Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Case comparison

Default Case comparison

Anyone care to comment on the quality of the Collings TKL case as compared to, say, a Travelite or similar aftermarket case? I just ordered a new Collings, and I'm keenly interested in protecting it...

Default Re: Case comparison

The TKL case that came with my MF5 is a good case, very sturdy, compact, comfortable handle, cool crushed green velvet lining. It is fine for routine use. I would fly with it because it should be small enough to fit in overhead. It does not have much storage.

3. The following members say thank you to tnranger for this post:

+1 on tnranger's comment. I have a Collings MT, and the TKL it came in seems very adequate. Seems a bit heavier duty than other TKL or TKL-type cases.

Unless you will be doing some hard travelin'.......
    Riley

Kentucky KM-250

Guitars:
    RainSong SMH
    Blueridge BR-142
    The Loar LH-250
    Recording King RPS-9
    A Strat and a Tele

5. The following members say thank you to rfloyd for this post:

Finding the right case can sometimes take a while, and it really depends on your needs.

If you're looking for crush and drop protection, the hard shell cases such as Carlton or Hoffee are probably the best. But that also means expensive. With the Hoffee you can also get a Thinsulate lining, as well as a thermal lined outer case. That's what I picked because I sometimes need to leave it in the trunk of my car for a couple of hours in the Texas sun, but it might be useful in Colorado as well to help protect from the cold. The insulation will only slow down the thermal transfer, but it might be worth it, depending on your circumstances.

The Travellite is a very popular case and would be my first choice for festivals or if I needed to carry it a long ways, simply because it it light while still offering great protection. It is also very affordable so it's hard to go wrong. I've never owned one, but I've heard great things about them, the only complaint seems to be that the zipper doesn't last forever.

The TKL style cases are great for home storage purposes, and taking to the weekly jam, but if you happen to drop it once, you might wish you had opted for another case.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

7. The following members say thank you to Austin Bob for this post:

I would add a Hiscox to the discussion. I just got one, and so far I like it because all the stuff I have to carry to gigs fits in it. Look for my comments in the equipment forum.

9. The following members say thank you to tnranger for this post:

Okay, I'm with you fellas tburcham's Avatar
    Blog Entries

+1 Hiscox
    Tim Burcham
    Northfield Big Mon (Red Spruce/Red Maple)
    Gibson F-9 Custom
    1942 Strad-O-Lin
    1948-54 Gibson LG-3
    2011 Gibson J-45 True Vintage
    2017 Martin HD-28 VTS Custom Shop
    Bailey Mandolin Straps (NFI)
    Bell Arm-rests (NFI)

11. The following members say thank you to tburcham for this post:

I've had good luck with Travelite. They are lightweight and the padding is an excellent insulator (think beer cooler, but thicker).
    TKL's don't provide as much insulation, but are easier to use and will probably last longer. I have TKL's which are 20 years old and a Travelite which is about ten years old. Both are still fine. I supply a lot of my instruments with TKL's. Nothing wrong with them.

I'd go for a Travelite every time,they are by far my favourite case for both lighteness & inside padding. Used with one or 2 shoulder straps,weight wise,they almost disappear. My own Travelite,currently houses my Ellis "A" style. I personally found the Hiscox to be a bit too bulky overall,but,they are a good case. I tried to buy another Travelite for my Weber but the importers didn't want to know & they're not available otherwise in the UK. I eventually chose a US made Gator moulded ASB case which fits my Weber like a glove. If the TKL case mentioned here is the 'shaped' one,my Ellis was shipped up to me in one ("A" style) & i'm amazed that it survived !. The case is not very well padded inside & looks altogether 'weak'. Contrast that to my TKL 'American Vintage' case bought 9 years back from First Quality in Louisville KY,that one seems almost bomb proof. If i needed another case,i'd definitely go for another Gator case = small,not bulky,perfect fit & very well padded inside,however,for me,nothing touches a Travelite for interior protection,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gator mandolin case (2).jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	131057Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F5 in new case1.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	214.4 KB 
ID:	131058
    The pic.of the Travelite (courtesy of Cafe member Ron McMillan) shows just how much interior support there is around the mandolin.
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

Hiscox for protection.

The Collings TKL for my MTO seems to do the job of protecting my mando, Jordan S, but the latches are really temperamental. Anyone else finding that to be the... wait for it... case? *sorry, won't happen again*
    But seriously, anyone having difficulty closing the latches on their Collings TKL?

BTW, enjoy your new Collings!
    Collings MT-O Sunburst (2014)
    Kentucky KM630 (early 1990s Korean) w/ K&K Twin Internal
    Vega K-Style Mandolin Banjo (1917)
    Vega N-Style 17-Fret Tenor Banjo (1922)
    Deering Goodtime 2 5-String Banjo w/ Resonator

17. The following members say thank you to Pick&Grin for this post:

I like Fiberglass cases for their Shoulder strap D Rings, & gasket edges to keep the rain Out.

& they take and let you remove Bumper stickers well , Too.

Have a Peg, with my Czech F5 in it
    a Cal I got with the EM150 Mando I bought, and an Eastman I got for My Carbon Mix A5

The Hodson D'Jangolin came in a Case I think it was a Thermoplastic , red sparkly stuff
    has 2 D rings & gasket edges too.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

19. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

+1 more for Hiscox cases. I just got back from a musical event called Folk Alliance in Kansas City. The Hiscox rep. was there, exhibiting in the same hall that I was. I was looking for a high quality case to offer with our new A-5 style mandolins. I put one of our mandolins in, and it fit like a glove. I liked them so much that I am going to start offering them with our mandolins. He only had one mandolin case there, so I took it. It's an awesomely built case, which offers a very high level of protection, and plenty of room to carry your mandolin related gear!

Quote Originally Posted by Pick&Grin View Post
    The Collings TKL for my MTO seems to do the job of protecting my mando, Jordan S, but the latches are really temperamental. Anyone else finding that to be the... wait for it... case? *sorry, won't happen again*
    But seriously, anyone having difficulty closing the latches on their Collings TKL?
    I find the latches on my Collings TKL case finicky as well...its about 2 years old.
    Make America Grateful Again!

2013 Collings MF, 2017 Northfield NF2S, 2019 Northfield Big Mon F
    1968 Martin D12-20, 2008 Martin HD28, 2022 Martin CEO 7
    1978 Ibanez Artist "Flying Eagle" Masterclone Banjo

22. The following members say thank you to Russ Donahue for this post:

I recently dropped my Collings MT while in its TKL case and it broke a tuning peg off. I researched new cases and just purchased a Travelite. Love it so far

I'm impressed with the sturdiness and padding of Collings TKL case. I do not like the tightness of the case. It closes so tightly against the top of the instrument that I feel that I need to remove the strap every time. Iv'e never had to remove the strap for storage before and its a bit of a nuisance especially with an F style strap utilizing the scroll. As mentioned by Russ the latches are finicky if the mandolin isn't resting in the exact correct position.

Not to put a damper on any enthusiasm for the Hiscox cases,but Cafe member Peter Jenner (ex.Brit.pat.) living in Australia,visited me just before Christmas 2103.he had with him his Hiscox case which had been dropped from the aircraft while being unloading in Cuba,& one corner was completely smashed off. The mandolin was ok,but the case wasn't waterproof any longer.I gave him my own Hiscox case which i'd stopped using. That's the biggest fault with hard,rigid cases,in some circumstances they can be damaged. Regardless of the Hiscox vid.showing the makers standing on it etc.,Peter's Hiscox was a gonner,that's why i like the semi-rigid Travelite cases = nothing to smash,break or crack. If a Travelite is good enough for Mike Marshall's Loar,i'll go for one any time over any other make of case,i just wish they were more available in the UK. Having said that,we'd need an importer that actually gives a damn !!!!,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

I have good experiences with Hiscox cases and keep my Nava in one. I have had damage (repairable) to a Calton case in the past.

I have had 3 of the TKL cases that Collins uses, one of them had a finicky latch, I looked it over and saw the issue and used regular tools to make a small bend adjustment and set the top part a little more inline with the bottom part and it works fine now.

the other two cases work excellent.

d

28. The following members say thank you to darylcrisp for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by ChCollins View Post
    I do not like the tightness of the case. It closes so tightly against the top of the instrument that I feel that I need to remove the strap every time. Iv'e never had to remove the strap for storage before and its a bit of a nuisance especially with an F style strap utilizing the scroll. As mentioned by Russ the latches are finicky if the mandolin isn't resting in the exact correct position.
    I'm finding this, too, ChCollins. It's so tight I almost worry about damaging it while putting it back in. And there's no my strap is staying on!

Does Travelite make an A-style case? Can't seem to find one.
    Last edited by Pick&Grin; Feb-26-2015 at 11:49am.
    Collings MT-O Sunburst (2014)
    Kentucky KM630 (early 1990s Korean) w/ K&K Twin Internal
    Vega K-Style Mandolin Banjo (1917)
    Vega N-Style 17-Fret Tenor Banjo (1922)
    Deering Goodtime 2 5-String Banjo w/ Resonator

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

TKL Makes a fine case for dragging around town to local gigs and jams. The handle being formed plastic lacks any carry around comfort. Silver Creek falls into the same basic category but with a better handle. These cases are plywood construction and as such are not light but are fairly tough standing up to the occasional accident. Lighter cases made with a formed foam shell like a Travelite can be much more comfortable to carry around and offer sufficient protection for "local" use. Baggage handlers and equipment and extended traveling require a Calton or Hoffee grade flight case. These cases are equal to the cost of a mid priced import mandolin. I don't have any experience with Hiscox and Pegasus cases but both come highly recommended by their users.......... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to UsuallyPickin For This Useful Post:

Here's a shot of one of our own RedLine Acoustics A-5 mandolins safely tucked away in its new Hiscox case . . .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RedLine A-5 in Hiscox Case.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	255.6 KB 
ID:	131102

Hey Jordan

this is going to be a different type of case, but i have one for my Collings in A style and one for my Northfield in F.
    i love these cases, i think they call them the vintage line on the RB site:
    http://elderly.com/accessories/items/MCREU-F-BLK.htm

it is a very stiff type of material with nice firm padding. about the same size as the TKL hardcase, but there is better room inside and better space for other things. the handles, backpack straps(detachable), and zippers are all very heavy duty. These are about the same weight as the TKL case, but have a light carry weight feel. this is not a regular lightweight nylon build. the outside is a very thick stiff type material, very rugged.
    i think a mandolin is better protected in this case than say the TKL. i would have no worry if i dropped this case and it flipped down a couple flights of stairs.

i have noticed thru this winter these cases hold humidity well also. i use a dampit and keep a small hygrometer inside and these are as good if not better than any hardshell case i've monitered in my own use.

imo, about the only place a hardshell case would step above this(and it would need to be one of the higher end hardshells) would be in stacking multiple instrument cases on top of each other and the mandolin case being low in the group-but, would that type situation ever be present with your instrument(question to ask oneself).
    you could easily stack a couple guitars in hardshells on top of this case with no issue, not sure why anyone would need to do that though. just some idle thoughts.

a friend introduced me to these, he carries a pretty expensive Sobell cittern worldwide in his.

d

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darylcrisp For This Useful Post:

Okay, I'm with you fellas tburcham's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Jordan,

While I've commented on loving my Hiscox, I agree with Ivan on the Travelite. They provide great protection and are very light weight, but they have no storage. Someone posted about Peter's Hiscox being dropped while being loaded on an airplane and indicated the corner was crushed....that must have been one long fall or a fork lift impact...nonetheless the case did its job...the mandolin was fine! A great performing mandolin case will protect the contents while surrendering the exterior...just like a high-end motorcycle helmet...which is built to save your life once and then be replaced. This is a property of fiberglass (Calton, etc.) and to a lesser extent thermoplastic (as they have different yield strength profiles). I would have no issue whatsoever in standing on my Hiscox with my Gibson inside...they are just extremely rigid (Lifeflight II). They are not a direct competitor a TKL, as they typically cost twice as much. On a dollar for dollar comparison...I agree with Ivan...Travelite.

I have posted previously why a Travelite provides superior protection for every type event except a roller over crush. Protection of the instrument is fundamentally based to reducing the acceleration of the instrument when the case receives an impact. Since the Travelite exterior absorbs (deforms) upon impact, the mandolin will experience reduced acceleration. Rigid exterior cases such as Calton and Hiscox deform very little upon impact, so acceleration (rate of change of velocity) is much higher...so the interior of the case must dissipate the energy. Put another way...unless you are trying to specifically protect your instrument from a crush, such as being run over by a vehicle, the Travelite will provide maximum protection from normal bumps and impacts. I think I recall reading here on the Cafe about Gibson folks (Derrington era maybe) throwing a Travelite with a mandolin inside around the shop repeatedly with no damage...and instrument still in tune.
    Tim Burcham
    Northfield Big Mon (Red Spruce/Red Maple)
    Gibson F-9 Custom
    1942 Strad-O-Lin
    1948-54 Gibson LG-3
    2011 Gibson J-45 True Vintage
    2017 Martin HD-28 VTS Custom Shop
    Bailey Mandolin Straps (NFI)
    Bell Arm-rests (NFI)

36. The following members say thank you to tburcham for this post:

From Tim above - "....but they have no storage.". Tim,my Travelite centre compartment currently holds :- 2 spare sets of DR strings,a small pair of snipe nosed pliers,a small pair of wire cutters,a Dunlop Turbo-tune string winder & a Red Snark clip-on tuner.That's everything that came out of the Hiscox case that i passed on to Peter Jenner. I do agree however with you excellent appraisal of the Travelite's impact resistance. When talking about instruments being dropped,we must consider that the total 'net force' is the total mass (case + mandolin) x acceleration = F (impact force). Reduce one or both 'masses' & you reduce the total impact force. The heavier the case, the more total impact force will be applied & therefor,the interior padding needs to be more substantial = more weight. One could extrapolate that to the most ludicrous degree,but less weight + more padding is the way to go (IMHO). I'm personally just furious as to why the UK importers of SAGA products (Travelite included), won't import them without a mandolin inside,when they're freely available in the US,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

38. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Really great stuff, everyone. Thanks for all the information. I think, at this point, I'll replace the TKL Collings case with a Travelite. Then, when Sam Bush calls and asks me to tour with him, and I'm traveling all over the world in buses and airplanes, I'll upgrade to a Hiscox.

Thanks again!

40. The following members say thank you to Jordan S. for this post: