Thread: Experience with Monoprice Condenser Mics?

Default Experience with Monoprice Condenser Mics?

Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a condenser mic for my mandolin/voice while playing with my band (mostly acoustic: alt-country & old time).

At the moment I'm really leaning toward a Shure SM94, but one of my bandmates suggested a Monoprice, as they are cheaper. He's a percussionist, so doesn't have experience with strings. Anyone have experience with these? Are they cheaper for a reason?

Thanks!
    Collings MT-O Sunburst (2014)
    Kentucky KM630 (early 1990s Korean) w/ K&K Twin Internal
    Vega K-Style Mandolin Banjo (1917)
    Vega N-Style 17-Fret Tenor Banjo (1922)
    Deering Goodtime 2 5-String Banjo w/ Resonator

Blog Entries

Default Re: Experience with Monoprice Condenser Mics?

Never heard of them, much less seen one - however, looking at the website and specs..

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...specifications

Yes, they are cheap for a reason. These are re-branded, fairly low end 'generic' Chinese mics that are also widely available with other names printed on them. I would not consider them in the same league as an SM-94 or SM-137 for live use. Others (with good reputations) to consider include the AT PRO 37, or Shure SM-81. All of these are well made mics that last for years and perform really well.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

I don't have any experience with the Monoprice, but I would seriously consider one of these. I have been using one in two different bands for the past 8 or 9 years and it is outstanding for stage use. It might show it's deficiencies in the studio, but on stage we have had nearly flawless performance. Both bands use it for all vocals, rhythm guitar, and I use it for mandolin. Seldom have any feedback issues and get all kinds of compliments on the sound quality. Best of all, it's cheap enough to have a second as a backup. and, if you buy the 2-mic package, you can use the other mic for another instrument as one of my bands does. It has fantastic performance as well.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    I would not consider them in the same league as an SM-94 or SM-137 for live use. Others (with good reputations) to consider include the AT PRO 37, or Shure SM-81. All of these are well made mics that last for years and perform really well.
    Muchas gracias, almeristrings! This is really helpful and give me some great-looking options to think about

Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    I would seriously consider one of these. I have been using one in two different bands for the past 8 or 9 years and it is outstanding for stage use. It might show it's deficiencies in the studio, but on stage we have had nearly flawless performance. Both bands use it for all vocals, rhythm guitar, and I use it for mandolin. Seldom have any feedback issues and get all kinds of compliments on the sound quality. Best of all, it's cheap enough to have a second as a backup. and, if you buy the 2-mic package, you can use the other mic for another instrument as one of my bands does. It has fantastic performance as well.
    Hey, cheers, Larry! This looks like a great option. I've been reading that we'd need to do without monitors. Do you use those? If so, found any issues with them?

Thanks again!
    Last edited by Pick&Grin; Mar-22-2015 at 8:45pm.

We do not use monitors. Unless you are very skilled with PA equipment, you will most-likely get feedback. There is one place that we have played that always does use monitors with our mic. The Sellersville Theatre in Sellersville, PA manages to get awesome monitor sound with the MXL 990. I don't know how they do it but it always sounds great. I actually prefer no monitors and always have, so normally it works out great. If you position yourselves properly, you should be able to hear each other without the need for monitors. However, I have used much more expensive and, technically better, mics and actually get better sound with the MXL.
    Larry Hunsberger

Ibanez PF5

7. The following members say thank you to mandobassman for this post:

Cool, Larry. Thanks again!

I love Monoprice. I buy cables from them almost weekly. They seem to be expanding into just about everything. They even sell some guitar shaped objects.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

10. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Thanks, Mike. Good to know!

I have 2 MXL 990 mics. One I've had since 2004 , the other about 2 years. They do the job just fine for the one (or two) mic stage with no monitors.
    Jim Richmond

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

The MXL 990's have a secret as to why they might work "better" in a live scenario than many far more expensive Large Diaphragm condensers.

That's because they are not Large Diaphragm condensers. They are Small Diaphragm condensers in a casing that looks like a LD condenser...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	990.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	132106

Another thing that really helps in addition to getting rid of monitors is the acoustic damping of the stage area. A bit of carpet, some absorbent (or at least non reflective) backdrops, etc.

With specific regard to the 'Monoprice' microphones, some people on various recording gear forums seem to have done digging around and concluded they are most likely from the same factory building the MXL's with exactly the same internal components and layouts but with a different paint job. While all of these are very decent low priced microphones, offering great 'bang for buck' they are absolutely not built to the same standards as you will find on Shure, AKG, Neumann (!) or Beyer. That is like comparing a Rogue mandolin to a pro quality instrument. One area where they don't begin to compare is how well the capsules resist humidity. This is important in live mics, especially, and mics from established 'higher end' companies will be truly roadworthy in this regard where cheap mics will not be. While there are bargains to be had in some ways, in others, you do get what you pay for.
    Last edited by almeriastrings; Mar-23-2015 at 1:20am.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

15. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

I also suspect that the Monoprice mics are the same as the MXL990's. I have 6 MXL990's and I love those things. Probably pushing 10 years old, used inside and outside in all kinds of weather and smokey conditions. I've had only one fail over the years and I suspect it was dropped. I also have a few Sure condenser mics that are really great mics at substantially more money.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Thanks so much everyone: you've all been really helpful!
    After a LOT of thought (with a whole lot of humming and hawing...) I ordered the Shure SM94, to start. That said, we're going to be buying more mics for vocals, and I'm sure we'll be giving the MXL990 a try for those. More thoughts and insights are always very welcome.

Now... my band needs to start looking at amp speakers for our recently purchased PA system (this road never stops, does it!).

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    I also suspect that the Monoprice mics are the same as the MXL990's. I have 6 MXL990's and I love those things. Probably pushing 10 years old, used inside and outside in all kinds of weather and smokey conditions. I've had only one fail over the years and I suspect it was dropped. I also have a few Sure condenser mics that are really great mics at substantially more money.
    Same here. I have been using two in two different bands for the past 9 years. Been used for a ton of gigs and they still sound great.
    Larry Hunsberger

Ibanez PF5

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandobassman For This Useful Post:

+1 on the MXL's. I've been using three 910's, which aren't even up to the 990 level, and they've worked darn well miking vocals, fiddle, and mandolin.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

22. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Blog Entries

As mentioned above, they will often work quite well live precisely because are not sensitive large diaphragm condensers. They only look like they are. They are SD microphones in a LD casing, and as with the 'Ear Trumpet' mics, the external appearance belies what is actually inside them. The 990 and 910 are both popular as the basis for numerous modifications, because the casing is quite nice. With the 990, the fact that it has an acoustically rather poor grille, while counting against it in sheer quality terms, or for recording use, may actually help in a live situation.....

Nothing wrong with them for what you pay.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to almeriastrings For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    As mentioned above, they will often work quite well live precisely because are not sensitive large diaphragm condensers. They only look like they are. They are SD microphones in a LD casing, and as with the 'Ear Trumpet' mics, the external appearance belies what is actually inside them. The 990 and 910 are both popular as the basis for numerous modifications, because the casing is quite nice. With the 990, the fact that it has an acoustically rather poor grille, while counting against it in sheer quality terms, or for recording use, may actually help in a live situation.....

Nothing wrong with them for what you pay.
    I would imagine the lack of performance would show up like a sore thumb in the studio. But like you said, the lack of sensitivity is probably why they work so well. I use the MXL 990 all the time. Once we did a show and the 990 somehow was left behind. We used a AT 4033 instead and had constant feedback. We could jus never get a decent sound without a squeal. The next show we had the 990 back and had wonderful sound.
    I experience the same thing with my bass mic. I use a Radio Shack tie clip mic the for what it is intended for is a lousy mic. But, clipped to the f hole of my bass sounds better than any high dollar pick up I have ever used. I get no feedback at all, even though I am two feet from my amp. The reason is that the mic has to be right on top of the sound source to pick up anything at all, and because of that, it doesn't pick up other instruments.
    The MXL has been a wonderful mic for live use. Sure it doesn't have anywhere near the specs of the high end mics, but it sounds great on stage.
    Larry Hunsberger

Ibanez PF5

Blog Entries

For live use, a mic which is easy to manage in terms of feedback is critical. What you might call "absolute" technical perfection is way, way down the list. Other things that make a difference are wind resistance and shock mounting. In fact, the MXL 990 is quite good in terms of wind resistance (heavy, over padded basket), but the shock resistance is poor.

After all that... here is my pick of one of the very best 'live mics' made. The Shure KSM9HS.

This is a beautiful microphone, that is put together with superb quality components to a very tight specification. It is fantastic for bluegrass bands in wide-cardiod mode as a 'single mic' . It has it all. Low handling noise, good wind resistance and sounds just wonderful. It might not look too fancy, but it really does the job. Only downside is it is far from cheap....
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to almeriastrings For This Useful Post:

JimPick&Grin