Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holy!

Unhappy Holy!

Earlier this week, I opened my mandolin case to find that a four-inch crack had appeared, starting at the tailpiece and heading toward the bridge; another crack looked to be starting on the opposite side. I took the mando to three different instrument shops in the area and they all found the block supporting the tailpiece had come unglued which caused the tailpiece to start leaning forward and even working its way under the binding on the edge. To fix it, the back would need to come off--an aggressive and expensive repair. It's a Morgan Monroe MMS-7, with the marbled finish--impossible to recreate. I'm heartsick, and don't know how to proceed from here. Any ideas?

Default Re: Holy!

Cut the back off with one of them super thin japanese saws.

Blog Entries

I sure love my Webers!
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

Hate to say it but given the price of a new MM MMS-7 it will be cheaper to buy a new one than to try and fix yours, especially if ya want that finish repaired. Ebay your old one as a basket case repair job, I have sometimes seen bidding go stupid high for junkers there
    If you want something that "barks" get a damn dog

I agree with Pribar, cut your losses and don't throw good money after bad. I wish I had learned that lesson much earlier myself. Worst case you can list it as a wall hanger decoration. I have sold several basket cases that fetched a decent price considering that they were not worth repairing.
    The registered user formerly known as 1-2-many.

Then it looks like my playing days are numbered--can't afford to fix it; and certainly can't afford to buy a new one (retired, fixed income). Reckon I'll just play it 'til it collapses in on itself.

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I would get a new one, but if you ever thought about building or working on one get a new one and keep it and do the repair yourself since it isn't worth a lot you might enjoy working on it
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

Quote Originally Posted by Graewulf View Post
    Then it looks like my playing days are numbered--can't afford to fix it; and certainly can't afford to buy a new one (retired, fixed income). Reckon I'll just play it 'til it collapses in on itself.
    If you are handy with tools get you a fine kerf saw (Amazon sells serviceable ones for 10-20 bucks) and carefully remove the back with it, you will need to brace the sides because they will tend to spread once the back is off, once the back is off look at how the block sat, remove any glue remaining on the surfaces, do a couple of test fits to make sure it will go back together cleanly then using Titebond 1 glue it up and securely clamp it both to the front and side, the repair will definitely be visible and it may be outside your comfort level.

Another option is to get a cheapo like a rogue A style mandolin, they aren't great but with a proper set up you can be back to playing at least and mandolin plus a proper set up will set ya back less than a hundred bucks.

If you can find a decent luthier to look at the mandolin,do that & get him to estimate the cost of a repair -if it can be repaired !. I see that the going price of an MMS-7 is around the $600 mark,not exactly 'cheap',so you'll have to decide about the cost of the repair - is it worth it or not ?.Judging by what the instrument shops have said already,it's likely that the repair wouldn't really be the way to go,especially as the finish you describe would be tricky to try to make good.
    Rather than buying a cheap option,look around for a good condition 'used' mandolin at a price you can afford. A decent 'used' Kentucky mandolin would be a good bet. They have a far better reputation than the MM mandolins both in terms of build quality & their sound,& don't discount "A" styles as well.They can sound as good as an "F" style but for far less cash,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Time to have fun shopping. The mando store may help with payment options.
    Amateurs practice until they can play it right.
    Professionals practice until they can't play it wrong.

Collings MTO
    Epiphone Mandobird IV
    Yamaha Piano
    Roland AX-1

Sorry about your loss .... time to browse the classifieds.
    Be true to your teeth, or they'll be false to you!

12. The following members say thank you to Sweetpea44 for this post:

One thing that hasn't been asked yet. Did you buy it new? If so have you contacted the seller or Morgan Monroe? It does come with a lifetime warranty. Here's a link to the Morgan Monroe page.
    Marc B.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marc Berman For This Useful Post:

I heard you, Graewulf! (retired, fixed income...but not really as part-time bookseller)
    Don't give up!
    1. Play it till it won't play anymore!
    2. Someone else suggested...sell it as a project mandolin...for those with some repair skills, it should be worth a couple of hundred.
    3. Put aside 10% of all your bookselling revenue.
    4. Haunt the craigslist and ebay websites...there are LOTS of inexpensive mandolins that will play well...maybe not as appealing as your MM; a player will keep you in the game!
    Good Luck!

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Another possible option... if you can get the crack fixed but the marbled finish looks bad, you could refinish it as a black top. It's not what you bought it for in the first place, but it's not a bad look. It wouldn't look bad with the remaining marble finished back and sides.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

"Marble finish"... My mind boggled with thoughts of the possible varied interpretations of said coating until I managed to find a photo on the web.<g>
    Rob Grant
    FarOutNorthQueensland,Oz
    http://www.grantmandolins.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Berman View Post
    One thing that hasn't been asked yet. Did you buy it new? If so have you contacted the seller or Morgan Monroe? It does come with a lifetime warranty. Here's a link to the Morgan Monroe page.
    That's wonderful news, Marc; I just contacted SHS and stated my issue. As soon as they get back to me, I'll fill you all in. Thanks, buddy!

19. The following members say thank you to Graewulf for this post:

Hi. Captain Obvious here. Did you buy it new from an authorized dealer? How long ago? Might it still be under warranty? Have you contacted the manufacturer to see what they have to say about it? If not you might want to.

OK, missed the post where they asked it. carry on.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by belbein View Post
    I sure love my Webers!
    So cheering the OP's misfortune or what? Maybe he couldn't afford a Weber.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Registered User Chunky But Funky's Avatar

If this is fixed under warranty, or if you by chance have any other instruments, you may want to look at humidification. Is there any possibility this is related to low relative humidity, or simply a structural failure. I'm really not sure what would cause what you describe. It seems to be significantly more damage than a crack from low humidity. There are proponents and opponents of humidifying instruments. Some will say that there is no need for humidification and that only abrupt changes in humidity / temperature would cause damage. Either way, I am squarely in the "humidify" camp after a 6" or so long crack opened up years ago on a high end Fender acoustic guitar from their Spring Hill, TN custom shop. I could own stock in Oasis humidifiers!
    Red Penguin Rentals & Red Penguin Remote- High end outboard recording rentals (Pgh, PA)
    Mics from Neuman, Korby Audio, Royer, Sennheiser & EV and Remote Recording featuring Mac Computers, Metric Halo Interfaces, Pro Tools & Logic

"Cedar makes for excellent soundhole sniffing"
    Steve Miklas - Acoustic Music Works

Smile Re: Holy!

Thanks to everyone for your feedback. I sent the mando back to SHS per the CSR's instructions, and they determined that it was indeed a manufacturing defect. I now am the proud owner of a brand new replacement for the MMS 7. They are even going to return my old case (a true hardshell) when the new instrument arrived with an obviously cheaper downgrade from the cases they used to make. The first mando was made in Korea--this one is made in China. So, a tip of the hat and a raising of the glass to one company that honors their lifetime warranties, even after ten years! Top customer service scores to CSR Geoff Z.
    Last edited by Graewulf; Mar-22-2015 at 1:59pm. Reason: Mis-typing

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Graewulf For This Useful Post:

Cut the back off with one of them super thin japanese saws.
    Cutting the back off with a japanese blade is easier than one thinks. I have done it twice.
    Once the back is out, you will have full access to the top from under and you can fix the crack quite easily.
    If you are really careful, you may be able to preserve the existing finish.
    The only challenge is when gluing the back plate to the body again, it's hard to align the border.
    To make this easier, I drill 4 or 5 tiny holes around the border of the back, then put in tiny screws, then remove them before cutting the back off. These little holes will help when you put it back, and the tiny screws also help as clamps (although you do need to use more clamps). Once it's done, remove the screws and fill the tiny holes the best you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Graewulf View Post
    Thanks to everyone for your feedback. I sent the mando back to SHS per the CSR's instructions, and they determined that it was indeed a manufacturing defect. I now am the proud owner of a brand new replacement for the MMS 7. They are even going to return my old case (a true hardshell) when the new instrument arrived with an obviously cheaper downgrade from the cases they used to make. The first mando was made in Korea--this one is made in China. So, a tip of the hat and a raising of the glass to one company that honors their lifetime warranties, even after ten years! Top customer service scores to CSR Geoff Z.
    Great to hear!
    And heres to Marc Berman and MikeEdgerton who stepped back from the pile of us repair guys who were screwing the old football and asked the obvious question "is it still under warranty?"

That's so great. Happy ending.

Mandolin Dreams Unlimited MysTiK PiKn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pribar View Post
    Great to hear!
    And heres to Marc Berman and MikeEdgerton who stepped back from the pile of us repair guys who were screwing the old football and asked the obvious question "is it still under warranty?"
    Ummm, YUP. I just tuned in. Sitting, reading, thinking - omg, you people, somebody say the WARRANTY WORD.
    Finally.
    I searched the model and found FolkMusician site - there's a note on there that they were discontinued - but now they are back. Soon as I saw that I thought - yep,recall time.

I found another, not sure what brand; but on that one the spec changed - I was searching ads for used, and there was a major improvement to solid wood, on newer ones, but the one I was looking at, was cheap - too cheap - and it was ye olde plywood spec - no thank you. But that's another story.

@ Graewulf, you must be living right - keep it happening. And happy PiKn, eh.

Great resolution - good to hear.

A friend just opened up the case of one of his guitars and discovered a long crack in the face of it. I suspect this winter's weather didn't help. I don't think the maker is still in business (Crafters of Tenn) so he's taking it to our local luthier.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band