Thread: Handel: Music For The Royal Fireworks - Bourree & Menuets

Default Handel: Music For The Royal Fireworks - Bourree & Menuets

G. F. Händel: Music For The Royal Fireworks (HWV 351, 1649):
    Bourree - Menuet (1) - Menuet (2)

This is an arrangement of the bourree and both minuets from Handel's Fireworks Music for a trio of two mandolins and tenor guitar, adapted from a string quartet setting by leaving out the viola part - I tried playing it on mandola and thought it worked better without. It makes the piece into that most Baroque of genres, the trio sonata.

Played on my pseudo-baroque nylgut-strung bowlback mandolin and my Embergher.

Baroq-ulele nylgut strung mandolin
    1915 Luigi Embergher mandolin
    Ozark tenor guitar

Martin
    Last edited by Martin Jonas; Mar-01-2015 at 6:20pm.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Martin Jonas For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Handel: Music For The Royal Fireworks - Bourree & Menuets

Nice, I'm assuming that you overdubbed the three parts? But, playing it as a trio does NOT make it a trio sonata. A trio sonata has a specific FORM, not just three instruments (as a matter of fact, since the continuo part was usually played by two people, trio sonatas were usually performed by four people). It is still a dance suite, no matter how many people are playing.

Quote Originally Posted by David L View Post
    Nice, I'm assuming that you overdubbed the three parts? But, playing it as a trio does NOT make it a trio sonata. A trio sonata has a specific FORM, not just three instruments (as a matter of fact, since the continuo part was usually played by two people, trio sonatas were usually performed by four people). It is still a dance suite, no matter how many people are playing.
    Thanks, David. Yes, I know about trio sonata form -- I was being somewhat facetious.

The three parts are indeed overdubbed, like in all my recordings, as I'm playing all the parts. However, we've also played the same arrangement at our informal group's rehearsal last week. Other than getting the bourree up to a respectable tempo, it's pretty straightforward to play.

Martin
    Last edited by Martin Jonas; Mar-03-2015 at 1:46pm.

Very nice :-)

I do lots of overdubbing, myself (just playing with myself). Do you use a click track? Also, I did wonder if the "trio sonata" was facetious. Glad to hear that it was.