Thread: Kalamazoo

Default Kalamazoo

This is my 1941 Kalamazoo Mandolin. I traded a Barr banjo for it si it't kinda hard to determine what I spent on it. I think an all original '41 in decent condition would fetch $800 - $1,000. The new chrome Grover tuning machines were already there when it came to me. The tailpiece cover was missing and this shell type cover was as close as I could come.
    The biggest change, I think, is that from a worn out ebony nut to a bone. This changed the warm, woody tones I liked so much to a brighter one. The new strings added to this change so perhaps as these Elixer Phosphor Bronze strings wear, some of the old instrument tone will return.
    Anyway, this updated '41 mando plays and sounds good, might be valued less than a more original one. Still, it's top is hand carved, one arched piece spruce and the back one piece hand carved arch maple. The sides and neck are maple, the fingerboard and bridge are rosewood; so I think it compares well with a medium priced newer mando..I've had it only 8 months, but I've hardly picked up my guitar during this period.

~Ron
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	194.5 KB 
ID:	132447  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rolow22 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Kalamazoo

Nice looking mandolin. Tonal changes attributed changing from ebony to a bone nut would only apply to open strings, as fretting the string takes the nut out of the equation.If you play alot of chords with only one or two strings fretted then it could be a factor. Less so for chop chords or melody playing. Different strings will have a much greater impact. Enjoy the heck out of it!

Scott

4. The following members say thank you to Grommet for this post:

[QUOTE=Grommet;Tonal changes attributed changing from ebony to a bone nut would only apply to open strings, as fretting the string takes the nut out of the equation.Scott[/QUOTE]

Excellent point Scott. Being a beginner, I do play a lot of first position chords, but I'm also playing around with Old Time Fiddle Tune melodies. We'll see how much it changes as the strings age. I sure do enjoy playing it though. Thanks for the feedback.
    Last edited by Rolow22; Apr-01-2015 at 6:09pm.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Nice KZoo, Rolow. I am a big fan of the second-line Gibson instruments.

Calling Mike E... 1941 K21 tops carved or pressed like all (most?) of the rest of them?

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Here is a '42 K12 I recently purchased from a Cafe member:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kalamazoo.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	132482

Unfortunately there is a slight separation of the back from the body around the heel of the neck. I am not sure if it's affecting the sound or not.

It also came with this funky looking bridge (which I am replacing with a Cumberland Acoustics):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bridge.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	132483Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bridge2.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	132484

I was told that these were more or less standard with the Kalamazoos?

Rolow, if possible, would you be able to post a sound sample? That would be very helpful to me.

Thanks! jc.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

Quote Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
    =I was told that these were more or less standard with the Kalamazoos?
    Yup, and all it takes is a few passes with a flat file to compensate that bridge and keep using it. How can you argue against old Brazilian rosewood and the ultra-stable long-foot bridge??

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Wildwood View Post
    Yup, and all it takes is a few passes with a flat file to compensate that bridge and keep using it. How can you argue against old Brazilian rosewood and the ultra-stable long-foot bridge??
    You might want them to actually fit to the top, though.....

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

As far as I know all the Kalamazoo arched models had pressed tops and backs. There are exceptions to almost everything in the Gibson second line world but I'm pretty sure it's pressed. There were very few of the second line models that were carved but I think you'll find that was a for a specific retailer that spec'd it. Kalamazoo's were a Gibson owned brand unlike the Recording Kings, etc. I'm sure Paul will jump in the a catalog page if I'm wrong about this.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

11. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Thanks for that, Mike. I should have mentioned that the source that claimed the back and front were carved is not a very reliable one. I think it makes more sense that an instrument of this calibre would use the faster, cheaper pressing method. I do feel sure the top and sides are solid spruce and maple and the point I was trying to makie, and I know more about guitars than mandolins, is that lower end instruments these days would use laminated rather than solid wood, even for the top.

Jaycat, I'm working on that sound sample for you.

-Ron

I'm sure it's solid woods. The Gibson second lines were really decent little instruments. No truss rod, that was reserved for the Gibson branded instruments. Many times these looked like they were put together with parts from older Gibson models. The Kalamazoo KM-11 and KM-21 were great mandolins. The best neck I ever played was on my KM-11.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

To jaycat,

Sorry it took me so long to send you a sound sample from my '41 Kazoo. I hope this will be helpful, but remember, when I record, it is inevitable that I make certain sound decisions, eg., if I decide not to alter the EQ, I am deciding to accept the default EQ. Also, it matters what you are listening with, eg, ear buds, or big speakers with a lot of bass turned on. I suggest that a decent set of headpones will probably get you closest to what I intended in recording, and that is, at least, close as I can get to what this mando sounds like to my ears on my equipment ,when I play. Good luck.

Very nice pics of your '42. I have had problems orienting and sizing my pics for upload. Can you point me to some direction on photo uploading?

Thanks everyone for this excellent knowledge base
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	194.5 KB 
ID:	132773  
    Attached Files Attached Files