Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just fell in love with Country music: Looking for reccomendations

Default Re: Just fell in love with Country music: Looking for reccomendat

If you don't mind a distorted electric guitar:
    Everything by Uncle Tupelo
    The early Son Volt
    If you want to go back a little in history: The first two albums by the Flying Burrito Brothers:
    Gram Parsons, for that matter

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    Hey, A-4,
    Who's singing tenor on that cut! Nice version.
    Thanks for sharing!
    I don't know, and don't know how to find out! I don't even know how I learned who played the mandolin on that track. Looking for more videos of Don and Robbie, it sounds like someone else is probably singing the tenor:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...AWnaqKtCOTqgP-

I've never heard that playlist linked above, but man, I'm impressed with the mandolin playing, which really drives the songs, even ignoring the solos. Robbie Fulks spans a broader range of country than the Bluebirds song I linked to, but I knew that one had a good mandolin part.

As far as current music, I only listen to some of the current bluegrass groups like Balsam Range. The only "modern" country performer I've heard I like is Dale Watson. A guy out of Austin who plays old-style country.

There are some artists between the greats of the past you mentioned and today who should not be missed: Vince Gill, Rodney Crowell, Rosanne Cash, Carlene Carter, Shelby Lynne, Patty Loveless, Pam Tillis, Lyle Lovett and George Strait come to mind.

Today's performers of merit: Kacey Musgrave, Miranda Lambert, Jamey Johnson, Jimmy LaFave, and Brandy Clark.

Eddie Sheehy,

I made my living for many years at Paradise, The TVA power plant boarders, the old prison to the south side, and located on the west side of Green River. The Video and song brings back so many memories, The old store and post office, I think were last used about 1968-1970, I remember giving an old lady, a ride from Paradise to Drakesboro, KY. She was probably the last resident. I don't remember if I have googled earth that area or not.
    'Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of my life?
    Think I'll just loaf today then. Fred.

Caleb Klauder and Cahalen Morrison both have country bands in addition to their old timey acoustic bands. Really good country music!

7. The following members say thank you to sgarrity for this post: