Thread: My new super convenient rig - cheap solution!

Default My new super convenient rig - cheap solution!

I've been scrounging the second-hand shops for years for a/the most convenient way to schlep my gear. Finally found a very nice HUGE canvas grocery-type bag (apparently made for "Rhythm Clock" - must give credit). This has both conventional handles as well as long shoulder-length straps that lift the bag only about a half-foot - easing heavy load; it free stands, light as a feather...dual pockets...could hold three resonator banjos. Inside is tenor banjo, fiddle, button box and concertina - all individually cased; Four-in-one bag is the best I've ever done and still have a comfortable shoulder rig. The harp could go in, but that goes in its own bag. Me happy.

The evolution of the carpet-bag:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	279.8 KB 
ID:	131387 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150305_123838.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	148.5 KB 
ID:	131386

Default Re: My new super convenient rig - cheap solution!

looks good!
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

3. The following members say thank you to jim simpson for this post:

It is a visual upgrade, isn't it

Does it come with a coupon for hernia surgery?

6. The following members say thank you to SincereCorgi for this post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

I like it! I use a standard size canvas tote bag for my cables, Baggs Venue DI, mikes, odds and ends - good size, and also flexible, or smushable, so it fits into or fills spaces that something more rigid wouldn't. This is another level up. And colorful. Just don't let them call you a carpetbagger.

The best I've ever seen was what David Lindley used - a steamer trunk pushed out on stage, from which he pulled all kinds of instruments, as suited his needs for different songs. The effect was much like Felix the Cat and his bag of tricks. I imagine the whole thing went in the cargo hold of a plane, with sufficient padding to keep everything from rattling around.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

Does look more convenient but I gotta say the original has an eclectic world-music look that says 'catmandu'.

9. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

Sacrificing style for function, Mark. (and the better ride allows me to bring better instruments out - if you have a look in that colorful bag you'll see only "beaters")

Were I gigging out of town, I would certainly use a trunk - customized for my primary instruments. When I was drumming I used wheeled trunks (golf club-bag carriers for the airline are great).

Also - this is my small room rig. Next week for the market, I'll be bringing a trunk with two hammered dulcimers, guitars and banjos, amp, mic, and another button box (or three). My large harp hasn't left the house yet - it was delivered - so I don't even know yet if it will fit into our car..
    Last edited by catmandu2; Mar-06-2015 at 11:40am.

free ( left near dumpster find) folding luggage trolley lets me Roll my Amp on wheels,
    only lifting it as needed

Roland AC 60 padded gig bag even has a velcro strap on the back..
    to keep it on the trolley ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    ... folding luggage trolley lets me Roll my Amp on wheels,
    only lifting it as needed
    Under this category is this useful item (nfi): http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/200U-2202.htm . If I were busking out I'd acquire this in a heartbeat.

Wheels are definitely the way to go for heavies. Dollies (and cars) topics are usually at the top of the list on the harp forum (where folks are moving pedal harps about!..I think this is about the worst instrument to have to deal with in this regard...an instrument that is difficult to tune, but absolutely must be in precise tuning). One of my long-term pursuits was to minimize logistical challenges /hassles in performing - in fact that's among the reasons why I started playing on little instruments. And now I'm back to hauling furniture. But I'm spoiled - the bardic harpers would go about on horse or donkey...no doubt, the ancient bards spent some time complaining about broken metal strings, climactic challenges, and the occasional stubborn arse!

the stubborn arses will always be with us, I just saw one on the highway yesterday!