Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another high $$$ pick

Default Another high $$$ pick

I noticed that Gravity Picks are releasing a new range, the Gold Series, that are clearly aimed at the Blue Chip market. Apparently they were at the NAMM show in January. Did anyone see them?

I'm not sure what their "groundbreaking beveling system" is, but the chisel-like edge doesn't look particularly unique to me.

Patrick

Default Re: Another high $$$ pick

I have some Striker picks I like a lot, but they have gotten little use since BC came into the house. That bevel looks pretty blah to me but maybe the symmetry works fine. I can't see not just spending the extra $6 for a BC pick, especially given the return policy and ease of resale without much depreciation.
    Blow on, man.

The shape, size, and overall style of the pick looks OK. I'd really want to hear some descriptions of what the material sounds like on the strings before buying one, though. Is it a bright, glassy type pick, or more mellow?

And yeah, the bevel looks pretty uninteresting. Can't tell from the photos whether it's a sharp chiseled edge or if it has any radius at the tip of the bevel; my guess is that it's a sharp point. Maybe I'm just spoiled on the directional speed bevel that seems to have more thought put into it with respect to angle of attack and ergonomics. But who knows - this bevel might be OK. I might just spend the money on one as an experiment. Worst case, it gets thrown into the pile of other picks I've experimented with in the past.

At the very least, I'm glad to see more pick makers stepping out and trying to offer specialty picks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    At the very least, I'm glad to see more pick makers stepping out and trying to offer specialty picks.
    Its really an exciting time in the pick world.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

5. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

just when I thought I had this PAS behind me...

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jackgaryk For This Useful Post:

Do mandolin players really care that much about how a pick is beveled?

I dunno... it hasn't been a big thing for me. I've been using Blue Chip picks for the last few years based on how the material sounds on the strings, with a secondary factor being the extremely low wear (yes, they do wear), and the wide range of thickness, shapes, and sizes offered at that price range. YMMV, but the bevel shape just isn't that critical to me.

Also, just a note to a company representative if they're reading this. Clicking on a link to your web site for the very first time, and being accosted by a "Subscribe to our newsletter" popup that I have to click past, to see what you're offering, is a complete turn-off. This is not how you design a commercial web site in 2015. I might be interested in your newsletter after knowing something about your product, but I have no reason to add to the clutter in my email inbox before I even know what you're selling.

9. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

From foldedpath - "Do mandolin players really care that much about how a pick is beveled ?". I certainly do. I've found that too much of a bevel allows the pick to slide over the strings without imparting enough ''picking'' energy to get the strings moving. The thicker Golden Gate & Dawg picks were the worst for me. When i first began using the Wegen Bluegrass picks,i had to file some of the bevel off in order to get decent volume from my mandolin. That's one of the reasons that the Dunlop 'Primetone' picks work so well for me,they are beveled,but not to a great extent,more 'rounded off' & they really 'move' the string very well.
    Those Gravity picks look nothing special (to me) & personally, i think that the bevel is overdone. I'd rather all picks came un-beveled so that we can bevel them to please our own requirements,something i've ended up doing many times anyway,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

11. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    Also, just a note to a company representative if they're reading this. Clicking on a link to your web site for the very first time, and being accosted by a "Subscribe to our newsletter" popup that I have to click past, to see what you're offering, is a complete turn-off. This is not how you design a commercial web site in 2015. I might be interested in your newsletter after knowing something about your product, but I have no reason to add to the clutter in my email inbox before I even know what you're selling.
    I've noticed a lot of sites using this tactic. Sometimes it's done in a more subtle or even humorous way, or it presents a special offer of some value for clicking. I've also seen some that are way worse. Instead of just closing the popup, you have to click a little box that reads something like "No thanks, I'm not interested in keeping up to date on the latest important news about (topic)" -- that turned me off of that website quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackgaryk View Post
    Tell me about it ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0picksalot2.jpg 
Views:	404 
Size:	194.4 KB 
ID:	131179

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Petrus For This Useful Post:

Do mandolin players really care that much about how a pick is beveled?
    Absolutely! I really hate what the bevel does for the tone. I have tried two different high-end picks, with and without a bevel. Made a gigantic difference in tone I always liked the feel and volume I got from the Wegen TF140 but never liked the harshness of tone I got from it. I ordered one without a bevel and the tone is much warmer. I did the same thing with a Blue Chip TAD60. The beveled version was more hard-edged overall a nd brighter. The rounded edge was smoother and had a warmer tone. You don't really notice what effect the bevel has unless you try beveled and non-beveled with the same pick.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

I've had my eye on this one ever since Gravity Picks announced a few months ago that it was coming out soon. I have learned not to judge any pick by what it looks like. Two picks that look quite similar can sound quite different. I would also like to hear from some users but even that can be taken with a grain of salt. There are lots of picks that many users swear by that I have totally hated. Having said that, I will probably try one.

As to Tobin's remarks about size and shape, it is available in different sizes and thicknesses, which is good. There are some makers who's picks I won't try because they are only available in one shape.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    Absolutely! I really hate what the bevel does for the tone. I have tried two different high-end picks, with and without a bevel. Made a gigantic difference in tone I always liked the feel and volume I got from the Wegen TF140 but never liked the harshness of tone I got from it. I ordered one without a bevel and the tone is much warmer. I did the same thing with a Blue Chip TAD60. The beveled version was more hard-edged overall a nd brighter. The rounded edge was smoother and had a warmer tone. You don't really notice what effect the bevel has unless you try beveled and non-beveled with the same pick.
    I do alternate between the point and shoulder edge of a BC TAD1R for different tones, but I tend to think of the difference being more the shape of the edge -- sharp or rounded -- than the bevel (or lack of bevel) on the edge. Maybe it's because I use 1mm picks for Irish/Scottish trad, instead of the thicker picks many Bluegrass players use. Differences in bevel shape might be less noticeable on a thinner pick than a thicker one.

That might be true. Both the Blue Chip and Wegen picks I've done this with were 1.5mm with the exact same point. It made a bigger difference than I thought it would. Most picks thinner than 1mm don't have a bevel anyway. Isn't much material to bevel when it's that thin.

There are really three edge shapes: rounded, beveled, and square. Just stamping out a pick leaves a square edge. They are my least favorite. My favorite mandolin pick is a Dunlop 207. It is thick with a rounded bevel.

what brand are those shark tooth looking picks? Near the top of picture?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackgaryk View Post
    I have way more picks than I'll ever need to buy--but most were bought due to them being unusual or different or something I wanted to try.

But most of them were nowhere near the price of the ones here or Blue Chips, etc.
    Although I have bought a few stone picks for round $10.
    Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Too funny and true!
    The giant "G", with this cheezey bevel around the pick? I wouldn't buy it based on looks alone...but hey thats just me.

I went back to their website today, thinking that I might just pre-order one of these Gold Series Gravity picks out of curiosity. It appears that they've reduced the price from $29 to $20. I wonder if this is a limited introductory offer due to low pre-order volume. At any rate, cutting the price by a third is enough to put me into the "OK, I'll give it a try" camp.

24. The following members say thank you to Tobin for this post:

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It is an introductory offer. As a longtime Gravity user, I ordered one of the Gold picks as soon as I had received the email notification. It may or may not become my favourite, but my experience with Gravity has been good enough to warrant the attempt.

Incidentally, I'm not a fan of the new "G" logo either. And I think that the title of this thread could be much more informative.

looks like I waited too late to order...prices have gone back up.

Absolutely! I use a Blue Chip pick, a TD40, and I really appreciate how the pick is beveled, so it can slide over my strings easily. Blue Chips are practically the best picks out there.They don't make any pick noise and give you better tone. It is also easy to play fast and easily with these picks. They are worth the price,too.

Just FYI, I got an email that the pre-ordered Gold series Gravity Picks are shipping now (a few days earlier than the March 27th date on their website). I'll be sure to post my thoughts once I've gotten it and played it a bit.

29. The following members say thank you to Tobin for this post:

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Mine arrived today! I think the looks could be improved, but it plays and sounds great. It creates hardly any pick noise, and produces a very clean sound somewhat reminiscent of my Blue Chip and Dunlop Jazz picks. I tried it fast and slow, up and down the neck, with soft and hard attacks (all by my own standards), and the sound seemed very balanced. I chose the "Razer" shape, which was already one of my favourites before. It works well for me in this new material too.

Obviously, the debate about whether $20-30 for a pick is a good investment applies to the Gravity Gold as much as it does to the even more expensive Blue Chips. I'm not a good enough player to say whether it's worth that much more than, say, the Dunlop Jazz. But it's a nice treat for me, and will certainly be one of my preferred picks.

I figure if they are worth it for anyone who feels like they are a benefit, who am I to argue, I have no basis for the comparison, I'm simply too cheap to pop for one!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

I've been loving the Wegen's 2.5mm for a while. $14 for a pack at the Mandolin Store and they last long enough to make it worthwhile.

From what I've heard of the high end picks - I don't see the point. Wegen's provide all the tone I want, much cheaper, and the "speed holes" (simpsons did it) are pretty good for grips