.

Hi Nevin,
    is it normal that the fretting sound is quite loud on acoustic bass? Or it is caused by my poor technique.
    I do not hear fretting sound on electric bass.

Loud fretting sound/string noise, low volume - welcome to the world of the acoustic bass. Then if you play hard you'll get fret buzz. Things improved greatly on mine by fitting nylon core thomastik strings. It gives a much more mellow upright bass sound but further robs some of the volume (but then there's a reason most of these guitars come with a pickup). You do have to adjust the truss rod after fitting them as they exert a lot less tension than metal strings. Only problem is they are ferociously expensive - I've bought guitars which cost less than a set of those strings!

Mine comes with a built in paasive pickup. So the tone and volume is not that great when plug in. I just spent the last hour to put in an active pickup with preamp. It sounds at least 3 time louder and much better tone.
    I will play it for a few months before thinking about putting on expensive string.

I use tapewound strings which cut down on the fret noise. Even flat-wound strings were an improvment on the round-wound ones it came with. Don't expect to get much volume from them without an active pickup system.

Searching eBay gives some tape wound string set that are quite reasonable in price, between 32$ to 37$ included. Thanks for the tip on "tape wound string". My bass guitar has an active pickup now so volume should not be an issue, except when not plug-in.
    Last edited by kkmm; Apr-19-2015 at 6:32pm.