Thread: Thoughts on borrowing a mandolin for a recording session....

Default Thoughts on borrowing a mandolin for a recording session....

Because I have one of those $80 made in China jobbers that is absolutely awful, and can't afford to purchase a mandolin.

So, provided I find a fellow mandolin player who would be willing to loan me a mandolin for a few weeks, what are your thoughts on this? Do people even do that?

Default Re: Thoughts on borrowing a mandolin for a recording session....

It might help if we knew what part of the country you were located in...I would loan you one but you would have to leave some sure fire proof of where you live ...just in case...

Sure people borrow each other's mandolins the whole time.

I must admit I am curious about the $80 mandolin and recording session backstory.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldSausage For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I lend my mandolins to my duet partner all the time. Right now her mandolin is in the shop and she has one of mine. Oh, and she is borrowing my fiddle bow as well.

But we have played music together for a whole lot of years so there are no trust issues. None.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Some recording studios keep instruments on hand and available to their customers. I have a bud who owns such a studio and he has a Kentucky 500 series (550?) for his clients use while recording there. Might be worth a call around your town to see anyway.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

In Fresno, CA. Where very few people seem to know what a mandolin is.

I just typed and deleted several disparaging comments about Fresnans in general. It's been a long week of seeing the cesspool of humanity this town is..... Anyway, enough sounding like I'm some pompous ....

I was gifted this Johnson branded cheap A-style F-hole mandolin as more or less a musical toy early in high school. Now about 13 years later I'm finally playing mandolin with serious intentions. One of the 3 bands I'm in is preparing to cut a debut album of originals.

This current mandolin holds tuning quite well, but its intonation is awful, truly appalling, nothing is adjustable, frets are unevenly cut and buzz out, and its tone is very unpleasant. It's just a BAD instrument. I know I'll never get a decent sound onto the record if I don't find a different mandolin to play on.

No money to get a real mandolin though. I keep getting knocked out of gainful employment by ill-timed medical disasters.

@Astro, it is possible but knowing the local music scene I am doubting. Most studios here are fly-by-night shady operations run by the not-quite-competent. That and the local music scene is HEAVILY generic metal centric.

Here's a Fresnan who seemed to know what a mandolin is:

He's no longer with us, but he had plenty of friends, many of whom could probably identify a mandolin if pressed:

Exactly which part of the "cesspool of humanity" have you been swimming in?

Had a friend that rented a guitar from a music store once. Might try that. I let a young player use one of mine to record with. Too bad you're not here in the crossroads of America. Would gladly loan one out.

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Are you being paid for the session?

Registered User Atlanta Mando Mike's Avatar

I've borrowed instruments from friends and let friends borrow instruments. I think for most people, it has to be with people they have known for a long time and people they really trust. That tends to be a small list for most people.

See if the Local Music Shop will Rent one to you. I expect they will have a Credit Card slip to hold security deposit ,
    then charge the rental rate when you return it , or be OK if you call up and say "I Like it

so much and I want to Keep it " .. then they would bill the complete price as if you were Buying It in the 1st Place ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Mandolin Dreams Unlimited MysTiK PiKn's Avatar

If you borrow, you need a bit of time to get used to it. Rent seems easiest solution. Maybe rent-to-own, or work out a payment arrangement - which might be easy or not.

A friend was going to borrow my guitar for one song. But it was short notice, changed his mind. And it might have made the other tracks sound comparably bad or simply different.

Best would be a friend who trusts you - don't betray the trust. It's a big responsibility.

= The Loar, LM700VS c.2013 = "The Brat"
    = G. Puglisi, "Roma" c.1907 = "Patentato" - rare archBack, canted top, oval
    = Harmony, Monterrey c.1969 = collapsed ply - parts, testing, training, firewood.

"The intellect is a boring load of crawp. Aye. Next wee chune".

Blog Entries

Post a wanted ad. You may be surprised.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +