Thread: Rogue RM-100A A-Style Mandolin

Default Rogue RM-100A A-Style Mandolin

Last week I purchased a Rogue Mandolin. First I guess I should say this is the first time I have ever held a Mandolin. I own a 5 string Banjo which I can play well enough to amuse myself but not anyone else. I got on You Tube and tuned my 49.00 dollar Mandolin and honestly I was not impressed at the sound it made when I strummed the strings. So I told my wife I need to find some professionals to turn too. Well here I am. What advice can you give an old man of 61? Thank you and thanks for allowing me to join the Mandolin Cafe. Darrell

Default Re: Rogue RM-100A A-Style Mandolin

Hello, and welcome! Your new mandolin probably needs a set up. You can find a local luthier to do it for you, or you can do it yourself. Check out this thread:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...hlight=meldrum

Look at post #3 where Rob Meldrum gives his email. He gives out a free ebook for Café members on how to set up your mandolin.

Welcome to the café and your introduction to mandolin!

There are a few things that will make your Rogue more the instrument you hope it will be than what you probably are holding. I own a Rogue and it's a perfectly fine beginner mandolin with a few tweaks.

Tommcgtx suggested you check out Rob Meldrum's book -- that's a great first place to start. Your mandolin was shipped from a warehouse and was probably packed for optimal safety in transit. That means the strings are too high or too loose, the bridge is too high or not placed properly, the strings are also not optimal and the height of the stings above the fretboard is wrong.

Oddly enough, they're relatively easy fixes. That's where Rob's book comes in handy. Barring that, you can do a few things on your own. The first is to put the bridge in the right place and put on new strings. If the bridge has any packing material on it -- from tape holding it down or cushioning the feet to Styrofoam inserts -- take it away. The bridge is supposed to be seated on the top of the mandolin and is free-moving. It's held in place by the strings. the position of the bridge is usually somewhere around the middle of the f -holes but actually is determined by sound. You can do a web search for mandolin intonation instructions to see what needs to be done. it's not as complicated as it seems but it can be daunting the first time. I know that the nut on my Rogue was about twice as high as it should be (making the strings way too high to fret comfortably) and I had someone cut it down. this is a reason why it's nice to see if there's a luthier in the area to do the work for you. Most places with a brick-and-mortar music store have someone who does repairs for them -- they might be able to put you in touch with a luthier.

What kind of music do you like? You can play pretty much anything on the mandolin!
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

setup and a new set of strings will make a world of difference. rob's ebook is a must have. then comes the pick. I been playing for just over a year now and found it fun to try out different picks.

Its a start .. $50 installment on a life long Musical addiction.

I wouldnt sink too much into this beginner one , but do get it to not hurt your fingers to play ..

start an Upgrade Jar .. if you think about upgrading the one you have, changing the parts on it ,

Put the $ in the jar instead, and this save for something that will be better, though cost 20X more.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I just sent Darrell the ebook. Darrell, let us know how it works out for you!

Rob

Get your copy by emailing me at rob.meldrum@gmail.com. Put Mandolin Set Up in the subject line.

7. The following members say thank you to Rob Meldrum for this post:

I have been studying the ebook and I was amazed with the info. As soon as I get a chance I will be stripping down the Mandolin and setting it up properly. I had no idea other tuning a Mandolin that I needed do set up. I was so disappointed in the sound from my Mandolin. I'm excited with this ebook. I recommend everyone get your copy. Thank you very much Rob.

Mandolin Dreams Unlimited MysTiK PiKn's Avatar

Mine usually sounds bad if I am tuning it up for first time. When tuning - the key word is UP - never tune down. Right? right.
    I usually have to go through the tuning process 3 times before it all settles in. After that it's easier; but still a daily routine. Tuning accuracy is big cos that's what you will listen to.

If you get into setup, you will appreciate this info. During that process, there can be a lot of detuning, retuning - you get faster at it. But doing your own, if possible, will save some 60+ dollars. But we can't see what it needs. Rob's book is very thorough.

What was so awful about the sound? - I never heard that. Or was it the feel of it?

I usually recommend a chord book also.
    Also for tuning, if you search online, you can find a tuner app for that. Or a tuning fork, or pitch pipe. Or, an electronic tuner, aka a battery eater, your choice. Tuning is the best sound improvement, even if you need setup. Did I say tuning was important? Yes? cool. Setup will make playing easier; still gotta tune it tho.

= The Loar, LM700VS c.2013 = "The Brat"
    = G. Puglisi, "Roma" c.1907 = "Patentato" - rare archBack, canted top, oval
    = Harmony, Monterrey c.1969 = collapsed ply - parts, testing, training, firewood.

"The intellect is a boring load of crawp. Aye. Next wee chune".

lost in the woods below Lake Tahoe, California

Quote Originally Posted by MysTiK PiKn View Post
    Mine usually sounds bad if I am tuning it up for first time. When tuning - the key word is UP - never tune down. Right? right.
    Right.

I usually have to go through the tuning process 3 times before it all settles in. After that it's easier; but still a daily routine. Tuning accuracy is big cos that's what you will listen to.
    With new strings I always do a preliminary tuning, then pull each one to stretch it a bit more, then tune again, stretch again, and tune and tune. Wait a minute and tune up again. Repeat as needed... that day. And the next day. The strings might be about ready by then. :D

Also for tuning, if you search online, you can find a tuner app for that. Or a tuning fork, or pitch pipe.
    I mentioned in another thread that just yesterday two 'A440' tuning forks (from eBay) arrived, in ALMOST identical packages. One specified "4.5MM diameter" and my Snark says it's an A. The other, packed under a SLIGHTLY different font, was misspelled as "4.5MM diametet" and my Snark said it's Ab. Yes, a counterfeit tuning fork! Yow. Caveat emptor, eh?
    Mandos: Coleman & Soviet ovals; Kay & Rogue A5's; Harmonia F2 & mandola
    Ukuleles: 3 okay tenors; 3 cheap sopranos; Harmonia concert & baritone
    Banjos: Gretsch banjolin; Varsity banjolele; Orlando 5-string; fretless & fretted Cümbüs o'uds
    Acoustic guitars: Martin Backpacker; Ibanez Performance; Art et Lutherie; Academy dobro; Ovation 12-string
    Others: Maffick & First Act dulcimers; Mexican cuatro-menor; Puerto Rican cuatro; Martin tiple; electrics
    Wanted: charango; balalaika; bowlback mando

WABAC, Before the electronic tuner, i used an A440 tuning fork to get the A string on pitch,

then tuned the E strings to the E note on the A string

and the D string an octave down from the D note on the A string,

then likewise tuned the G string an octave down from the G note on The D string.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I had one of those as my first mando. Pay the few bucks for a pro set-up and new strings. Don't waste your time learning how to do it right now, then do it wrong, then break strings, then not liking the outcome and sound only to start again and be frustrated. You bought this to learn to play music and have fun. ...here me now, believe me later.
    Amateurs practice until they can play it right.
    Professionals practice until they can't play it wrong.

Collings MTO
    Epiphone Mandobird IV
    Yamaha Piano
    Roland AX-1

Quote Originally Posted by Londy View Post
    I had one of those as my first mando. Pay the few bucks for a pro set-up and new strings. Don't waste your time learning how to do it right now, then do it wrong, then break strings, then not liking the outcome and sound only to start again and be frustrated. You bought this to learn to play music and have fun. ...here me now, believe me later.
    My RM-100A arrived about ten hours ago. I removed it from its box, tuned and re-tuned it, and again. The factory setup seems good. Fit and finish are fine. Intonation and playability are fine. It's brighter and more resonant and agile than my old Kay A-type. I'm not unhappy.
    Last edited by k0k0peli; May-06-2015 at 6:59am.
    Banjos: Gretsch banjolin; Varsity banjolele; Orlando 5-string; fretless & fretted Cümbüs o'uds
    Acoustic guitars: Martin Backpacker; Ibanez Performance; Art et Lutherie; Academy dobro; Ovation 12-string
    Others: Maffick & First Act dulcimers; Mexican cuatro-menor; Puerto Rican cuatro; Martin tiple; electrics

Don't expect pleasing tone/playability from a $50 mandolin. There is a reason whey mandolins can be found at different price points. I'm not satisfied with my $2000 mandolin after spending a day at Carter's in Nashville playing mandos in the $6k - $10k range. Use your Rogue to figure out if you want to continue on the mandolin. If so, sell it and upgrade!

Hope that you are lucky with your Rogue. The quality is very inconsistent, some could sound good and some simply does not.
    I have bought two of these to practice mandolin setup (and sold them afterward, making even), they do not sound that good. But I tried one on display at local guitar center and was surprised that it sounds very good at this 50$ price.
    As long as it hold tunes and is set up properly so you can play easily, that's a good mandolin to begin with.
    If if does not hold tune , it will discourage practicing.
    The suggestion to start with a Kentucky KM-150 (~ 200$-240$) has been given in this forum zillions times and it still hold true.

Quote Originally Posted by Relio View Post
    There is a reason whey mandolins can be found at different price points. I'm not satisfied with my $2000 mandolin after spending a day at Carter's in Nashville playing mandos in the $6k - $10k range.
    I'm retired on a comfortable but fixed income. I'm reluctant to spend our annual food budget on a single mandolin, no matter how wonderful. Wife would murder me, y'know. Yikes.

17. The following members say thank you to k0k0peli for this post:

Back again. Rob Meldrum sent his wonderful ebook and I'm busily applying its wisdom to my RM-100A. It's also helping with my conversion of a fretted 12-string Cümbüş to a six-course cittern. I'll report on that project in another thread. Now, I mostly play unaccompanied, with lots of open strings, ringing, drones, etc. I find my RM-100A sounds sweet in Irish tuning (GDAD). For a cheap mando, it sings nicely.

I was pleasantly surprised to find my Rogue sitting in its shipper box when I got home from work today. It wasn't supposed to come until Friday! After a few hours of yard work I messed around a bit with it. The finish is nearly flawless. One blemish where the neck meets the top but its easily overlooked.

I have a strap and some D'Addario strings on the way. I'll intonate and set it up once those arrive. I already received Rob's ebook and have read through it so am feeling up to the task. Thanks Rob!

I've never held a stringed instrument until today! I'm excited to get started learning.

I seen some really great mandolin players make some very good music come from cheap mandolins. So the ability to play has a lot to do with music. Get it setup so it will play good and get to learning songs, tunes. Just have fun with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    I seen some really great mandolin players make some very good music come from cheap mandolins. So the ability to play has a lot to do with music. Get it setup so it will play good and get to learning songs, tunes. Just have fun with it.
    As I've mentioned elsewhere: The camera and lens do not make the photo; the photographer does. The paint, canvas and brushes do not make the picture; the artist does. The instrument does not make the music; the player does. Nice tools are nice. Beautiful tools are beautiful. Tools remain mere tools, best exploited by those who know how to use them.

I recall J.J. Cale's fifty buck guitar with the back knocked out; served him well. I also recall the afternoon I spent with Doc Watson in the Claremont CA Folk Music Center (he was playing the FMC's associated coffee club, the Golden Ring, that night). Doc tuned every autoharp in the shop by ear (of course) and played every instrument (except maybe the koto) while softly telling stories. And he made every instrument sing, even (or especially) the cheap ones. What he could do with a twenty-buck dulcimer!

I'm leaning to play on one of these bad boys right now, had it for a few years. From what I understand it's a fine instrument to start out on, but it needs a lot of work. I took mine to a Violin maker and he filed down the bridge to get the strings lower and more even, not exactly a "pro" setup, but it made the instrument a ton more playable. The strings are nice and even, and keep their notes all the way down the frets. The neck has a few problems, but nothing I can't learn on.

And get yourself a set of Martin's to put on that axe. The strings that Rogue ships with their instrument are absolute garbage.