Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Classifieds and Forum Topics...

Default Re: Classifieds and Forum Topics...

Yeah the tracking is frustrating and I wish the US would get out from under the grip of big business and let us decide on our own what we want and dont want instead of Wall Street!....ahhh, deep breaths.....

Recently I was looking for a new washer and dryer....afterwards anytime I visited any other site ads for washers and dryers would pop up, even after clearing cookies and such. I even started to get emails in my Yahoo account with subject lines of searches or emails I've sent....very frustrating.

Back to the OP post, I too have noticed that myself lately and agree with Jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Mando Mike View Post
    Well I may have opened a can of worms...
    I will be watching the classifieds for a "open can of worms" for sale.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jackgaryk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bigskygirl View Post
    Recently I was looking for a new washer and dryer....afterwards anytime I visited any other site ads for washers and dryers would pop up, even after clearing cookies and such. I even started to get emails in my Yahoo account with subject lines of searches or emails I've sent....very frustrating.
    I've been using NoScript and Ghostery with my browser for years, and never see a single unwanted ad of any sort.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bratsche For This Useful Post:

Someone posts a message about how great those pre-Gibson Flatirons are and folks get interested and see want to know what they sell for. Others realize there might be a demand for what they've got sitting under the bed not being played and the phenomenon occurs. There's no mystery to it, it's called human nature. If someone was to post a message regarding the same and then suddenly pop one into the classifieds the message would be shutdown, and yes that has happened. By the way, anybody that has posted on this thread can read it in ten years or so on archive.org's Wayback machine. If you're reading this ten years from now "How ya doin?"
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

7. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Now this is getting weird,
    I literally just had a phone call from a guy who found me online with a reference to "Homespun Music"! The only place that I have shared that is here, funny stuff.
    The rest of the story is he has found an old sign from the store and wanted some information about it. It gets even more strange, turns out he and I went to high school together! The call came out of the blue! Syncornicity indeed, the establishment of all things corny falling out of the sky and hitting all mandolin involved people at once!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

9. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Can you imagine how dangerous this type of stuff would be if the Mandolin Store started up with remarkeing ads? If I saw that Pava that I've been leering at a few times per week following me all over the web, I think my MAS would have kicked in by now.

Quote Originally Posted by bratsche View Post
    I've been using NoScript and Ghostery with my browser for years, and never see a single unwanted ad of any sort.

bratsche
    That's proof right there that targeted adverting works. You're only supposed to get the ads you want.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Oh, okay, I should have typed "never see a single ad".... sheesh. To me, all ads are unwanted unless I specifically go somewhere looking for them.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

13. The following members say thank you to bratsche for this post:

40bpm 

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
    There it is.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

I'm sure computer technology is involved. I was looking for something on Amazon and now it shows up on Facebook, ebay, etc.

Mandolin Dreams Unlimited MysTiK PiKn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigskygirl View Post
    Yeah the tracking is frustrating and I wish the US would get out from under the grip of big business and let us decide on our own what we want and dont want instead of Wall Street!....ahhh, deep breaths.....

Back to the OP post, I too have noticed that myself lately and agree with Jeff.
    Same in Canada. I watch the gov playing the game. Anyone, if shown once, can see again.

I'm also a fan of the "we use only 10% of the brain" But we are encouraged to use only 2%, If you do, that's normal; and now everything else is imagined - so it doesn't exist. No problem.

When the cat's out of the bag, it's hard to find the bag to put the cat back in the bag. It usually finds a new bag; and waits for the next episode. After a while, normal changes. It's called experience. If it's not been had, then that's just another normal. Normal is a statistical average; it doesn't exist; but worse it doesn't allow for personal experience.

I'm not sure here, who's opening, or how many, cans of worms. Certainly thanx to the OP. Excellent topic.
    This can be fun; but it can get messy depending on who's playing what role.

I'm out.
    have fun with it if you like - this is a fun area for me, some wild and crazy discussions - "Gen'l Mando Dys". WE are all in this together, to help each other, as required. Works for me. There is no lack. And like mandolin, if it isn't fun, then why are you doing it?
    Peace.
    Next wee chune.

= The Loar, LM700VS c.2013 = "The Brat"
    = G. Puglisi, "Roma" c.1907 = "Patentato" - rare archBack, canted top, oval
    = Harmony, Monterrey c.1969 = collapsed ply - parts, testing, training, firewood.

"The intellect is a boring load of crawp. Aye. Next wee chune".

Quote Originally Posted by MysTiK PiKn View Post
    When the cat's out of the bag, it's hard to find the bag to put the cat back in the bag. It usually finds a new bag...
    Mine finds an open case. But that tendency has been discussed in another, less Twilight Zoney thread.

18. The following members say thank you to FLATROCK HILL for this post:

Mike

You are onto something. I have made the same observation. When there is a positive experience about a particular brand and model mandolin, people are inclined to sell theirs on the classifieds hoping that the good press will help them sell a mandolin they had been thinking about selling for some time.
    Nic Gellie

Conspiracy theories ?- These computers and programs installed on them "phone home" constantly and have been doing it since the start. Of course we're being tracked- what do they do with the information? We at least know that they modify advertising based on our browser habits. Every stupid thing you ever put on Facebook is there forever--even when you "quit' which you can't completely do . Employers have been known to check out a perspective employees' page as part of their vetting process--That photo of you with your tattooed friends passing a doob that day at the beach....and they can check out those "friends" as well! You don't need a supercomputer to find out all kinds of stuff about just about anyone! Just think what you could do if you did have one! There isn't any privacy here and the ability to crunch and analyze data just gets better and better.

But what is going on here --it's possible that someone might have a thread started in order to sell a mandolin but more than likely someone starts a thread about a certain brand of mandolin and someone seeing the thread who just so happens to own one of those decides that this is a good moment to put it up for sale.

Threads about mandolins, mandolin-related advertisements, such-like stuff -- good.

Threads about the overarching digital conspiracy to control minds and regiment society, for the profit of soulless faceless evil -- not so good, and likely to feel the moderators' axe.

Jus' sayin'...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by bratsche View Post
    Oh, okay, I should have typed "never see a single ad".... sheesh. To me, all ads are unwanted unless I specifically go somewhere looking for them.

bratsche
    Then how do you know what you want? or need?
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

23. The following members say thank you to jaycat for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
    By thinking for myself. Sheesh.

Oddly enough, I'm working on 'The Sorcerer's Apprentice' music and images. You know this one? Where the brooms become alive and don't stop because the apprentice does not know the command to stop?
    Last edited by DougC; Apr-18-2015 at 10:37am. Reason: notice how many cats sit in mandolin cases?

Quote Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
    Please tell me that was a tongue-in-cheek question, and not serious. It's hard to tell sometimes when there is no emoticon used!

bratsche

Blog Entries

Well the relevant "conspiracy" here is that someone considering selling their Brand ABC mandolin, in order to develop some buzz starts a devotional thread about how much they love Brand ABC it and why.

And while that might not be my style, and I might be irritated by the disingenuousness and being manipulated into unknowingly participating in someone's marketing effort, I can't get too exercised about it. It is not the worst someone could do to me. Its a little sleazy, but it doesn't cross my line.

But to re-emphasize, I do not believe anyone is doing this, or that there is a real verifiable correlation between devotional threads and classified offerings. I read the devotional threads (one of my favorite kind of threads) with all the genuine fan boy enthusiasm I have, trusting everyone is being genuine as well. And I see no evidence that it is any other way.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Genuine fan enthusiasm. Me too. But we have seen (in my humble opinion) some self serving 'over promotion' of some Bentrups a while back. And that 'kicked up a lot of dust in this barn yard'.

Personally I love to learn about great mandolins. I love to look at the classifieds and to see photos of new mandolins being made. And to follow the careers of newer luthiers in the field. And players impressions about these mandolins. I think this is a large part of mandolin cafe's role in providing access to this information.

28. The following members say thank you to DougC for this post:

We just don't see enough genuine hype.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldSausage For This Useful Post:

Sausage, I wish my parents were still alive and living in Athens, I would make a side trip! You strike me as a very interesting personality! Not enough genuine hype indeed!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

32. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Constantly In Search Of.. Michael Bridges's Avatar
    Blog Entries

To call David an "Interesting Personality" is to damn with faint praise. One of the really good folks yo'll ever rn into.
    Music speaks to us all. And to each of us, she speaks with a different voice.

J Bovier A5 Tradition

34. The following members say thank you to Michael Bridges for this post:

There was a post a while back comparing the Brooklyn and Golden Gate bridges and shortly afterwards there were ads in the Classifieds for mandolin bridges and Golden Gate picks... Shameful...

Sort of the reverse happened to me. I have had a Poe F4 for sale at Carter's for about 8 months with no offers. A couple of weeks ago there was a Poe F5 in the Classifieds and everyone talked about what a bargain it was (priced about $50 over the F4). I got my first offer on the Poe F4 last week and it sold. Maybe a coincidence. Maybe not. I had not input into the thread, but maybe I benefited from the discussion.
    NoNickel

Duff F5 #196/15
    Plays the "Irv Pearman" Signature Set

All misspellings intentional. Even thsi one.