Thread: Pig in a poke?

Default Pig in a poke?

What are the thoughts on 76 Gibson F5? Unfortunately I can't play it first, internet. It does have a couple of fearures I've never seen. It has a quilted maple back and simple dot inlay on the finver board. Any thoughts/ advise out there?

Default Re: Pig in a poke?

A link to the advert would have been a good idea. From what i've read on the Cafe site over the years i've been on here,is that the 1970's Gibsons weren't partcularly good mandolins from a 'sound' quality perspective. Anyway,regardless of make/model,you should always have the chance to play it & appraise it & return it if you don't like it,Gibson or ''whatever'',
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Pig in a poke! That's a good North of England saying.
    Unfortunately here in the UK people aren't as positive about giving a 48hour approval period, so most are bought on description alone.
    I never fail at anything, I just succeed at doing things that never work....

Fylde Touchstone Walnut Mandolin.
    Gibson Alrite Model D.

Might be questionable as to authenticity, I don't know that I have seen a "genuine" quilted maple back from that era. I hate to say it but quite a few parts "escaped" the plant back then, it may be assembled from some of those. Not casting aspersions just questioning. I would be very happy to be proven wrong about that.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

5. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

rnb54 

Timothy, that's sort of what I'm thinking as well. I've never seen an F5 with dots on the finger board either. It does have both labels inside, but who knows?

This was not a good period for Gibson. I'd stay away.

Thanks Ivan. It was on ebay and ended with no bids. He is supposed to re-post this weekend.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

I had a 74' that was a good mandolin. That being said I would not purchase a mandolin from this period without playing it first. The Gumby or lump scroll models had single dot fret board markers and both labels. They were also labeled A 12 for some reason. The F5 models from this period had some very fancy curly cutouts for fret board markers. The varnish also turns a nicotine brown color due to a different hardener used then. Carter's Vintage Guitar in Nashville has a 73' for sale currently if you want to look at some comparison photos online.... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

I wouldn't buy a Gibson mandolin from the '70's, not even an F-5.

Let this one pass...