Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New $180 Ibanez Tenor

Default Re: New $180 Ibanez Tenor

Parlor version at MF, Stupid Deal of the Day (NFI)

Quote Originally Posted by tkdboyd View Post
    the A string broke when tuning
    I was at our local Sam Ash today and they had one, obviously the only tenor guitar in the store. It seemed pretty nice for the price. It was tuned to Chicago (baritone uke) tuning so I tuned it to CGDA and also broke the A string. Very common occurrence I have heard. I think I have to get a bunch of .010 strings for mine. That one also had some funkiness on the low string buzzin around the 3rd fret so I imagine it would need some set up. I would go for the solid top in any case, but I have enough tenors at the moment.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

If the string is breaking at the tuning machine, check to see that the hole you feed the string through doesn't have sharp edges. If so, sand or file it a bit so the string isn't pulling against an edge that will cut into it.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

Been really eyeballin one of these for an all around busker. And I can't really tell if these have a bone nut and saddle, or plastic ones. Some places say bone, others, plastic.

Most place I saw said bone saddle for sure. See if you can find one locally or call whoever you are ready to order from to make sure. If you have a reliable dealer ships with a proper set up they should be able to tell you for sure. If you are buying from a big box store then you may need a setup anyway and your luthier can replace the parts with bones ones if they are plastic.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

That's what I was thinking, Jim. Buy it, and play the tar out of it, till the plastic wears out, then shell out $160.00 for a new bone nut and saddle. For the price of $180.00 bucks, it is pretty hard to beat. The thing I like about them, besides the price, is that they're all laminate, top included. Built like a tank. It would be able to handle humidity and heat changes out in the wilds of town a lot better than my Blueridge. And for an unbeatable price. And, I like the mini dreadnought shape.