Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: calling all Andy Irvine fans...

Default calling all Andy Irvine fans...

This Utube member has a HUGE bunch of tremendous videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/SIMMO7T...ry=Andy+Irvine

And here's some early Patrick Street while we're at it:

"But wasn't it all stupid nonsense, rot, gibberish, and criminally fraudulent nincompoopery?"
    - Neal Stephenson, Quicksilver

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mike Anderson For This Useful Post:

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Default Re: calling all Andy Irvine fans...

There's a lot of funny confluence in that video. I'd never thought to see WDR* moderator Bettina Böttinger and Andy Irvine on the same stage, and there they are.
    Also, step dancers sharing a stage with Andy Irvine is not what you see every day.

* the local TV station of the part of Germany where I live; Ms Böttinger is known for her high-level late-night talk shows.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Great to see the amazing Jackie Daly live again, just the best box player ever. Tremendous band!

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    Also, step dancers sharing a stage with Andy Irvine is not what you see every day.
    Isn't that the truth! I think ploughing through all those videos late last night had a lasting influence on me; I actually dreamed I met Andy and attended one of those private "house concerts" I've seen videos of!

Kevin, I'm a huge Jackie Daly fan myself. I've got most Patrick Street albums, De Dannan of course, as well as "Music From Sliabh Luachra", "Eavesdropper" with Kevin Burke, and a few of his other solo albums. If I had another life to live I'd take up the box as well.

But - has Jackie passed? Wikipedia doesn't know about it.
    "But wasn't it all stupid nonsense, rot, gibberish, and criminally fraudulent nincompoopery?"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kmmando View Post
    Great to see the amazing Jackie Daly live again, just the best box player ever.
    Yessir!
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson View Post

But - has Jackie passed? Wikipedia doesn't know about it.
    Absolutely NOT! Jackie no longer plays with Patrick Street but teams up with Matt Cranitch regularly. They produced a cd in 2014 titled Rolling On. And another called The Living Stream in 2010. Search YouTube for some clips of the pair - they sometimes play with Paul deGrae (guitar). Look at Matt's webpage to find their engagement schedule.

As for taking up the accordion, DO IT!! If you'd like more encouragement & advice, send me a private message.

MikeyG

8. The following members say thank you to MikeyG for this post:

I just got andy Irvine's new book from Germany. a great resource, but it left out some songs from way back when he played with mick hanly and ,or, paul brady. but still fantastic. now all I need is to have andy come by and show me his arrangements!!!!

are you listening andy--we have the most snow in the world right now, imagine the fun.

Thanks for the video, that was great. I was fortunate to see Patrick St. and it brought back some other good memories like the time I was walking down a Portland OR. street one rainy night and passed a pub with a small flyer that read Andy Irvine tonight! I walked in and saw a truly inspirational performance by the man himself for a few dollars cover charge, a pint and about fifteen other people enraptured. What a night, Thanks

Just missed him in Lisburn but got the poster from a local shop after the event, just a nice little bit of memorabilia.
    Am I right that Jackie Daly played on the early Christy Moore albums, such as "The Iron Behind the Velvet"? Must go check my LP collection but I think I’m remembering correctly.
    "Danger! Do Not Touch!" must be one of the scariest things to read in Braille....

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Lindsay View Post
    Just missed him in Lisburn but got the poster from a local shop after the event, just a nice little bit of memorabilia.
    Am I right that Jackie Daly played on the early Christy Moore albums, such as "The Iron Behind the Velvet"? Must go check my LP collection but I think I’m remembering correctly.
    "Iron..." had The Twins, Tony Linnane on fiddle and Noel Hill on concertina, as did "H-Block". I don't have any albums later than '81, could certainly be that he had Jackie on some?...

"Iron..." had The Twins, Tony Linnane on fiddle and Noel Hill on concertina, as did "H-Block". I don't have any albums later than '81, could certainly be that he had Jackie on some?...
    No Mike, you’re correct… my memory has been well jogged that it was Tony and Noel! I can picture the album cover, it’s stored somewhere about the house, but all I could remember was a fiddle and an accordion player, and not the names. Many thanks!
    "Danger! Do Not Touch!" must be one of the scariest things to read in Braille....

No Mike, you’re correct… my memory has been well jogged that it was Tony and Noel! I can picture the album cover, it’s stored somewhere about the house, but all I could remember was a fiddle and an accordion player, and not the names. Many thanks!
    My pleasure Colin! Was recently told I was like Sherlock Holmes because of my penchant for digging until I get the info I want. Truth is, it's easy when you have all your albums digitized and only a click away!

My pleasure Colin! Was recently told I was like Sherlock Holmes because of my penchant for digging until I get the info I want. Truth is, it's easy when you have all your albums digitized and only a click away!
    Same as myself so! Also i get the odd email from Andy. Two last week. Just chatting but such a approachable and nice guy

16. The following members say thank you to garryireland for this post:

Oh Lord.. just watched that video. Don’t they all look so young? Almost thirty years ago. I played that album to death at the time; in fact I performed ‘Farewell to Indiana’ at a concert around that time as I really loved the song. I’ve got it on VHS video but there’s no way on this good earth that it’s going to see the light of day ever again…

Oh Lord.. just watched that video. Don’t they all look so young? Almost thirty years ago. I played that album to death at the time; in fact I performed ‘Farewell to Indiana’ at a concert around that time as I really loved the song. I’ve got it on VHS video but there’s no way on this good earth that it’s going to see the light of day ever again…
    That's one of my favourites too Colin! I tend to choke up when I try to sing "but the shy hare runs so swiftly..." though.

That's one of my favourites too Colin! I tend to choke up when I try to sing "but the shy hare runs so swiftly..." though.
    ...and the heron slowly flies. Yes, that was a special one. But my favourite was The Man with the Cap, a song written by Colum Sands, and Andy's version inspired me to do this song myself; a year later, I unexpectedly had the honor of singing it (self-accompanied with finger-style t-banjo, figure that) in a session with Tommy Sands in a hotel in Glencolumbcille! Tommy's approval made me as proud as a rooster.

That's a lovely song too Bertram, and a great story to go with it! I also love "Strokestown" by Gerry O'Beirne, so poignant. That would be one Colin could do on his new Fylde, not sure how to get some of those chords on a GDAD instrument though! Haven't tried yet, should give it a go.

Since I joined this new celtic band, I have had to learn some Andy Irvine songs.... These guys transpose everything though it seems... I am trying to transpose a song from C to A and it's hell LOL. Andy's licks are very challenging for me even in the proper key...
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Wilson View Post
    Since I joined this new celtic band, I have had to learn some Andy Irvine songs.... These guys transpose everything though it seems... I am trying to transpose a song from C to A and it's hell LOL. Andy's licks are very challenging for me even in the proper key...
    I feel your pain Barry - my old bandmate used to transpose up half a step, not just once but several times from one rehearsal to the next, forcing me to become a better singer (which was the whole idea)! At least I could capo my cittern going up a bit, but once in a while my voice would crack onstage!

I like to play mandolin and have just used it as an accompany instrument mostly to my vocals. Now I am the guy that does the noodling. And the song I have to transpose is Jolly beggarman... the fills Andy does in C are complex to me... and I play by ear mainly so after learning it in C (as close as I got it anyway) I have to transpose it in A...

I looked at the guys and shook my head. Don't expect me to sound like that tonight at the gig haha. I will have to toss a bluegrass fill in tonight. Should be interesting

I learned music for a found harmonium on the OM and showed to rehearsal 2 days ago. I put 6 hrs into learning those licks at least. Then show up to rehearsal.. oh we do it in C not D... why transpose a song with no singing? accordion player doesn't like playing black keys... what? it's impossible to play this in C and I already bring 4 instruments. not bringing the mandocello to capo for one song
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

I learned music for a found harmonium on the OM and showed to rehearsal 2 days ago. I put 6 hrs into learning those licks at least. Then show up to rehearsal.. oh we do it in C not D... why transpose a song with no singing? accordion player doesn't like playing black keys... what? it's impossible to play this in C and I already bring 4 instruments.
    WHO doesn't like WHAT?

and to throw me a curve last night we did Jolly Beggarman in C LOL... keep me on my toes these guys. All said and done though I wish I had found this celtic music sooner because it is just far too much fun to play

...accordion player doesn't like playing black keys...
    typical rookie bodhran player behavior.

27. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

we should from a band called "the black keys", especially since I play harp and we have no black keys!!!

but great you tube channel. thanks for posting

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ollaimh For This Useful Post:

Ha, I think that name might just be taken though oillaimh.