Thread: Okay to post questions about mandolins in the classifieds?

Default Okay to post questions about mandolins in the classifieds?

I'm a new member here, and I don't want to screw up or tick anyone off right off the bat. I'm looking for my first mandolin. I've sent questions to sellers and I've been really pleased with the helpful responses. But if I want to refer to a mandolin for sale in the classifieds to get general opinions here in the forum on the price or quality of the instrument, is that okay?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Okay to post questions about mandolins in the classifieds?

JWP: I get your question. I believe protocol would be to write the seller. If they don't answer all your questions, you may post a question about a given mandolin brand and model, without discussing the classified ad directly. It wouldn't be appropriate to critique the offering in the classifieds, but you are always welcome to ask about a particular mandolin in a general sense. That is what I would humbly recommend.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lflngpicker For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

What Dan said seems right to me. General questions w/o referring to ad.

BTW which one are we talking about? (just kidding)

5. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

There's plenty of discussion here about instruments in the Classifieds. Sellers aren't supposed to promote their ads in the Forum, and if you have a dispute with a buyer or seller it's always best to work it out privately, with the assistance of the site owner if need be. Other than that, it's pretty wide open. If you're an interested buyer, there's no reason you can't refer to a specific ad. So ask away.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrmando For This Useful Post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

what's your budget? For your first mandolin though, I think the arch-top, f-hole mandolin the most versatile. I think solid wood is better than laminate and I think carved top is better than pressed top.

Kentucky, Eastman, J. Bovier, The Loar, Lafferty, Northfield all make such mandolins. Check out their web page to see if there is something that looks good.

Some folks (me) like flat-top mandolins. Mid-Missouri, Big Muddy and (the former) Flatiron all make those too. I'm still glad I have the arch-top though.

Used mandolins are great. Just sort of know what you are looking for (look at the new models for example).

In the entry-level (i.e., sub $300) folks seem to really like the Kentucky KM-150, which may not be carved top.

I'm pretty sure we all love to discuss such topics!

. . . and welcome!

f-d
    ‘papα gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

You can usually do a thread search here on the Cafe on a particular mandolin that you are interested in for opinions/reviews. That will usually turn up more discussion about a particular mandolin than you would even need. After that you can cross reference that with an open internet search to see recent sales for that particular mandolin.

I think the "general" rule of thumb is that a used mandolin goes for about 30% less than new cost (thanks for the catch Dave!). That is not a hard and fast rule though. It depends upon certain other factors (including condition, rarity, vintage, etc... Think cars, and apply that logic).

If you are stuck at that point, start a new thread on the particular mandolin that you are interested in (not citing particular ad) as Dan and MrMando suggested. You should get more than enough information for you to make your decision.

Also...it is the generally accepted custom here (correct me if I'm wrong guys) to give buyers a trial period when you buy a mandolin. But, that being said... The details should be explicitly agreed to by both parties in e-mail form.

BTW... You might as well buy 2 or 3 right off the bat. It will save you time in the long run. If you don't understand why now... You soon will.

Welcome to the Cafe!!
    Last edited by Hadji36; Mar-17-2015 at 9:47pm.
    "If you pick it... It will never heal." - Mom

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hadji36 For This Useful Post:

What Hadji meant is that a used mando usually goes for 30% LESS than a new one.
    I've always had a positive experience buying pre-owned instruments and I look forward to the next purchase, hopefully sooner rather than later!

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave LaBoone For This Useful Post:

Dave. Thanks for the correction. That's what I meant.

Man, I could have messed up the OP's first purchase experience here.
    "If you pick it... It will never heal." - Mom

You can link to any ad in the classifieds you wish to and ask about a specific instrument. It is not unusual to do that nor is it against the posting guidelines. What you cannot do is start a discussion on anything YOU have in the classifieds.
    Bill Snyder

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Snyder For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

The big thing is not to criticize a fellow member's instrument listing and in doing so encourage an offensive exchange regarding the faults of someone's instrument. It is a better road to show discretion, depending on the situation, and by not identifying the specific offering, you can still discuss a given model, year and its attributes without causing a seller to be offended. That was all I was getting at; not that an instrument shouldn't be discussed but rather being careful not to tear down someone's listing specifically.
    2014 BRW F5 #114

I guess I don't get why you keep coming back to this. Plenty of listings get criticized. Believe me, if someone puts up a $50.00 Rogue for $300.00 they're gonna take some heat. If something is a bad deal or not what it says it is then someone will speak the truth. If you don't want to be open for criticism don't list things. Now, if someone gets personal about the person listing the instrument, that could be an issue but there is no rule against honestly discussing a classifieds listing. You take the bad with the good.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

18. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

jwp333 

Original poster here. I think I'll take what the moderator says. I never wanted to criticize anyone, but I also didn't want to open a seller to criticism of their instrument from other members. So I may not do it. Instead, I'll probably just focus on reading over past forum threads.
    This whole search process is fun but a little daunting. So many options, so many things to weigh. But I'll say again that the sellers in the classifieds that I've contacted have all been very willing to answer questions about their instruments. This is a friendly community, and I appreciate it.

All new members should learn from your example. So many people barge in without ever looking at the board guidelines. Good luck in your search!
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Martin, you bring up a very good point, until very recently I had not really read the posting guidelines. I use my personal guidelines (most of the time) which are pretty much " Don't be a JERK!" Which seems to fall within the posted guidelines. I have ventured over the top a time or two and learned from those forays. It's good to remember what the real deal is.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Your budget , type of music and choice of an A or F style would be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    Your budget , type of music and choice of an A or F style would be helpful.
    I'm still figuring out all of that. I'd say less than $1000, f style, bluegrass. Right now I'm showing some discipline in sticking to that, but I'm guilty of having looked closely at an f style closer to $2000 on the classifieds, and a two point Weber for a little less on eBay.

Discipline indeed! Good luck, you will find something that will snap your cap but then you will see something......and then MAS sets in!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    Discipline indeed! Good luck, you will find something that will snap your cap but then you will see something......and then MAS sets in!
    I know all about GAS since I have about 13 of them, so I am probably susceptible to MAS too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    I guess I don't get why you keep coming back to this. Plenty of listings get criticized. Believe me, if someone puts up a $50.00 Rogue for $300.00 they're gonna take some heat. If something is a bad deal or not what it says it is then someone will speak the truth. If you don't want to be open for criticism don't list things. Now, if someone gets personal about the person listing the instrument, that could be an issue but there is no rule against honestly discussing a classifieds listing. You take the bad with the good.
    Thanks Mike. I see your perspective and appreciate the clarification.
    2014 BRW F5 #114