Thread: So little help with another chord problem....lol

Default So little help with another chord problem....lol

So I'm limping my way through Wayfaring Stranger, I've known the melody for awhile now but I'm trying to spice up my game by adding in some rhythm chords, alternating between individual melody notes and strumming rhythm, that being said I'm fairly happy with everything except there is a high D note coinciding with the line " I'm going there to meet my father" it hits on father and it also happens to be them point in time when I want to strum a chord, the sheet music has it as a G chord there but I feel like that really takes away from the high D note, I've tried Tremolo there but it's kind of underwhelming at that point since I've been throwing in chords the whole time so I'm looking for a good chord to strum that allows that D on the second string to be the predominant note heard, that being said you all have been really helpful so far and you could just show me some tough love I suppose and make me figure it out on my own with the info ya'll have already imparted to me, thanks in advance!

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Default Re: So little help with another chord problem....lol

Are you playing it in Em?
    If so I'd use C chord over the word 'there' and G chord over the word 'father'. You could finger it 455x so that the D would still be the highest and most prominent note. Or tremolo the x95x doublestop.
    Just some ideas. (In fact, in the next line you could end up on the x96x doublestop for the B)
    Last edited by Phil Goodson; Apr-18-2015 at 3:14pm.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

I would probably use this G chord: 4-5-5-7

Blog Entries

Important to note that after a few bars, or an entire verse, the listener is hearing the expected notes in the key even if you skip them. So for this I might drop the B from the chord and use 0-0-5-x to emphasize the line, since you hear two Ds.

0-5-5-x doesn't do the same job, ditto 4-5-5-x, and 0-0-5-x is easy to make speak clearly.

I look for the melody and the bass line, and add the harmony notes as convenient. If I am singing, I can be less dependent on showing the melody but sometimes it likes help. Often I skip the 5th, e.g. 5-2-3-x, if I like the sound of the C on top but also want the bass C. Play that form and compare to 0-2-3-x, which is a legitimate C chord, but feels like a variant of G since G is in the bass.

You can leave out the root or bass, too, if it is expected and not as important as showing the harmony.

Your ear told you the D wanted emphasis; your ear will also tell you when a chord is a surprise and needs all the notes, or if it is expected and you can show other things like bass line or melody. Use chord charts as a starting point and customize your voicing. If you're just banging away accompanying the band by chopping you hardly need notes at all, just a thump---but if solo, and especially if solo instrumental, you are doing other jobs like bass, harmony, rhythm, and melody.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational