Thread: Picking... how much bouncing?

Default Picking... how much bouncing?

First, I'm a real beginner, only maybe 4 months of practicing in scant spare time when I'm not at work, doing husband stuff or doing dad stuff.

I seem to only be able to pick confidently when I am remembering to "bounce" my right hand a bit. (I have changed my picking from resting the base of the palm on the bridge, to mostly free hand, brushing the strings.)

Here's a really badly lit video of some picking. See what I mean? This looking OK? Any red flags?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enUtIo8swvk

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Default Re: Picking... how much bouncing?

No red flags to my eye. Good pick grip. Mostly wrist movement. All good.
    I'm thinking that the feeling of "bounce" will automatically smooth out over a little more time. Later you'll probable read about 'rest strokes' and how they fit in. But good for now as far as I can see.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Dan your playing is very good. I didn't notice any bouncing but maybe I was listening and watching with my violin eyes and ears instead of mandolin. ;-)

4. The following members say thank you to cgvm for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Philphool View Post
    No red flags to my eye. Good pick grip. Mostly wrist movement. All good.
    I'm thinking that the feeling of "bounce" will automatically smooth out over a little more time.
    Thanks! Good to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Philphool View Post
    Later you'll probable read about 'rest strokes' and how they fit in. But good for now as far as I can see.
    Yeah, I wondered about this... I heard Thile mention that a common beginner mistake is to not play through both strings and I can tell a lot of the time I'm not, particularly when playing a real tune like this and not just running scales. I wonder if I should take the time now and make sure I go through both strings even when picking fast-ish? Wouldn't that be easier to adjust now, maybe?

My practice routine right now is learning a new song (currently learning Billy in the Lowground), doing some pinky exercises, running some scales (G, A) and trying to get 3 chord chop/regular chords down.