Thread: Uncommon chords

Default Uncommon chords

Hi guys, making some good headway on the gdad chords, just wondering what chords most players use here. Im assuming those first position chords wear a bit thin after a while. I got bored using them so now experiment up the neck. For instance, a nice dmaj is 7700. Better than the old 2000 i was using!

Default Re: Uncommon chords

I use lots of open strings, so lots of these are actually implied chords:

D. 7000 7090 7050 0450
    G. 0550 7500 0555
    A. 9700 0777 8700
    E. 09 11 0 9900
    C. 5500
    F. 5300

I think this is all correct. I don't have an instrument handy to check

WTH? Don't understand your post at all.

Yeah, some are just plain wrong. All have open E string, do you mean x there (not played)?

Quote Originally Posted by NotMelloCello View Post
    WTH? Don't understand your post at all.
    If you dont understand it then why did you waste your time commenting on it?
    Obviously other people understand it just fine

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    Yeah, some are just plain wrong. All have open E string, do you mean x there (not played)?
    That would be open d string, not e

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Braccio View Post
    I use lots of open strings, so lots of these are actually implied chords:

D. 7000 7090 7050 0450
    G. 0550 7500 0555
    A. 9700 0777 8700
    E. 09 11 0 9900
    C. 5500
    F. 5300

I think this is all correct. I don't have an instrument handy to check
    All of your D chords are ninths, unless you're not letting the open e string ring.Of your G chords, the first is a sixth the second a 6/9,and the third is a ninth. Of your A chords the second one's a ninth and the third is a flat 5, which in my experience is usually played as a 7b5, which would be 8500. Your C chord is a sixth. Your F chord is a major seventh. Your last E chord is a suspended fourth. I can't make heads or tails of the earlier ones. I assume you play a lot of jazz.
    There is life beyond pentatonic scales.
    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/michaelhitchcocktrio

Quote Originally Posted by Miko View Post
    All of your D chords are ninths, unless you're not letting the open e string ring.Of your G chords, the first is a sixth the second a 6/9,and the third is a ninth. Of your A chords the second one's a ninth and the third is a flat 5, which in my experience is usually played as a 7b5, which would be 8500. Your C chord is a sixth. Your F chord is a major seventh. Your last E chord is a suspended fourth. I can't make heads or tails of the earlier ones. I assume you play a lot of jazz.
    I believe they are referring to chords in

G-D-A-D tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Mandotarian View Post
    I believe they are referring to chords in

G-D-A-D tuning
    Ah! Should have seen that. My bad!

The title of the thread sparked my interest. Should have noticed what forum it was in. Thought we were talking m
    andolins.

Same here, carry on.

I use an almost entirely different set of chords on GDAD tuned instruments than the standard GDAE. Here are some of my favorites:

7050, 7000: D, no third
    7400, 2400: D with third
    2440: Dmaj7
    0550: G no third
    0520: G with third
    0420: Gmaj7 (one of my favorites)
    9970: Em no third
    9-12-10-0: Em7
    6400: F#m
    5500: C no third
    5530: C no third more focused

As you can see, I never fret the high D with any of these chords, but really only think of them as chords without extensions unless I stated it in the chord name (for example C chord 5530 has a D, but when you are constantly working the open high D string, it tends to fade in to the background and become a rhythmic thing with a little tonal color instead of a blazingly obvious and out of place extension. I use these chords for trad, even though some of them are a little outside the tradition. If i need to play in other keys outside D major, G major, Em, I capo up. Sometimes I will play in Am out of open position, but often I gravitate towards capoing to 2 and getting a little crunch out of my G chord with an A in the bass 0330 with a capo on 2. (or you could think about it as an A7 chord)

For jazz I tend to stick to 3 note voicing, forgoing the high D altogether and use voicings like 779x for D major, 7-10-9-x for D7, 7-9-10-x for G major, 7-9-8 for G7, and slide those G shapes up for A chords.

Thanks,
    Baron
    Last edited by Baron Collins-Hill; Feb-26-2015 at 12:42pm.
    MandoLessons: Free Online Mandolin Lessons
    Velocipede: My Fiddle Tune Duo
    Old Time Mandolin: Solo Old Time Mandolin Album

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

my favourite arppegiated riff is 4 0 4 0 > 3 0 3 0 (GDADtuning). kind of proggy

i like using 0 9 10 0 as a G and whatever 9 11 0 0 is....

also, i like back & forth on:
    2 0 4 0 > 0 4 5 0
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Collins-Hill View Post
    I use an almost entirely different set of chords on GDAD tuned instruments than the standard GDAE. Here are some of my favorites:

7050, 7000: D, no third
    7400, 2400: D with third
    2440: Dmaj7
    0550: G no third
    0520: G with third
    0420: Gmaj7 (one of my favorites)
    9970: Em no third
    9-12-10-0: Em7
    6400: F#m
    5500: C no third
    5530: C no third more focused

As you can see, I never fret the high D with any of these chords, but really only think of them as chords without extensions unless I stated it in the chord name (for example C chord 5530 has a D, but when you are constantly working the open high D string, it tends to fade in to the background and become a rhythmic thing with a little tonal color instead of a blazingly obvious and out of place extension. I use these chords for trad, even though some of them are a little outside the tradition. If i need to play in other keys outside D major, G major, Em, I capo up. Sometimes I will play in Am out of open position, but often I gravitate towards capoing to 2 and getting a little crunch out of my G chord with an A in the bass 0330 with a capo on 2. (or you could think about it as an A7 chord)

For jazz I tend to stick to 3 note voicing, forgoing the high D altogether and use voicings like 779x for D major, 7-10-9-x for D7, 7-9-10-x for G major, 7-9-8 for G7, and slide those G shapes up for A chords.

Thanks,
    Baron
    I like that emin, nice sound thanks

One of my favorite oddball fingerings.
    Name:  Jethro via Jim Garber chord.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  1.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by garryireland View Post
    just wondering what chords most players use here.
    I have absolutely no idea most of the time. Most of what I play isn’t a full chord anyway, I never seem to use all the strings at once, but I have a habit of leaving open strings for harmony. Don’t ask me what on earth that makes the chord.
    "Danger! Do Not Touch!" must be one of the scariest things to read in Braille....

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Lindsay View Post
    I have absolutely no idea most of the time. Most of what I play isn’t a full chord anyway, I never seem to use all the strings at once, but I have a habit of leaving open strings for harmony. Don’t ask me what on earth that makes the chord.
    Can i ask Colin how do you figure out what key you are playing in? Excuse my ignorance on the subject

Quote Originally Posted by garryireland View Post
    Can i ask Colin how do you figure out what key you are playing in? Excuse my ignorance on the subject
    I usually know the basic key of the song; but after that it’s just a matter of knowing the chords and fingerings well enough to be able to move about and adapt whilst keeping the body of the tune or song intact. Play one string and see how that sounds… if it’s correct all the other appropriate chords and fingerings will automatically fit. If you know all the variations of a particular chord there’s no reason why you can’t play it anywhere on the neck or using any or all of the strings. Sometimes this is only two harmonising strings - last night when accompanying singers I was using the two bottom strings for bass then jumping to the top two for frills between the verses.
    My old band used to feature a web page on each of the musicians and mine carried the joke: Colin starts every tune the same way… “What key are we in?”….

In fact I just checked and the website is still there…!
    http://www.voiceofthebann.com/bio2
    "Danger! Do Not Touch!" must be one of the scariest things to read in Braille....

19. The following members say thank you to Colin Lindsay for this post: