Thread: What about the Gibson F-12 listed on Mando Cafe?

Default What about the Gibson F-12 listed on Mando Cafe?

I am just starting to educate myself about some of the Gibson F-5 models that I might be able to afford and I saw this F-12 in the classifieds. It looks to be in beautiful shape but I have never heard of that model. Anyone know anything about it?

Default Re: What about the Gibson F-12 listed on Mando Cafe?

Scott, From my experience those F-12`s from that era weren`t much to be desired, the 70`s was a bad time for most Gibson mandolins...I am sure you can find something better for that same price....

Willie

Summer's coming, and that means campfires!! It'd make some nice kindling...

4. The following members say thank you to Ken Waltham for this post:

I'd send it right to Randy Wood for surgery.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

The F-12 was a slightly less appointed model than the F-5, introduced in the 30's and discontinued in the 70's, sort of a budget-line F model Gibson. As Willie and Ken pointed out, the 70's were not considered good years for Gibson, especially for the few mandolins they produced. They were heavily built as many manufacturers at the time were doing to help minimize warranty claims. The tone and volume definitely suffered as a result. iirc the seller of the mandolin in question says nothing about the sound of it. If I were in the market for an affordable Gibson F model, I would lean towards older (40's or 50's vintage) rather than these 70's models, then have it re-voiced by Randy Wood as Jim recommends above. That's exactly what I did with my '56 F-12 and he turned that mandolin into a little monster.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lenf12 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jim simpson View Post
    I'd send it right to Randy Wood for surgery.
    These ones do not even merit that treatment. As Len states, you need to back a bit in time, 50's preferably, and then send them to Randy Wood.

Perhaps charity work, lol?!
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Waltham View Post
    These ones do not even merit that treatment. As Len states, you need to back a bit in time, 50's preferably, and then send them to Randy Wood.
    I owned a mint condition 1972 F-12 about 15 years ago that was nearly identical to that one.

The Gibson sounded exactly the same as the new Morgan Monroe MMS-3 that I also happened to own at the time. That should tell you all you need to know about it.

But they are very pretty mandolins from a cosmetic point of view and they are built like a tank -- the top will never collapse on that one. The tone was OK just not much volume.

As a point of reference I bought the one I had from the Mandolin Brothers in 2002 for $2000 and sold it on eBay in 2006 for $2100.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullFront_rs.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	133127  
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Thanks everyone for the information. I have of course noticed that as the mandos get older the $$ get higher. Several of you mention Randy Wood, who is he?

He's a well-known, well-respected mandolin guy. Use the internet, it really does help.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    But they are very pretty mandolins from a cosmetic point of view and they are built like a tank -- the top will never collapse on that one.
    In addition to being pretty, it IS a Gibson. A huge selling point, IMHO.