Thread: Kentucky km100 woes

Default Kentucky km100 woes

My beloved Kentucky km100 is woefully ill. The top seems to be developing some separation from the sides in two places. I expect it is due to a combination of age, variable humidity, and possibly too heavy of strings. Regardless of cause, I'd like to arrest if not reverse the damage. The damage is slight, but is there.

I understand that this isnt a collector's item, and my funds at this time are not unlimited. Is this an expensive repair? Or difficult for an inexperienced amateur to attempt? My total knowledge is limited to building two dulcimers and reading (twice) Siminoff's book.

This one has huge sentimental value. I am the original owner and I'd like to keep her going a few more years. I'm even entertaining thoughts of asking someone on the board if they'd be willing to do it. I'm not sure how gifted my local is anymore.

Default Re: Kentucky km100 woes

KM100 ? I just bought a KM-150 listed on CL as KM-100. I have asked members on this forum and no one has any info about KM100.
    Could you post some photos of your km-100 mandolin ? including the separation so we can see it clearly. Only then, the experts could jump in and help effectively.
    If you can give more details about your KM-100, that would be very informative.

I take that back about "no info on KM-100". This is a Kentucky pancake, I own one and the tag say KMI00S (could be read as KM 100S). Is yours a pancake mandolin ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150329_205301.jpg 
Views:	349 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	132375

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150329_205348.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	132374

Yep. Missing a file but hopefully you can see the separation

There are s
    several smaller ones going around the tail to the opposite side. Tjis is the big one

Look like the top sound board shrinks (due to dryness). Your mandolin is a pancake if I am not mistaken.
    I took me a while to realize the second photo is showing part of a mandolin
    More and better photos will draw help from experts in this forum.

Someone's been trying to sell one of these for $680 on eBay for a while ... with a handcrafted case.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KENTUCKY-MAN...-/171124002985

F-style Apostate

Your pictures are not the best, but from what I can see, that's a separation of the bindings rather than a separation of the sides from the plate. Some might argue, but if it is binding separation, it's not structural, but more cosmetic, and won't cause any real problems with the instrument either. Should be pretty easy to fix.

If you want to get advice that's really spot-on, please post detailed, close up and in focus pictures, or take it to a local luthier for evaluation.

Sorry about the photos, tried to take them with my tablet. I'll get som better photos tonite.

Would too heavy of a gauge of strings accelerate or increase this kind of problem?

Ron, you have a great place right there in Fredericksburg called Pickers Supply, take it to them and get an estimate and maybe some advice on how to fix it yourself, ask for Merle Johnson and tell him Willie Poole sent you, he will treat you right, I`m sure....

Someone's been trying to sell one of these for $680 on eBay for a while
    I saw that eBay listing and bought one for around 100$ with original hard case. Local CL also listed one, in excellent condition, for 125$ but it was a long drive for me. This listing must have been there for more than a year.
    Is the seller a dreamer ?

He might have better luck if he ditched the poorly made case.
    Richard Hutchings

Should not be much to fix this for a luthier.

I used to have one of these back in the 80s. That one on ebay is a cruel joke. Kentucky's serial numbers used to be the same as their MSRP. So, back then a KM-1000 was suggested to sell for $1000. Mine developed a dip in the neck and was playable only up to about the B position (4th). I also called mine the boat paddle mandolin. Some boat paddles cost more than that mandolin. Sometimes I wish I'd kept it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Cox View Post
    Would too heavy of a gauge of strings accelerate or increase this kind of problem?
    If it is just a problem with the binding, and not structural, which may be the case, then the gauge of the strings probably has nothing to do with it. But I will let others explain better.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

The one on ebay started for almost a grand. I paid $295 almost 25 years ago with csse, book and two lessons. She's worth more to me fot sentimental reasons.

I actually contacted that seller and politely asked if they thought that might be a bit much to ask for that instrument. They assured me that mandolins of such high quality sold for that and more on ebay.

I didn't know how to respond to that do I didn't.

Mandolin Dreams Unlimited MysTiK PiKn's Avatar

Pancake.?? You could try glue it with maple syrup.

You could also try humidify it, see if it moves back in. Then glue it.

A clear sideshot w camera might help diagnose. maybe 2 or 3, without all the busy clutter. I thought I was looking at pron on the first pix.

= The Loar, LM700VS c.2013 = "The Brat"
    = G. Puglisi, "Roma" c.1907 = "Patentato" - rare archBack, canted top, oval
    = Harmony, Monterrey c.1969 = collapsed ply - parts, testing, training, firewood.

"The intellect is a boring load of crawp. Aye. Next wee chune".

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Cox View Post
    The one on ebay started for almost a grand. I paid $295 almost 25 years ago with csse, book and two lessons. She's worth more to me fot sentimental reasons. I actually contacted that seller and politely asked if they thought that might be a bit much to ask for that instrument. They assured me that mandolins of such high quality sold for that and more on ebay.
    Don't forget the hand-made case lined with orange shag carpet samples and hand-stapled car seat vinyl!

Didnt mean to bail on posting pictures b ut my work load has gotten me frazzled and setting up for the shot would mean downtime in the studio. I went to pickers supply and there tech barely looked at it and said just be careful with it.

Willie: I think Merle has his own place now and wasnt there this weekend due to a move. He'll be back in a week or so.

So i treated myself to a mandola. It's a Gold Tone and I got a fantastic price, as well as being really fun to play. I dont know enough about fifths to figure if I'm in tune with the next guy, but what I usually do on my mandolin sounds pretty cool on mandola.

Excellent, the true cafe member's solution, if in doubt buy another one