Thread: need screw

Default need screw

I have a 2005 f5g Gibson mandolin and need a screw that hold tuner knob on.
    any help?

Default Re: need screw

Take one off of one of the other tuners and take it to Lowes or Home Depot and show it to a salesman and he will probably be able to match it....Or call Gibson and they probably would send you one...

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Take one off of one of the other tuners and take it to Lowes or Home Depot and show it to a salesman and he will probably be able to match it....Or call Gibson and they probably would send you one...
    Or take it to a real hardware store that has a real hardware guy and you might get the right one. My experience with Home Depot "experts" is rarely positive also with all that stuff in there it seems that they only have the big sellers. A hardware store should have everything they carry in every size and sometimes it takes years to get rid of the ones that are not commonly called for,but they have them when you need them! ---also music stores that do repair might have a drawer full and an exact match,same brand!

What kind of tuners are they? Best bet is to contact the tuning machine manufacturers.
    Most hardware stores won't have shiny nickel plated screws, and certainly won't have gold finished screws, if those are what you need.

Unless you get the guy who used to work at the little old hardware store that Home Depot put out of business, you might have a hard time getting any real help at HD. Call Gibson, they might just know what you need.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Home Depot, Orchard and ACE hardware all have gold finished screws. ACE hardware has the best customer support as a sale rep will go with you to get the items you want and explain in details whenever necessary. If I need some replacement parts that I am not sure about for plumbing, I always go to ACE hardware, they will get me the correct one.
    That's where I got screws for my instruments too in case some are missing.

7. The following members say thank you to kkmm for this post:

Find a local luthier. They will probably have the right one.

Registered User Steve VandeWater's Avatar

There have been many recent threads about this. If you have a Fastenal store nearby, try that. Hardware stores wil be a long shot. But you may get lucky.
    It ain't gotta be perfect, as long as it's perfect enough!

Quote Originally Posted by kkmm View Post
    Home Depot, Orchard and ACE hardware all have gold finished screws. ACE hardware has the best customer support as a sale rep will go with you to get the items you want and explain in details whenever necessary. If I need some replacement parts that I am not sure about for plumbing, I always go to ACE hardware, they will get me the correct one.
    That's where I got screws for my instruments too in case some are missing.
    Ace is different, at least around here. They are locally owned hardware stores, sometimes have been there for years and years and have some kind of contract with Ace to act as their supplier. They have names like "Smith Ace Hardware". All the stores are different, some good,some not so good. Most luthiers I know never throw away anything and may very well have what you are looking for. I have several music stores around here that do shop repair on premises and I would probably try there first,or second as I have a hardware store just down the way--- But in this case I know everything in that store and already know that they wouldn't have what you are looking for. There's an Ace a few miles away though that just might.....

They may have brass screws. But gold plated (or Titanium Nitride or other gold-colored PVD coating) machine screws? I've never seen them in a hardware store.

12. The following members say thank you to Marty Jacobson for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by buddyk View Post
    I have a 2005 f5g Gibson mandolin and need a screw that hold tuner knob on.
    any help?
    thanks for your help problem solved, sorry not at liberty to say how.
    Last edited by buddyk; Mar-03-2015 at 5:05pm. Reason: problem solved

Aw c'mon, did you find the screw in your case?
    Just pokin' a little fun. Glad you got it squared away, always better when a problem gets sorted out quickly.
    Timothy F. Lewis

I hate it when a thread ends like that. inquiring minds want to know.

Blog Entries

Let me guess, you found it in your case and are to ashamed to confess.
    =============================
    Apollonio Acousto-electric bouzouki (in shop)
    Mixter 10 string mandola (still waiting 2+ yrs)
    Unknown brand Mandocaster (on the way!)
    "Doubt begins only at the last frontiers of what is possible." -- Ambrose Bierce

17. The following members say thank you to Rob Zamites for this post:

actually I did not find it but the person I got it from don't want the publicity

Anonymity is fine, glad someone helped you out. I say good for whoever it was!
    Lots of things get " shared" around here. Now if someone wanted to share a Loar with me, I would not complain in the least!
    Timothy F. Lewis

20. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Blog Entries

Just for what it's worth ... I've sometimes found oddball--particularly SMALL oddball--screws at hobby and model shops. Railroaders, model builders, various other kinds of crafts mavens, use all kinds of small screws. It's a bit of an odd place to look, but for the right screw, I'll go almost anywhere.
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by belbein View Post
    Just for what it's worth ...for the right screw, I'll go almost anywhere.
    TMI.

Apollonio Acousto-electric bouzouki (in shop)
    Mixter 10 string mandola (still waiting 2+ yrs)
    Unknown brand Mandocaster (on the way!)
    "Doubt begins only at the last frontiers of what is possible." -- Ambrose Bierce

The IMDB (Internet Movie Data Base) has a host of background information on the making of many many movies since the dawn of cinema, and so it appears that when the horror film “Hellraiser” came out the Producers apparently had a problem with the original title of “The Hellbound Heart”. The Director wanted “Sadomasochists from Beyond the Grave” but this met with almost universal disapproval, so finally they threw it open to the cast and production crew. Given that the subject matter was about a woman trying to resurrect her dead boyfriend, one crew member suggested calling the film: "What a woman will do for a good screw…”
    Wonder if she played the mandolin too?
    "Danger! Do Not Touch!" must be one of the scariest things to read in Braille....

Sorry I missed this but I'm glad you found the screw. I generally just send people right to someone at Gibson in the mandolin department(not Gibson Customer Service). That's how I resolved the same issue when I lost one.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

25. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post: