Thread: Looking to date Silvertone mandolin

Default Looking to date Silvertone mandolin

Serial number L 6277, which makes me think it's a Kay instrument. Original owner thinks he purchased it from Sears in about 1960. Thoughts as to how to date the manufacture?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mando.jpg 
Views:	748 
Size:	117.2 KB 
ID:	132336

Default Re: Looking to date Silvertone mandolin

I think your instincts are pretty close, but, on a date, never ask her age until after the wine.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

That's what I figured. I'm guessing rum or vodka won't generate the same results----but will be cheaper. I just interacted with the original owner (my uncle) who thinks he bought it around 1960. He'd bought it a few years after seeing the Louvin Brothers in 1955. They broke up in '63, but he'd had it before then, so we're thinking '60ish. I know this instrument has no real collectors' value, so I'm not going to spend a bunch of money on vintage tuner replacement, but I want to make it look nice---my wife uses it (and some other vintage instruments I have) in home decor.

Mandolin Dreams Unlimited MysTiK PiKn's Avatar

My first guitar was a Silvertone archtop. It was a Christmas present - I was amazed.
    It played really well - good for learning on. But the sound seemed fairly quiet compared to flat tops. Of course, in those days I knew nothing about driving an archie.

That was circa 1963-1964. Cost about $35. I sold it to a friend for 30. Wish I still had it.

This mandolin has exactly the same finish, same style of pickguard, same screws in pickguard, same fingerboard, adj. bridge, and I think same tuners, very similar, pix is fuzzy in that area. It'a definitely an all-original SilverTone. early to mid 60's, possibly older. Definitely made by the same maker. And I have never seen a mandolin from ST before. rare.??
    Mine had only the word SilverTone on the head - no fancy grafx.
    Also mine had a typical basic "trapeze" style tailpiece - but your tailpiece is typical of mandolin, so that's original as well.

Thanx for the memories.

= The Loar, LM700VS c.2013 = "The Brat"
    = G. Puglisi, "Roma" c.1907 = "Patentato" - rare archBack, canted top, oval
    = Harmony, Monterrey c.1969 = collapsed ply - parts, testing, training, firewood.

"The intellect is a boring load of crawp. Aye. Next wee chune".

Mandolin Dreams Unlimited MysTiK PiKn's Avatar

Is there a label inside??
    Is the neck separating from the body?
    Last edited by MysTiK PiKn; Mar-29-2015 at 10:17pm. Reason: ??

= The Loar, LM700VS c.2013 = "The Brat"
    = G. Puglisi, "Roma" c.1907 = "Patentato" - rare archBack, canted top, oval
    = Harmony, Monterrey c.1969 = collapsed ply - parts, testing, training, firewood.

"The intellect is a boring load of crawp. Aye. Next wee chune".