Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Taran "Springwell" mandolin by luthier Rory Dowling

Default Re: Taran "Springwell" mandolin by luthier Rory Dowling

Excellent. Nice to hear that EVERYTHING seems to have gone so well.
    I'm pleased that shipping and general dealing from Scotland have been so easy.

Congratulations Rory. I hope to come visit sometime.
    David A. Gordon

2. The following members say thank you to Dagger Gordon for this post:

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

My new Taran "Springwell" mandolin (#4) arrived today. Awesome instrument. Everything said above is absolutely true. Have hardly put it down all day. The strings are settling in nicely. Will post some pictures later this week. Many thinks to Rory for the high quality work he did, and continues to do, in the acoustic instrument world.

Just a few general comments from my experience so far:
    1. The shipping connections between Scotland and Midwest USA are quite fast. The instrument arrived in two days. Amazing.
    2. The first thing I noticed was that the instrument was well balanced, weight wise, so that it was easy to hold and fret. I ordered the strap button, but probably don't need it because the instrument sits nicely in my lap.
    3. The narrower and longer headstock is lovely AND it is lighter than both my Collings mandolin's headstock. It is very easy to keep upright even without a strap.
    4. The fit and finish are superb, simple, and very understated. I selected the lighter, Scottish sycamore for back and sides. I also had D'Addarrio EFW74 flat-wound strings put on. Very little string squeak and a very long sustain. I would imagine that Elixir or J74 would be just fine as well.
    5. Rory bound the top and back with a darker wood that is lovely. It accents the instrument without being too overpowering. I look forward to the sycamore ageing into a nice mellow color over time.
    6. The tuners are Waverly and very stable. It has remained in tune after only one tuning since I opened the box several hours ago.
    7. I have not tested the K&K pick-up yet, but I will test it later this month in church, using my LR Baggs pre-amp. Will report on that later. I expect that it will be fine.
    8. Very smooth business transaction from start to finish. The currency conversion charges that the banks add are ridiculous, but nothing can be done about that. The payment process was very quick.
    9. The black Hiscox case is very nice. I ordered it because of its stability. The case price was also lower than here in the USA. There is plenty of room in the case for the mandolin and other accessories.

For now, that about covers it. It is a real honor to own this instrument. More later.

Mike
    I collected mine from Rory in person a couple of weeks ago and can only echo what Mike has written. It is an excellent instrument in every way.

Mine is an Indian rosewood version with rosewood and single pinstripe bindings front and back and also round the soundhole. It also has the Waverleys and a K&K mandolin twin internally installed. The tone is superb and well balanced across the strings (I have changed the A course to .016 instead of .015 out of personal preference). I'm also usually a flatwound user but I like the sound of the PB's on the Springwell and will probably stick with those for the time being. I'll be mainly using mine for Irish/Scottish music and it complements the other mandolins I have very well. When I get an opportunity I'll post up some pictures and perhaps a sound file.

Many thanks for a great instrument Rory!

Richard

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shelagh Moore For This Useful Post:

Mine arrived in Texas yesterday and it seems that Mike and I got the exact same instrument right down to the tuners and pickup, only that I had Rory put on whatever strings he chose. Love it in every way and it is exactly the sound I told Rory I was after! Great clarity and clean sound, compared to a 20s Gibson oval for example. The treble notes really pop and it should do well in a noisy session. Impeccable workmanship. Makes a great pair with my 77 Sobell - similar looking in some aspects, very different sounding and both are outstanding. Well done Rory! And thanks to Kevin for turning me on to this fine builder!
    John Liestman -
    Eye new ewe wood lye kit!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to liestman For This Useful Post:

Hello all!

I received my Springwell in beautiful cocobolo and spruce here in Cork Ireland yesterday. Amazing!! Hers some pics

- - - Updated - - -

https://youtu.be/3gaRjRmSv2M
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	347.8 KB 
ID:	147373  

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timcasey55 For This Useful Post:

Great sound, especially at the lower end.

Day 2: Springwell #4

1. I noticed quite a difference in sound. It has matured significantly since yesterday. The strings, glue joints, etc. are likely starting to settle in and there is quite a noticeable change in sustain and depth of sound.,
    2. Hammer-ons and pull offs are a breeze and seem to almost happen automatically
    3. Getting finer by the hour, Rory !!
    Michael A. Harris
    the dulcILLINI
    Collings MF5 Mandolin
    Collings MT2 Mandola
    McSpadden Custom Mountain Dulcimer
    KLOS Carbon Fiber Travel Guitar
    "Home is the place we grow up wanting to leave and die trying to get back to." Nash

Being up at 30,000 feet in an aeroplane hold probably doesn't help either, and now gently acclimatising to the USA! It's a long way from the East Neuk of Fife! It's a wonderful mandolin, I really enjoyed playing it briefly last week!

What I find amazing is that we have now heard from 4 of the 5 owners of this batch of mandolins and we know who got the prototype. What an amazingly connected and small world we now live in!
    John Liestman -

The prototype is still with Rory, actually. It is an important development piece for him, and rightly it should remain in his possession, I feel.

14. The following members say thank you to kmmando for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by timcasey55 View Post
    Hello all!

I received my Springwell in beautiful cocobolo and spruce here in Cork Ireland yesterday. Amazing!! Hers some pics

- - - Updated - - -

https://youtu.be/3gaRjRmSv2M
    Great stuff Tim, lovely playing and lovely mandolin - sounds the business that does!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

16. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

Any more feedback from the new owners?

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

Enjoying my Springwell very much! I'll try and post up some photos and a sound clip soon... I think the tone of mine (Indian rosewood) might be subtly different to timcasey55's.

1, 2, 3, 4...

I am still loving my Scottish Sycamore and spruce Springwell. I think because of the woods, it is a bit toward my old Gibson oval compared to what a rosewood one would sound like (based on my rosewood Sobell) but it is more clear and open sounding than the Gibson for sure. It's wonderful and is now my main mandolin and is breaking in nicely!
    John Liestman -

Springwell mandolin update: This instrument is sounding better every day. I am glad I had the EFW74 Flatwound strings put on. Very crisp, clean sound with long sustain. I did change my pick to a lighter, more flexible V-Pick (0.9 mm) with these strings. Working on memorizing the tunes for O'Flaherty Irish Festival in Texas next month. I tested the internal pick-up and it works very well. I need to get more practice in to live up to this fine instrument !!
    Michael A. Harris
    the dulcILLINI
    Collings MF5 Mandolin
    Collings MT2 Mandola
    McSpadden Custom Mountain Dulcimer
    KLOS Carbon Fiber Travel Guitar
    "Home is the place we grow up wanting to leave and die trying to get back to." Nash